Summer tour of Dublin 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Summer tour of Dublin 2021

Post by Ruckedtobits »

One of the obvious questions that Faz and his fellow coaches will be assessing at this point is just how strong is this USA panel. From review of the second half of that game against England, the US have a strong abrasive pack, decent half-backs and a good attacking back three. It certainly appears that we will need to have a strong pack to get a good supply of possession and keep it.

Clearly winning games is more important to this Irish coaching group than merely 'blooding' new players. It will thus be fascinating to watch how Farrell balances these two objectives.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leaving Ireland aside, it will be interesting to see how this USA team develops. The Eagles have always had some quality players, but not many, and they had to carry the remainder who were a number of levels below the standard of their base players. MLR is a new league and it's too early to tell, but over the next few years it is important that it raises the baseline level of players available to US Rugby
I have Bumbleflex
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Or just captures quite a few players via residency.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

hugonaut wrote: July 5th, 2021, 1:47 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: July 5th, 2021, 10:05 am I know the Lions were up against a much lower calibre of opposition but the difference in coaching was pretty obvious. We really really need an attack coach.
From the outside looking in, it seems like [some of] the coaching staff talk about playing in possession one way, while picking a backline that can't really play that way.

Andy Farrell tends to do press conferences with Oasis-type lyrics – almost everything he says is generic, quasi-inspirational stuff. I think that's who he is: he's a straightforward guy and he looks for positives. I've been reading his comments for a couple of years and have settled on the opinion that he's not willing to give a lot of insight to anybody outside the team bubble.

Maybe Farrell thought we could use two big centres to get over the gainline against Japan and we'd leave the 'heads-up' rugby for another day. But it seems like you're never really going to get anything tactical from him in a post-match presser.
True! Many coaches are cagey. Declan Kidney brought not saying anything meaningful in press conferences to an art form. Like many people, i like Farrell. He's obviously a very decent and honest lad and incredibly likeable and we all want him to succeed. I was really referring to what I saw on the pitch, the contrast to what the Lions were at least trying vs our typically unimaginative attack patterns was really stark. There is absolutely no way that game plan is going to win us anything or progress us in my opinion, it's a 2010-15 game plan and the game has moved on. Mike Catt needs to either rethink the attack plan or we need to find someone who will.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Flash Gordon wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:32 am
hugonaut wrote: July 5th, 2021, 1:47 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: July 5th, 2021, 10:05 am I know the Lions were up against a much lower calibre of opposition but the difference in coaching was pretty obvious. We really really need an attack coach.
From the outside looking in, it seems like [some of] the coaching staff talk about playing in possession one way, while picking a backline that can't really play that way.

Andy Farrell tends to do press conferences with Oasis-type lyrics – almost everything he says is generic, quasi-inspirational stuff. I think that's who he is: he's a straightforward guy and he looks for positives. I've been reading his comments for a couple of years and have settled on the opinion that he's not willing to give a lot of insight to anybody outside the team bubble.

Maybe Farrell thought we could use two big centres to get over the gainline against Japan and we'd leave the 'heads-up' rugby for another day. But it seems like you're never really going to get anything tactical from him in a post-match presser.
True! Many coaches are cagey. Declan Kidney brought not saying anything meaningful in press conferences to an art form. Like many people, i like Farrell. He's obviously a very decent and honest lad and incredibly likeable and we all want him to succeed. I was really referring to what I saw on the pitch, the contrast to what the Lions were at least trying vs our typically unimaginative attack patterns was really stark. There is absolutely no way that game plan is going to win us anything or progress us in my opinion, it's a 2010-15 game plan and the game has moved on. Mike Catt needs to either rethink the attack plan or we need to find someone who will.
+1 :clap: :clap: :clap:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

15. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster) 12 caps
14. Robert Baloucoune (Enniskillen/Ulster) uncapped
13. James Hume (Banbridge/Ulster) uncapped
12. Stuart McCloskey (Bangor/Ulster) 5 caps
11. Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 24 caps
10. Joey Carbery (Clontarf/Munster) 23 caps
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) 2 caps
1. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 44 caps
2. Ronan Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster) 12 caps
3. Tom O’Toole (Ballynahinch/Ulster) uncapped
4. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster) 4 caps
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 36 caps captain
6. Caelan Doris (St Mary’s College/Leinster) 8 caps
7. Nick Timoney (Banbridge/Ulster) uncapped
8. Gavin Coombes (Young Munster/Munster) 1 cap

Replacements
16. Dave Heffernan (Buccaneers/Connacht) 5 caps
17. Ed Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 5 caps
18. Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 15 caps
19. Fineen Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster) uncapped
20. Paul Boyle (Buccaneers/Connacht) uncapped
21. Caolin Blade (Galwegians/Connacht) uncapped
22. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster) uncapped
23. Will Addison (Enniskillen/Ulster) 4 caps
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Nice squad. Coombes, Casey and Carbery have combined well for Munster and their familiarity should help. Same with McCloskey and Hume.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

sh!t buzz for Dooley, Molony and Daly who don't get a cap.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Eight uncapped players in 23 is a high proportion against any full international team. Risking any more than that would have been foolhardy by Faz.

The back-row combination is fascinating with three No 8's named. Carbery should enjoy playing with that mid-field and the entire backline looks exciting, not as precise as the first or second choice combinations, but exciting with plenty of acceleration across the line.

I was lucky in the ballot so looking forward to seeing this Squad take on Uncle Sam's finest.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Didn't develop 2 of the 4 spots that need development.
Coombes and Casey fine.
But who's the reserve fullback? Is Harry Byrne gonna get a chance to bolt.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dooley and Molony wouldn't have been risks. Daly was good for it but experience was probably needed once Hume was picked.

The call on Baird meant it would be Wycherley oor Molony

M
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

ronk wrote: July 8th, 2021, 2:13 pm Didn't develop 2 of the 4 spots that need development.
Coombes and Casey fine.
Zeebs??
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Has there been an improvement in Conway's form recently or is he there on the value of being in previous Irish squads/XXIIIs?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Morf wrote: July 8th, 2021, 7:24 pm Has there been an improvement in Conway's form recently or is he there on the value of being in previous Irish squads/XXIIIs?
Rotation, and the need to avoid picking an all Ulster set of outside backs by having Stockdale in there too.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: July 8th, 2021, 2:13 pm Didn't develop 2 of the 4 spots that need development.
Coombes and Casey fine.
Addison looks a likely prospect at reserve full-back. Certainly ahead of Haley or Gallagher. Lowry has certainly shown he can play the position. James Osbourne might be the 2/3 Yr option after some coaching from Lancaster.

Harry Byrne still requires a lot of game management improvement.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: July 8th, 2021, 2:19 pm Dooley and Molony wouldn't have been risks. Daly was good for it but experience was probably needed once Hume was picked.

The call on Baird meant it would be Wycherley oor Molony

M
I’m a little biased but Dooley is a better option than Ed for me. Nothing flash just scrums well and is a decent carrier.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dooley was coming back from injury when Byrne was getting called up to Ireland.

Had been ahead of him much of the time. Hence, he's a low risk way to expand the depth chart slightly.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I think Dooley, especially, is very unlucky here. As mentioned above, nothing flash about him just always puts in a solid performance, and I'd have him ahead of Ed Byrne in the pecking order (Though clearly Farrell and Leo don't see it that way).
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Blue not red blood wrote: July 8th, 2021, 2:25 pm
Coombes and Casey fine.
Zeebs??
Not a bad option at all.
Has to re-establish himself locally which may not be that easy given the experiences of Madigan and Moore.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Establish what? He’s the prodigal son come home. He gets ticker tape.

He’ll get any marginal calls over blow ins like Conway and Haley.