Graduate

Re: Ireland U20's 2022

Post by Lock9541 »

And who scored tries for us
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Gibbons, McCormick, penalty try and I think Wilson. McLoughlin was my MOTM. Prendergast looks real quality and won it with a kick from the half way line.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

South Africa finished top of Pool A after beating France 42-27.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

dropkick wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:57 pm Gibbons, McCormick, penalty try and I think Wilson. McLoughlin was my MOTM. Prendergast looks real quality and won it with a kick from the half way line.
That is mad, wish I saw it
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:57 pm Gibbons, McCormick, penalty try and I think Wilson. McLoughlin was my MOTM. Prendergast looks real quality and won it with a kick from the half way line.
Unreal kick to win it from Prendergast, but for me McLoughlin was MOTM.
He looks like a massive prospect.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Lock9541 wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:34 pm
It's on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/zpzilmmSZ9g
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

dropkick wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:38 pm
Lock9541 wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:34 pm
It's on YouTube.
https://youtu.be/zpzilmmSZ9g
Cheers mate
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

munster#1 wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:35 pm
I surprisingly agree. On a provincial biased note was really pleased to see the Hadden (LH-U19) perform so well against a big Irish pack. Prendergast is also U19. Next year could be an interesting 20's with the big 2 in Ireland.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Aitzol King looks like an interesting talent.

Unlike some of the other academy outside backs we've been bringing through he has proper size and power.

He seems to like working across the pitch and getting involved too, which suits how we like to use our wingers.

Not lightening quick from what I've seen but he does look like he could be ready to play a league game this year.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lorcan Mcloughlin looks a real talent too. Great power.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

paddyor wrote: July 5th, 2022, 7:47 pm Is Daniel hawkshaw staying here or following his brother to Connacht.
Following his bro to Connacht
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

the spoofer wrote: July 6th, 2022, 10:16 am
I surprisingly agree. On a provincial biased note was really pleased to see the Hadden (LH-U19) perform so well against a big Irish pack. Prendergast is also U19. Next year could be an interesting 20's with the big 2 in Ireland.
I thought Hadden was pushing for motm. Really solid performance from him in all phases. When he gets into a real pro S&C programme, look out.

Prendergast reminded me of Ollie Campbell. Very composed, great vision, makes it all look simple.

Back row were all terrific, but agree McLoughlin was special.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

jezzer wrote: July 6th, 2022, 1:31 pm

I thought Hadden was pushing for motm. Really solid performance from him in all phases. When he gets into a real pro S&C programme, look out.

Prendergast reminded me of Ollie Campbell. Very composed, great vision, makes it all look simple.

Prendergast looks terrific, an excellent prospect. Like you said Jezzer, he carries himself with a degree of authority already.

We had him into camp four months ago: https://www.sportsfile.com/id/2180538/

The only potential downside is that he looks like the actor who played the young Billy Beane in Moneyball, so he could be a five tool player who inexplicably flames out in the majors only to return as a genre-defining general manager in the Hollywood version of his life. That's quite a meta downside but remember where you read it.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: July 6th, 2022, 2:10 pm
jezzer wrote: July 6th, 2022, 1:31 pm

Prendergast looks terrific, an excellent prospect. Like you said Jezzer, he carries himself with a degree of authority already.

We had him into camp four months ago: https://www.sportsfile.com/id/2180538/

The only potential downside is that he looks like the actor who played the young Billy Beane in Moneyball, so he could be a five tool player who inexplicably flames out in the majors only to return as a genre-defining general manager in the Hollywood version of his life. That's quite a meta downside but remember where you read it.
I noticed that he did a lot of "stand and deliver" similar to Ross Byrne. That's quite different to his play with Newbridge so I assume it's part of the plan.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Overall, this was a tough U.20 Season for players & Management. Well done to all involved in the construction and development of two Squads within about 7 months and hopefully, we'll yield the dividend next season.

Negative Points
For this group in particular there were some negatives which need to be addressed:

A. Defensive re-alignment when ball has been lost in open play -generally we're not quick enough to get into position and make tackles;
B. Placement & quality of kicks from half-backs & full-back & subsequent chase didn't fill the field quickly enough to pressure opponents;
C. Concession of soft penalties at breakdowns ( largely for not 'rolling away'), which seems to be a problem at every representative level in Ireland at present. Watching, and copying JVdF would be the recommendation;
D. Some of the most talented players continue to be sloppy with possession or take too much out of the ball. The Munster full-back is a case in point and he needs to realise it's a team game with lots of talented team-mates in support;
E. Our future scrum-half supply has not been solved on the evidence available. Interestingly, the substitute SH in each summer game was an improvement on the initial selection.

Positive Points
For both Squads there were more positives than negatives and the Summer group in particular, although generally weaker in depth, improved throughout each game and through each successive match. The main points for me were:

A. In every game the team played for 80 minutes and despite the concession of good tries & points, we kept going till the end. The impact and example of Rueben Crothers, as Captain, must be a major factor;
B. The Unit skills improved across both Tournaments and both scrum & line-out in particular developed with each group. Midfield was distinctly better in the 6N Squad but given the replacement of so many faces for the summer competition, the evidence of good coaching was apparent;
D. The individual skills levels are almost uniformly excellent. Particular compliments to front-rows & back-rows where the talent spotters & production lines are in good working order. Almost every second-row in each Squad was an excellent handler and ball carrier and all of them demonstrated the ability to use footwork and create line-breaks and offload, sometimes whilst still in motion on the deck;
E. Tackling ability was strong in both Squads and lots of bravery as well as technique was evident;
F. Some really talented prospects emerged with little evidence of Prima Donna's. Great Squad performances.

Overall, very impressed with coaching and leadership. There are some gaps evident but there are far more positives than negatives emerging from this level of player preparation and performance.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You might mention that they won a Grand Slam, which is sort of a posiive
I have Bumbleflex
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Georgia 55-17 Scotland in Pool B earlier, so Ireland v Scotland on Tuesday at 11am in Treviso.

Wales beat Italy 23-20 and earn a shot at the Baby Boks.

Tuesday July 12 (KO All Irish Time)

2pm Georgia v France
5pm Italy v England
8pm Wales v South Africa
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Very good group of props this year, the strongest ever at this level by far. Hadden, third choice loosehead and Ryan, fourth choice tighthead locked the scrum out fairly comfortably against the Boks and the Irish second rows were not the biggest. Only McSweeney struggled at times but he has very good raw materials. Hopefully a sign of things to come in terms of bringing through quality props. Hadden still only an U19 which makes it more impressive. Shame we're not playing Georgia in the last match to see how they would do.

McLoughlin looks a talent alright. Always seems to make ground in the carry.

I was impressed by O'Grady too. Not the biggest but looks a classy player and did everything right.

Hawkshaw is another who runs very good lines and always tries to find a man rather than die with the ball.

McCormick is another who I can see featuring for ulster in the not too distant future. He has a good build for a hooker.

COT has been immense for an U19. Looks very mature too. It'll be interesting to see how he develops next year.

Prendergast looks a big talent. Looks very calm and composed but he is also showing great vision and awareness. His kicking out of hand has been the only weakish area so far.

Time will tell but from all the years watching U20s this is probably the strongest ireland squad. Last year wasn't great but the previous 2 years were so 3 of the last 4 years has produced a good crop.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Scotland Under-20s, Under-20 Six Nations Summer Series – Play-Off, Stadio di Monigo, Treviso, Tuesday, July 12, kick-off 12pm local time/11am Irish time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ohUbzJsM0

15. Patrick Campbell (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
14. Aitzol King (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
13. Fionn Gibbons (UCD RFC/Leinster)
12. Daniel Hawkshaw (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
11. George Coomber (UCC RFC/Munster)
10. Sam Prendergast (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
9. Andrew O’Mahony (UCC RFC/Munster)
1. George Hadden (Gorey RFC/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
2. Josh Hanlon (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
3. Scott Wilson (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
4. Charlie Irvine (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
5. Adam McNamee (Malone RFC/Ulster)
6. Diarmuid Mangan (UCD RFC/Leinster)
7. Reuben Crothers (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster) (capt)
8. Lorcan McLoughlin (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)

Replacements:

16. Dominic Rhys Hey (Gloucester Hartpury Rugby/IQ Rugby)
17. Kieran Ryan (Shannon RFC/Munster)
18. Joseph Mawhinney (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
19. George Shaw (Cardiff University/IQ Rugby)
20. Ronan O’Sullivan (Highfield RFC/Munster)
21. Michael Moloney (UCD RFC/Leinster)
22. Harry West (Ballina RFC/Connacht)
23. Shay McCarthy (Young Munster RFC/Munster)
24. Reece Malone (Loughborough University/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
25. Oisin Michel (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
26. James McCormick (Ballymena RFC/Ulster).