Philip Browne set to retire at end of 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Philip Browne set to retire at end of 2021

Post by wixfjord »

https://www.the42.ie/philip-browne-to-r ... /#comments

A serious reign and in think a big success story overall, particularly in light of FAI mismanagement.

I wonder who'll be in the running to take over?

Mick Kearney maybe?

Mick Dawson with Leo to take the Leinster CEO job?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Philip Browne set to retire at end of 2021

Post by blockhead »

Leave well enough alone
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Time for Browne to move on. Ditto for Dawson from Leinster. Both have done great jobs, but a million years in charge of time enough. Hopefully Dawson will get the big gig. Leo's one year Leinster extension could be set up nicely to take Dawson's place.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

deco wrote: September 8th, 2021, 5:48 pm Time for Browne to move on. Ditto for Dawson from Leinster. Both have done great jobs, but a million years in charge of time enough. Hopefully Dawson will get the big gig. Leo's one year Leinster extension could be set up nicely to take Dawson's place.
Yep that's what I thought at the time and this makes it an even better bet imo.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Browne has been ridiculously good for the IRFU and Irish rugby which has outperformed all the other Tier 1 Unions, with the probable exception of New Zealand, during his tenure.

This is despite the fact that rugby is a sport that is in third place for player numbers behind Gaelic games and soccer on an island of just 6.9m people.

PS - Why isn't this topic in the 'General Rugby' section? Chief Executive of the IRFU is not limited to international rugby.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Who would be on the short lists for:-
A. The Ireland Job.
B. The Leinster Job if Mr Dawson were move on.

Throwing a few names out there - McCall, Humphries.
Heaslip, the Kearney's are entrepreneurs and business aplomb.
Any foreign bolters?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschool wrote: September 9th, 2021, 5:34 pm Who would be on the short lists for:-
A. The Ireland Job.
B. The Leinster Job if Mr Dawson were move on.

Throwing a few names out there - McCall, Humphries.
Heaslip, the Kearney's are entrepreneurs and business aplomb.
Any foreign bolters?
A: Conor O'Shea (50) would be an outstanding candidate for the IRFU job (as opposed to 'Ireland', taking in underage, domestic, provincial as well as the international agenda. However I would say the Union would have to increase its pay rate to lure him away. Browne wasn't on Delaney money or next to near it (thank God), but it would need to be in the €300k territory

Skills required are political (mainly) and strategic nous. Helps to understand the direction of travel in the development of the pro game. Face needs to fit in the international arena, must be respected by the French and English in particular if we aren't to get walked on when in negotiating mode.

Kevin Potts is the safe pair of hands option, but I don't think he would command the respect needed at RFU & FFR levels that are needed.

B: Heaslip and Kearneys have no chance re Leinster CEO role as they have next to no experience beyond early stage investing. Neither does Leo, I would see him as a candidate for the Nucifora role at HQ if it came free.

The main roles for Leinster CEO I imagine are being able to connect to all the constituencies in the province and most of all the corporate world (to leverage commercial revenues) and the clubs. Also needs to be able to hold the line in the interface with HQ, so a corporate/ politico with a rugby leaning.

PS - This topic is still in the wrong section. It is not a soley international job we are talking about. Far from it. It is a general rugby topic.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: September 8th, 2021, 6:34 pm
deco wrote: September 8th, 2021, 5:48 pm Time for Browne to move on. Ditto for Dawson from Leinster. Both have done great jobs, but a million years in charge of time enough. Hopefully Dawson will get the big gig. Leo's one year Leinster extension could be set up nicely to take Dawson's place.
Yep that's what I thought at the time and this makes it an even better bet imo.
As I did also. Great minds..... :wink:
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

backrower8 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 9:25 am Browne wasn't on Delaney money or next to near it (thank God), but it would need to be in the €300k territory
In the realms of CEO remuneration for an org of the size and reach of the IRFU that figure wouldn't even be average - so they'd be really limited to someone who likes the idea of the job. That could be good if you get someone who's genuinely involved in rugby and knows their onions, but could be awful if you get some alickadoo type. Yes the future CEO shouldn't really be getting mega rich off the IRFU, but you get what you pay for.
Anyone But New Zealand
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

This is made for Mick Dawson who has done an outstanding job for Leinster. Philip Browne deserves huge plaudits for his reign but there were (as there always will be) a couple of questionable decisions including the purchase of the IRFU offices on LR.

Dawson's biggest negative is that he did such a good job with LEINSTER and this might go against him with the other provinces.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

FLIP wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:01 am
backrower8 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 9:25 am Browne wasn't on Delaney money or next to near it (thank God), but it would need to be in the €300k territory
In the realms of CEO remuneration for an org of the size and reach of the IRFU that figure wouldn't even be average - so they'd be really limited to someone who likes the idea of the job. That could be good if you get someone who's genuinely involved in rugby and knows their onions, but could be awful if you get some alickadoo type. Yes the future CEO shouldn't really be getting mega rich off the IRFU, but you get what you pay for.

All those points are true in the corporate world, but the IRFU has never paid rates similar to their corporate equivalents. Marquee players and head coach are the only exceptions.

What figure would you put on it?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

the spoofer wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:13 pm This is made for Mick Dawson who has done an outstanding job for Leinster. Philip Browne deserves huge plaudits for his reign but there were (as there always will be) a couple of questionable decisions including the purchase of the IRFU offices on LR.

Dawson's biggest negative is that he did such a good job with LEINSTER and this might go against him with the other provinces.
In 23 years there are going to be some things that not everyone agrees with.

As for the offices on Lansdowne Road, unlike Delaney's FAI, decision making in the IRFU is not the decision of one person. That would have been a Management Committee decision.

Mick Dawson must be a similar age or slightly older than Browne. Would be an interim selection and would have to ovrcome the provincial sensitivities that you alluded to earlier.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

backrower8 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:21 pm
the spoofer wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:13 pm This is made for Mick Dawson who has done an outstanding job for Leinster. Philip Browne deserves huge plaudits for his reign but there were (as there always will be) a couple of questionable decisions including the purchase of the IRFU offices on LR.

As for the offices on Lansdowne Road, unlike Delaney's FAI, decision making in the IRFU is not the decision of one person. That would have been a Management Committee decision.

Mick Dawson must be a similar age or slightly older than Browne. Would be an interim selection and would have to ovrcome the provincial sensitivities that you alluded to earlier.
The Committee probably made the decision but the proposal would have come from the CEO. Not just hindsight but the figures seem mental and unwarranted. There is no need for a sporting body to have trophy offices.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

backrower8 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:14 pm

All those points are true in the corporate world, but the IRFU has never paid rates similar to their corporate equivalents. Marquee players and head coach are the only exceptions.

Something around the average.
Anyone But New Zealand
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

FLIP wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:24 pm

What average? How much?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

the spoofer wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:45 pm
backrower8 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:21 pm

The Committee probably made the decision but the proposal would have come from the CEO. Not just hindsight but the figures seem mental and unwarranted. There is no need for a sporting body to have trophy offices.
Not 'probably', they did and do make the decisions.

Not a reasonable assumption to say that the offices were the CEO's initiative. There are more than enough people in the Union capable of developing that agenda, in fact I would say it is far more probable that a few of the management committee sponsored that initiative and handed it to the executive to manage.

The offices are far from trophy standard. A 1980s build. Nothing fancy by the standards of the last 20 years, well off the pace in fact, and in a location where the Union has been based for decades. The proximity to the Stadium saves other costs and time as they regularly avail of the superior meeting facilities there and the offices provide a local logitical support base on international match days.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

backrower8 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 2:29 pm

What average? How much?
The average for CEOs in equivalently sized organisations. I don't have the market figures to hand so I can't give you a better answer than that.
Anyone But New Zealand
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

FLIP wrote: September 10th, 2021, 2:53 pm

What average? How much?
The average for CEOs in equivalently sized organisations. I don't have the market figures to hand so I can't give you a better answer than that.
So how do you dispute the figure I suggested of €300k?

The IRFU employs 250-300 people, but I don't think size (medium) is as relevant as revenues (normally about €85m, medium sized) and prestige and uniqueness of the orgaisation and role (pretty rare type of role).

I think it merits a higher than average salary than normal for an €85m, 275 employee organisation...but the IRFU paygrades drag it back, hence €300k, but I could see €400k for a candidate they were excited about.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

backrower8 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 5:48 pm

What average? How much?

The IRFU employs 250-300 people, but I don't think size (medium) is as relevant as revenues (normally about €85m, medium sized) and prestige and uniqueness of the orgaisation and role (pretty rare type of role).

I think it merits a higher than average salary than normal for an €85m, 275 employee organisation...but the IRFU paygrades drag it back, hence €300k, but I could see €400k for a candidate they were excited about.
Because I know enough about renumeration practices that you would be looking at least double that for most businesses that would be equivalent. Renumeration taking into account both salary, bonuses and stocks.
Anyone But New Zealand
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

FLIP wrote: September 10th, 2021, 6:52 pm
backrower8 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Because I know enough about renumeration practices that you would be looking at least double that for most businesses that would be equivalent. Renumeration taking into account both salary, bonuses and stocks.
So you suggest €600k all in then? I think you must be talking about very profitable businesses, with stock options (not relevant here), that does not fit an organisation that is still amateur at it's core and makes surplus or losses of circa 5% in normal years. The package won't be anything like that.