One-eyed Australian Commentators

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

One-eyed Australian Commentators

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Rarely if ever has a rugby commentary annoyed me so much that I've turned it off. However, this morning's commentary on the Australia v France game relating to the high tackle by the Australian winger Koribete on the French No 8. The Australian was red-carded, legitimately, by the officials but the three commentaors, accompanied by the noisy Australian crowd booed the decision noisily, despite the clear pictures of the head-shaking impact of shoulder on jaw of the French player.

Player safety from head concussions needs to be overseen by competent refereeing. This decision was correct, unfortunate, but correct. The French player should however have been substituted, by medical intervention if necessary. Player safety must be paramount.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: One-eyed Australian Commentators

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Couldn’t agree more, came on to say the same thing. There were two angles in particular that showed the contact quite clearly and they all pretty much ignored it.

Don’t think it was malicious at all but don’t see how there could be any argument that it was a red. What annoys me more is the tone of what they were saying, it wasn’t just that they disagreed, it was the idea that it was an outrage.

Pretty sure the 8 went off got a HIA though so they did check him out at least.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Was a clear red for me too. Start high, finished high. Red.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

100%! They accuse the Brits of it the whole time, but from my experience the Aussies are the biggest whingers of all. Dreadful commentating. As far as I can ascertain - from Test and Pro14/Rainbow Cup - the South African commentators are the most objective and fairest of the Antipodeans. Augurs well for the URC, I hope.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Could it be the rugby league and AFL influence?
Of course head contact isn't allowed in AFL but they don't book or send of players, which is really strange