Ireland U20's 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland U20's 2022

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I know it was never going to happen but personally I’d have Karl Martin in there. To me it doesn’t make sense to risk alienating players at such a young age. Keep them involved, get them building friendships with players and coaches, and then it’s easier to bring them back in future.

I would hope there’s some kind of links still there but to me it’s a no brainer to bring someone like him into this squad. To me it’s different to when players are a bit older.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 28th, 2022, 2:26 pm I know it was never going to happen but personally I’d have Karl Martin in there. To me it doesn’t make sense to risk alienating players at such a young age. Keep them involved, get them building friendships with players and coaches, and then it’s easier to bring them back in future.

I would hope there’s some kind of links still there but to me it’s a no brainer to bring someone like him into this squad. To me it’s different to when players are a bit older.
I wonder is it a coincidence that two Boyne players have gone down this route?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote: January 28th, 2022, 3:02 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 28th, 2022, 2:26 pm I know it was never going to happen but personally I’d have Karl Martin in there. To me it doesn’t make sense to risk alienating players at such a young age. Keep them involved, get them building friendships with players and coaches, and then it’s easier to bring them back in future.

I wonder is it a coincidence that two Boyne players have gone down this route?
cant blame Martin for going, leinster mad to not offer him an academy contract, but I guess they have three others centres at this age grade.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Understand the rationale but is he that standard? I know it was a weird game but I didn't see a lot to impress me when he played against us.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 28th, 2022, 3:24 pm

Understand the rationale but is he that standard? I know it was a weird game but I didn't see a lot to impress me when he played against us.
I wouldn't judge him on that game but yeah I should have qualified it with "if he's good enough". I'm assuming he is good enough to be there but might be wrong.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

In this age group they already have Brownlee, Hawkshaw and Gibbons who are all very highly rated tbf
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Essentially a first year academy player playing champions cup though so how much were you expecting of him? especially as it was his first team debut.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Couple of players have been called up to train with squad. Dylan Murphy joining camp this week. Dont know any other names who are also training with squad
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 28th, 2022, 3:42 pm

I wouldn't judge him on that game but yeah I should have qualified it with "if he's good enough". I'm assuming he is good enough to be there but might be wrong.
That's absolutely fair. However he didn't get picked up by the Leinster academy and hasn't played another game for Montpellier so I wondered. I have see nothing of the lad beyond the RDS so was curious.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 31st, 2022, 10:27 am
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: January 28th, 2022, 3:42 pm

That's absolutely fair. However he didn't get picked up by the Leinster academy and hasn't played another game for Montpellier so I wondered. I have see nothing of the lad beyond the RDS so was curious.
only first year academy so is not playing much more beyond this game really an issue? Im surprised Leinster didnt pick him up but covid will have been big factor in this and considering he has been on radar since he was 15 and played irish 18s for 3 years if Leinster didnt pick him for full deal immediately then he was bound to be picked up elsewhere.
Bit harsh to be judging him based on that game against Leinster as well. debut, away against your hometown team etc etc
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Given the pattern of development in Ulster in recent years, it's fascinating to see seven out of 17 Ulster forwards in the U.20 Squad, but no backs. Any indications whether this is because of a specific policy change in Ulster or just a random effect?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 1st, 2022, 9:16 am Given the pattern of development in Ulster in recent years, it's fascinating to see seven out of 17 Ulster forwards in the U.20 Squad, but no backs. Any indications whether this is because of a specific policy change in Ulster or just a random effect?
two of their best backs from this age group who played last year are missing due to injury.

then of the 7 forwards, 3 of this group are u19 - Hanlon, Wilson and McNabney.

It will be interesting to see if Ulster have many starters in the forwards.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Irish u20 side will be named today apparently.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/ ... ales-u20s/

That's the welsh team, jac Lloyd on the bench is brother of ioan the Bristol and wales player, Hawkins has played for the ospreys

The scarlets centre james is highly touted so is mann the captain, Houston on the wing plays for Swansea RFC and looks a good player but is a bit small,. not seen many of the others as they have barely played with all the covid cancellations
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

welsh starting locks are huge, Joe Peard - 6'7 125kg & Lewis Jones - 6'8, 120kg
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ireland U20s (v Wales):
15. Patrick Campbell (Young Munster RFC/Munster)

14. Chay Mullins (Bristol Bears/IQ Rugby)

13. Fionn Gibbons (UCD RFC/Leinster)

12. Ben Brownlee (Blackrock College/Leinster)

11. Shane Mallon (UCD RFC/Leinster)

10. Charlie Tector (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)

9. Matthew Devine (Corinthians RFC/Connacht)

1. Jack Boyle (UCD/Leinster)

2. James McCormick (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)

3. Scott Wilson (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster)

4. Conor O’Tighearnaigh (UCD RFC/Leinster)

5. Mark Morrissey (UCD RFC/Leinster)

6. James McNabney (Ballymena RFC/Ulster)

7. Reuben Crothers (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)(Captain).

8. James Culhane (UCD RFC/Leinster).

Replacements:

16. Josh Hanlon (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)

17. Oisin Michel (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)

18. Rory McGuire (UCD/Leinster)

19. Adam McNamee (Malone RFC/Ulster)

20. Ronan O’Sullivan (Highfield RFC/Munster)

21. Ethan Coughlan (Shannon RFC/Munster)

22. Tony Butler (Garryowen FC/Munster)

23. Aitzol King (Clontarf FC/Leinster).
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Apparently Jude Postlethwaite(Ulster/Centre) has signed a 4 year contract at Ulster :shock: So he must be well regarded. Strange that he's playing 7's and not Under 20's if that highly rated.

Scott Wilson (Queen’s University Belfast/Ulster) and James McNabney (Ballymena RFC/Ulster) are well thought of as well. Looks like a good batch this year.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Completely agree that players like Martin should be in the squad, if good enough. It doesn't make any sense to me that they call up IQ lads from English clubs but can't call up Martin? Let's face it, if guys like Martin get to anywhere near even Euro standard they will have at least one of the provinces clamoring to sign him at some stage. There's absolutely no guarantee that these IQ lads will stay withing the system.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Keith wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 4:53 pm

Completely agree that players like Martin should be in the squad, if good enough. It doesn't make any sense to me that they call up IQ lads from English clubs but can't call up Martin? Let's face it, if guys like Martin get to anywhere near even Euro standard they will have at least one of the provinces clamoring to sign him at some stage. There's absolutely no guarantee that these IQ lads will stay withing the system.
Martin left the irish system by choice, leaving that system means you forfeit the ability to play for Ireland..
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 8:10 pm
Keith wrote: February 3rd, 2022, 4:53 pm

Martin left the irish system by choice, leaving that system means you forfeit the ability to play for Ireland..
I know, I'm saying I disagree with that system with the underage lads. I find it incredibly contradictory in that the IQ lads playing in England are just as likely to represent England, just look at the likes of George McGuigan and Dan Kelly. (I'm not saying that we should get rid of the exile system at all btw).

To be honest, it's absolutely crazy to alienate players this young. At the end of the day there's only so many spots available in provincial academies, you can't blame a fella for taking up an opportunity abroad.