Ireland U20's 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Barry
Enlightened

Re: Ireland U20's 2022

Post by Barry »

Was there any sanction handed out to the English doctor after his outrageous behaviour v Italy 2 weeks ago?
Appears to have been brushed under the carpet.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Barry wrote: February 25th, 2022, 11:19 pm Was there any sanction handed out to the English doctor after his outrageous behaviour v Italy 2 weeks ago?

What did he do?
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

munster#1 wrote: February 25th, 2022, 10:21 pm There will be a scramble to sign Mullins to one of the provinces.

He is still a bit raw, but has the makings of a very exciting winger.
He certainly is a smashing player with a real nose for a try. Lets hope the English don't poach him. Both Culhane and Postlethwaite were excellent. Italian no.8 had a big game and was a bit unlucky to get a card. Their poor out half had a shocker and I was astonished that he wasn't subbed far earlier. Italy were much better than the scoreline would suggest and they have a fearsome scrum. They'll win their final two games if they play like they did tonight
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Lock9541 wrote: February 25th, 2022, 11:31 pm
Barry wrote: February 25th, 2022, 11:19 pm Was there any sanction handed out to the English doctor after his outrageous behaviour v Italy 2 weeks ago?

What did he do?
Tried to keep an obviously concussed player on the pitch, you’ll find it handy enough on google
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That was a tough encounter with an over-hyped Italian team who handicapped themselves beyond redemption with three yellow cards and an excessively aggressive approach.

The Irish display was to respond with hard running, short quick passes and great clear-outs. The Irish display was not as coherent as the French game and possible against full-strength opponents we might not have got the bonus points.

The Irish front-row got a few lessons and Jack Boyle will not have played a tougher game in set pieces or open play. Our second-rows were magnificent in attack and defence, running and playing like athletes. The back-row yet again were exemplars and kept Ireland ahead of their opponents.

A very good win but a more valuable lesson.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The match is up on youtube.
https://youtu.be/k0ZXuNFmiW8
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 26th, 2022, 8:33 am That was a tough encounter with an over-hyped Italian team who handicapped themselves beyond redemption with three yellow cards and an excessively aggressive approach.

The Irish display was to respond with hard running, short quick passes and great clear-outs. The Irish display was not as coherent as the French game and possible against full-strength opponents we might not have got the bonus points.

The Irish front-row got a few lessons and Jack Boyle will not have played a tougher game in set pieces or open play. Our second-rows were magnificent in attack and defence, running and playing like athletes. The back-row yet again were exemplars and kept Ireland ahead of their opponents.

I genuinely think that Top 14 clubs will be after those Italian props, they were impressive. It was nice to be actually cheering for Ireland against Italy in a game, instead of kind of just feeling sorry for them, such has been how good Italian underage sides have been lately. I had actually forgotten they only beat us just before Christmas.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: February 25th, 2022, 10:21 pm There will be a scramble to sign Mullins to one of the provinces.

He is still a bit raw, but has the makings of a very exciting winger.
He looks quality. Big, fast, with a step, very good awareness and hands. Only thing I have not seen is his kicking game.

I think some province might need to offer him a senior contract because he's not going to come from England to go into an academy.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Keith wrote: February 26th, 2022, 11:12 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: February 26th, 2022, 8:33 am That was a tough encounter with an over-hyped Italian team who handicapped themselves beyond redemption with three yellow cards and an excessively aggressive approach.

I genuinely think that Top 14 clubs will be after those Italian props, they were impressive. It was nice to be actually cheering for Ireland against Italy in a game, instead of kind of just feeling sorry for them, such has been how good Italian underage sides have been lately. I had actually forgotten they only beat us just before Christmas.
Yes but if media is to be believed they are pulling the plug on the very structures that have brought these players through. Sad
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Theleinsterlad

Yes but if media is to be believed they are pulling the plug on the very structures that have brought these players through. Sad
That's crazy if true. Any links you can send?

After rewatching the game I was really impressed with Brownlee, Postlewaite and Campbell. The two centres worked well with one another and gave us great forward ball the whole time. I also genuinely hope whoever takes over from JVG fast-tracks Campbell he could be a potent weapon for Munster and Ireland.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

sunshiner1 wrote: February 28th, 2022, 11:36 am
by Theleinsterlad

That's crazy if true. Any links you can send?

After rewatching the game I was really impressed with Brownlee, Postlewaite and Campbell. The two centres worked well with one another and gave us great forward ball the whole time. I also genuinely hope whoever takes over from JVG fast-tracks Campbell he could be a potent weapon for Munster and Ireland.
The panel was talking about it on the tv yesterday. The new president is pumping the money back into the clubs instead
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/022 ... y-feature/

Midway through the article it confirms the academy system has been scrapped
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Theleinsterlad wrote: February 28th, 2022, 2:24 pm https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/022 ... y-feature/

The National Academy is being scrapped.

Seems to me they are following our setup with the Clubs looking after the younger players themselves.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

IanD wrote: February 28th, 2022, 7:08 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: February 28th, 2022, 2:24 pm https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/022 ... y-feature/

Seems to me they are following our setup with the Clubs looking after the younger players themselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is they have 4 academies which then lead to a national academy. This means young players have to move away from home a go to school nearby these academies. I think they may have to move school again if they're promoted to the national academy.

The new system is like letting AIL clubs develop players. That is the wrong way to go. As we've seen in this country, a top school like St Michaels can outperform a "rugby mad" city like limerick because they have the resources to. It goes to show there's a lot of work needed in turning raw talent into professional players. Those schools do most of the work but it's harder for clubs, apart from spotting the odd freak like a Furlong.

The quality of coaching, conditioning, level of competition etc will all be watered down which isn't good for player development.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

dropkick wrote: February 28th, 2022, 9:12 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is they have 4 academies which then lead to a national academy. This means young players have to move away from home a go to school nearby these academies. I think they may have to move school again if they're promoted to the national academy.

The new system is like letting AIL clubs develop players. That is the wrong way to go. As we've seen in this country, a top school like St Michaels can outperform a "rugby mad" city like limerick because they have the resources to. It goes to show there's a lot of work needed in turning raw talent into professional players. Those schools do most of the work but it's harder for clubs, apart from spotting the odd freak like a Furlong.

The quality of coaching, conditioning, level of competition etc will all be watered down which isn't good for player development.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

A club benefits more from a nearly made it than an elite star.

They mightn't all see it that way. It still limits how good they can be overall at development. The more power clubs have the more of an issue it is. Schools have exclusivity for a while then they lose players either way.

This same pull is sometimes at work in the pro game too to an extent.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Theleinsterlad

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/022 ... y-feature/

Thanks for that. Seems like wrong decision but time will tell.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Seems like a penny pinching exercise by the Italians. The RTE pod last week was very good with Bradley, Tremenjus and Berch, a good exploration of the Italian situation (over 50% of the ep. was dedicated to it. I am no clearer as to what needs to be done, but it is disappointing that they are dismantling the positive legacy of Conor O'Shea's tenure. What are they spending their 6N money on?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Peg Leg wrote: March 1st, 2022, 10:12 am

Seems like a penny pinching exercise by the Italians. The RTE pod last week was very good with Bradley, Tremenjus and Berch, a good exploration of the Italian situation (over 50% of the ep. was dedicated to it. I am no clearer as to what needs to be done, but it is disappointing that they are dismantling the positive legacy of Conor O'Shea's tenure. What are they spending their 6N money on?
Gelato
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Peg Leg wrote: March 1st, 2022, 10:12 am

Clubs in voting for the interests of clubs shocker. It's about who gets the pie rather than how big it is.