Women's Rugby World Cup

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Women's Rugby World Cup

Post by FLIP »

So what does that mean for qualification chances? Ireland have a chance of winning but they'd need Spain to lose today but beat Italy next week for a chance of auto qualification. A win next week should get Ireland to the repechage as long as Spain don't win big today, and don't win against Italy.

Have I got that right? I'm working on the basis of points difference being the decider.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

We're a decent 10 away from being a really good team. Tyrrell was't the answer and Stacey Flood I don't think will be good enough to bridge the gap but we may have no choice but to stick with her in the medium term.
Lineout was sh!te but the ball handling is impressive, especially when you compare it to how awful it was only 2 seasons ago.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

FLIP wrote: September 19th, 2021, 4:11 pm So what does that mean for qualification chances? Ireland have a chance of winning but they'd need Spain to lose today but beat Italy next week for a chance of auto qualification. A win next week should get Ireland to the repechage as long as Spain don't win big today, and don't win against Italy.

Have I got that right? I'm working on the basis of points difference being the decider.
This suggests Ireland are currently leading, presumably on head-to-head result.

https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/statu ... 42242?s=20
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

cormac wrote: September 19th, 2021, 4:51 pm
FLIP wrote: September 19th, 2021, 4:11 pm So what does that mean for qualification chances? Ireland have a chance of winning but they'd need Spain to lose today but beat Italy next week for a chance of auto qualification. A win next week should get Ireland to the repechage as long as Spain don't win big today, and don't win against Italy.

Ok so in that case a BP win would be an auto qualification?
Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

FLIP wrote: September 19th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Not if Spain win both their remaining matches.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

cormac wrote: September 19th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Ah yeah, forgot to take that into account. Thanks
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote: September 19th, 2021, 4:19 pm We're a decent 10 away from being a really good team. Tyrrell was't the answer and Stacey Flood I don't think will be good enough to bridge the gap but we may have no choice but to stick with her in the medium term.
Lineout was sh!te but the ball handling is impressive, especially when you compare it to how awful it was only 2 seasons ago.
She's still pretty inexperienced at international level, this was only her fifth cap - there are things that need to improve certainly, but it may be worth pursuing with her as equally there are things she does well. She's spent a lot of time on the sevens circuit so she has been held back in that regard.
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

FLIP wrote: September 19th, 2021, 5:34 pm
cormac wrote: September 19th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Ah yeah, forgot to take that into account. Thanks
Ok, so now with Scotland winning with a bonus point and Spain having a LBP, that means all sides are now on 5 points? So Ireland need to win, and beat whatever Spain do (so BP win if Spain win), or match what Italy win by to auto qualify? And a win but not exceeding whatever Spain, or less than Italy, do is a ticket to the repechage. So mostly in their own hands, the only way it isn't is if Ireland and Spain both have a BP win.
Anyone But New Zealand
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Scotland 27-22 Spain (5-1 MP). If head to head is the tiebreaker then an Ireland win v Scotland will secure qualification as long as they get more match points than Spain?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

In the latest table Italy are back on top.. so who actually knows.

https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/statu ... 52839?s=19
Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

FLIP wrote: September 19th, 2021, 9:39 pm In the latest table Italy are back on top.. so who actually knows.

https://twitter.com/rugbyworldcup/statu ... 52839?s=19
I assume that's because all four teams have the same number of match points.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 19th, 2021, 6:03 pm
blockhead wrote: September 19th, 2021, 4:19 pm We're a decent 10 away from being a really good team. Tyrrell was't the answer and Stacey Flood I don't think will be good enough to bridge the gap but we may have no choice but to stick with her in the medium term.
She's still pretty inexperienced at international level, this was only her fifth cap - there are things that need to improve certainly, but it may be worth pursuing with her as equally there are things she does well. She's spent a lot of time on the sevens circuit so she has been held back in that regard.
Well done Ireland on a good win in a game when we did more things wrong than right when in possession but many things more right than wrong when they had the ball. Our mid-field line speed and tackling were excellent but oh for some Joe Schmidt precision in our attacking handling.

The winning try was a thing of wonder. A scything S-shaped run from Parsons followed by quick ruck ball and excellently timed passing to put Murphy-Crowe away and she finished really well with no panic.

Don't know the final permutations but presumably more match points than the winner of Italy v Spain - in a win against Scotland, will see us home. Our victory over Italy says we should cheer them to a narrow, low-scoring win over Spain.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Italy 15-3 Spain at half time
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Italy win 34-10 with a bonus point, so an Ireland win with a bonus point would see them qualify, and anything less up to a draw (with matching bonus points) would see Ireland qualify for the final qualification tournament
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Beautifully out of tune. Always knew Peter O'Mahony was going to have a good game when his singing was most particularly off key. Hope this is an omen.

Good luck girls.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ireland 18-20 Scotland
Scotland last second try and conversion and Ireland will not be playing in the World Cup next October.

Ireland balls this up from the start against Spain. They have lost to Italy, Spain and Scotland combined about 3 times in the past 15 years. They should have walked this group.
End of an era for many of these players. Griggs gotta go now for sure too.
Got what they deserved tbh, nothing.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Very depressing what I watched. Didn't see it all.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

fourthirtythree wrote: September 25th, 2021, 4:57 pm Beautifully out of tune. Always knew Peter O'Mahony was going to have a good game when his singing was most particularly off key. Hope this is an omen.

Good luck girls.
And in the end, like POM, occasionally delivers a high note but in the end disappoints.

IRFU, given their track record in the woman's game in recent times, needs to radically change things.
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Very disappointed, gutted for the team. There is a post mortem to be had, but I can't face it now.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just watched this and the scenes at the end were truly awful, really feel for them.

No disrespect to McMahon (although I think she was lucky not to be sent off) but if Molloy had started I think they’d have won. There really needs to be some kind of investigation into that situation, it just seems off.

Djougang was unbelievable, not just the try, she had one handoff that knocked someone back about 5m. Moloney was great around the park too. I hadn’t really understood why Higgins was so highly rated but got it more today, could have seen her being top class by World Cup time.

One thing I really can’t get my head around is how little ball Parsons gets. It’s not like she needs space to do damage, just give her the ball as much as possible.