World 12s

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

chrismcc
Bookworm

World 12s

Post by chrismcc »

https://www.world12s.com/

Not sure what I think about this. Have they given up on 15s?!

How will World 12s be played?
World 12s will follow the current laws of 15s, but with a few exciting adaptations:
• 12 players in a team – six forwards and six backs
• 15-minute halves
• Conversions will be drop goals only
• Only one scrum reset, followed by a free kick
• Scrum infringements are penalised by a differential penalty (a penalty that cannot be kicked at goal)
• In the knockout stages, if matches are tied at full time, a golden point will decide the winner
chrismcc
Bookworm

Re: World 12s

Post by chrismcc »

Scrum infringements are penalised by a differential penalty (a penalty that cannot be kicked at goal)

I'd like to see this trialled with an allowance for multiple infringements in the 5m zone
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Rugby X 2: Electric Boogaloo

On the scrum reset - free kick to who? If it's just whose scrum it was I'm totally sure teams won't intentionally collapse scrums just to get a free 10m run up. Totally sure.
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

chrismcc wrote: September 7th, 2021, 2:05 pm https://www.world12s.com/

Not sure what I think about this. Have they given up on 15s?!

How will World 12s be played?
World 12s will follow the current laws of 15s, but with a few exciting adaptations:
• 12 players in a team – six forwards and six backs
• 15-minute halves
• Conversions will be drop goals only
• Only one scrum reset, followed by a free kick
• Scrum infringements are penalised by a differential penalty (a penalty that cannot be kicked at goal)
• In the knockout stages, if matches are tied at full time, a golden point will decide the winner
Doesn't appear to have anything to do with World Rugby. I can't see them rescheduling Summer Tours and the Rugby Championship as well as altering the starts of the URC, Premiership and Top14 for a short sided game
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This really reminds me of the 30 for 30 documentary about the XFL.

I cannot for the life of me see a situation where the various unions allow any pro players to take part in it. Even allowing for how desperate they must all be for cash it would take something astronomical to make them think twice about it, and surely there just isn't the money for that to be a possibility? They don't even have team owners yet.

How much would the IRFU want to release say ten players? €5m? How much would it take for a player to kick up a fuss and want to be released for it? A year's salary? Three times their salary? You might have guys like Furlong who say "well you reduced my salary and this is a way for me to top it up" but surely the figures would still need to be huge to make it worth it.

And what are the chances of making any of that money back? Nobody will be willing to pay much for broadcast rights or even tickets, they wouldn't in the good times never mind right now.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:20 pm This really reminds me of the 30 for 30 documentary about the XFL.
USFL? "Small Potatoes" - is that the one - unless there's a second one about the XFL?
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

How would the insurance/contracting for this work? If Furlong or Murray got injured in this playing for the 'Celtic Dragons' or 'Irish Lepruchans' I could imagine IRFU, Leinster & Munster not being best pleased.

(Or are they planning to actually invite real teams to play?)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:20 pm This really reminds me of the 30 for 30 documentary about the XFL.

I cannot for the life of me see a situation where the various unions allow any pro players to take part in it. Even allowing for how desperate they must all be for cash it would take something astronomical to make them think twice about it, and surely there just isn't the money for that to be a possibility? They don't even have team owners yet.

How much would the IRFU want to release say ten players? €5m? How much would it take for a player to kick up a fuss and want to be released for it? A year's salary? Three times their salary? You might have guys like Furlong who say "well you reduced my salary and this is a way for me to top it up" but surely the figures would still need to be huge to make it worth it.

And what are the chances of making any of that money back? Nobody will be willing to pay much for broadcast rights or even tickets, they wouldn't in the good times never mind right now.
I don't see any way that the Unions/Clubs release their players for this - as you say it might be possible to purchase their services from their current employers, but it would be massively expensive
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:27 pm How would the insurance/contracting for this work? If Furlong or Murray got injured in this playing for the 'Celtic Dragons' or 'Irish Lepruchans' I could imagine IRFU, Leinster & Munster not being best pleased.

8 franchised sides, akin to the IPL etc
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:22 pm
USFL? "Small Potatoes" - is that the one - unless there's a second one about the XFL?
Yeah there's two although they're similar. XFL a little closer to this because it was from scratch IIRC whereas the USFL was building on the spring league that was already there until Trump Trumped it and then Vince McMahon tried to revive it in the early 2000s. He tried again last year too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You've seen 15s, you've seen 7s, you've seen 13s (even if you don't admit it) - you may even have seen 10's and now we will soon have Rugby12s.

Well to fill that obvious gap and fill the need that no one knew was there, we are glad to announce, Rugby11s.

An exciting new take on Rugby, Rugby11s takes some of the most exciting elements of Rugby - the pitch, some posts, players, a ball type thing - and adds a thrilling new twist - you can't handle the ball!

Yes, in Rugby11s you may only move the ball by kicking it, and to add to the excitement we're introducing the brand new Zoomball. Its just like a rugby ball only rounder.

With the Zoomball games will move at the speed of light as players kick the ball from one end of the pitch to the next. And just to make things more challenging and exciting, we've decided to shorten the scoring zone to just 7.32 metres.

Rugby11s - its gonna be the peoples game!
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:36 pm
Yeah there's two although they're similar. XFL a little closer to this because it was from scratch IIRC whereas the USFL was building on the spring league that was already there until Trump Trumped it and then Vince McMahon tried to revive it in the early 2000s. He tried again last year too.
I'll look out for that so, nice one.
I have Bumbleflex
chrismcc
Bookworm

Post by chrismcc »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:19 pm
Doesn't appear to have anything to do with World Rugby. I can't see them rescheduling Summer Tours and the Rugby Championship as well as altering the starts of the URC, Premiership and Top14 for a short sided game
I'm easily fooled, putting world in the name convinced me. Although maybe having Hansen as an ambassador should have raised a flag, plus the mention of the world's best players!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:27 pm How would the insurance/contracting for this work? If Furlong or Murray got injured in this playing for the 'Celtic Dragons' or 'Irish Lepruchans' I could imagine IRFU, Leinster & Munster not being best pleased.

Same as the Barbarians I guess, not that I think it makes it any more feasible.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure it's on Sky if you've got it. There are 6/7 that seem to be on it permanently and then others appear randomly if you keep an eye out.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:38 pm You've seen 15s, you've seen 7s, you've seen 13s (even if you don't admit it) - you may even have seen 10's and now we will soon have Rugby12s.

Well to fill that obvious gap and fill the need that no one knew was there, we are glad to announce, Rugby11s.

An exciting new take on Rugby, Rugby11s takes some of the most exciting elements of Rugby - the pitch, some posts, players, a ball type thing - and adds a thrilling new twist - you can't handle the ball!

Yes, in Rugby11s you may only move the ball by kicking it, and to add to the excitement we're introducing the brand new Zoomball. Its just like a rugby ball only rounder.

With the Zoomball games will move at the speed of light as players kick the ball from one end of the pitch to the next. And just to make things more challenging and exciting, we've decided to shorten the scoring zone to just 7.32 metres.

Rugby11s - its gonna be the peoples game!
As long as doesn't have offside rules that people say they don't understand.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If you want to watch weird spin off American football watch Legends Football League ( not on a work computer).
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

This idea is a load of nonsense, no players signed up , no coaches signed up, no venues announced , no broadcaster announced no agreement from the irb, not to mention all the covid restrictions that apply to flying in players coaches and fans from all over the world

It's basically a mix of union and league (that neither fan base want) with some seven a side razzmatazz throw in.

Time to throw this one in the bin
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:44 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2021, 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure it's on Sky if you've got it. There are 6/7 that seem to be on it permanently and then others appear randomly if you keep an eye out.
They are on that bt sport 30 for 30 series of documentaries I think, vinny mac is the man to take rugby into the brave new world :D :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Hopefully it'll crash and burn....