Summer tour of Dublin 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Summer tour of Dublin 2021

Post by ronk »

International Rugby in Dublin in July. And not even a RWC warm up game.

Grudge match against Japan so promising enough.

Might see some guys looking for game time to keep fresh for possible Lions call ups.

Been a long, long season so maybe a summer off is best for some guys too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Summer tour of Dublin 2021

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It’ll be interesting to see what teams we select for these games. We’re very light at prop and centre in particular.

I wonder if Marty might get a recall? I think he will and I’d probably start him with TOT on the bench.

I wouldn’t bother picking guys like Healy, Sexton, and Earls but can’t imagine they’ll all miss out.

I’d go with something like

Kilcoyne
Kelleher
Marty
Baird
Ryan
Coombes (it’ll be POM though)
VDF
Doris
Casey
Joey
Stockdale
Farrell (not ideal but not sure it’s worth picking anyone else)
Ringrose
Larmour
Keenan
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Would hope that Balacoune and Hume get some game time. The former in particular.

Coombes just has to start, as does Doris.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah definitely agree on Baloucoune. I’d hope that the 4 spots for the back three and 23 jersey are split between the three I picked and Baloucoune.

Only two games so not much scope for having a big squad but I’d like Penny, Dan Sheehan, and Harry Byrne involved too.

I wonder if Zeebs might get a call up?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Cronin
Cronin
Archer
Holland
Toner
POM
Stander
SOB
Murray
Sexton
Kearney
Scannell
Ringrose
Earls
Zebo
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Coombes and Hume should based on their season. Tom Daly could also be an option. He's big and offers something different. Chris Farrell has had a quiet season. He'll crash up for a few yards consistently but that's about it.

I don't see too many new additions because I think they will already have earmarked a number of young players for next season.

Carbery is looking very good in recent games. Kicking superbly from the tee and out of hand.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

IRFU want good press and to be seen to be taking the games seriously, while resting guys.

It’s a rare chance to leave Sexton to rest while still getting interest from Carbery fans. Few guys been around the squad like Tom O’Toole, Hume, Daly and Coombes along with a chance to develop depth in those positions with Lions away.

Might be soon for Sheehan at hooker with Kelleher a possible for Lions standby.

It’s a chance to give Larmour another run at fullback but I think that ship has sailed. When is Addison eligible again? If the final was in those 4 weeks then he could be back. Zebo would make sense with Lowe injured and the extra attention. The precedent was set for Beirne.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

While there's hope of him getting a Lion's call up there's no chance Sexton would be happy taking the summer off and I fully expect him to play. Same for all the other contenders (Healy, Ryan, Ringrose, even POM although he has no business being in contention for the Ireland team never mind the Lions).
Last edited by FLIP on June 14th, 2021, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone But New Zealand
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote: June 13th, 2021, 9:53 pm Coombes and Hume should based on their season. Tom Daly could also be an option. He's big and offers something different. Chris Farrell has had a quiet season. He'll crash up for a few yards consistently but that's about it.
Absolutely agree on Daly and Farrell. Daly has had an excellent season with so many positive points – he's played in loads of games, captained the side, scored tries, carried a lot of gainline ball, kicked goals, kicked well out of hand etc.

Farrell has had a poor season form-wise and has a lot of holes in his game which neither he nor the Munster coaching staff have made much progress on. He has literally zero kicking game; his footwork is very ordinary for an outside back and he's not quick off the mark. I don't think that his passing whilst on the run is up to standard for an international centre – just one man's opinion.

In general, I'd like the selectors to reward the players who have shown really good form - Coombes, Daly, Hume, Cooney, Baloucoune stand out in my mind. It doesn't always have to be some 22 year old lad you think/want to go on and have an 80 cap career, it can just as readily be a guy who is in his prime and can give you two or three good years – the Chris Henry type of figure.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

At this stage you want someone who'll have arrived or will still be around for the RWC.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland Squad – Vodafone Summer Series
Backs (17)
Will Addison (Ulster/Enniskillen) 4 caps
Robert Baloucoune (Ulster/Enniskillen) uncapped
Caolin Blade (Connacht/Galwegians) uncapped
Billy Burns (Ulster) 6 caps
Harry Byrne (Leinster/Lansdowne) uncapped
Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 22 caps
Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 1 cap
Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 24 caps
Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Constitution) 1 cap
Tom Daly (Connacht/Lansdowne) uncapped
Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 14 caps
Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 9 caps
Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 11 caps
Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 29 caps
Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 4 caps
Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 34 caps
Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 34 caps

Forwards (20)
Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 3 caps
Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 14 caps
Paul Boyle (Connacht/Lansdowne) uncapped
Ed Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 4 caps
Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) uncapped
Ultan Dillane (Connacht/Corinthians) 18 caps
Peter Dooley (Leinster/Lansdowne) uncapped
Caelan Doris (Leinster/UCD) 7 caps
Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) 5 caps
Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 21 caps
Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 11 caps
Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 43 caps
Ross Molony (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 75 caps
Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) uncapped
James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 35 caps
John Ryan (Munster/Cork Constitution) 23 caps
Nick Timoney (Ulster/Banbridge) uncapped
Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 31 caps
Fineen Wycherley (Munster/Young Munster) uncapped

Selected for British & Irish Lions Tour:
Bundee Aki, Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Robbie Henshaw, Conor Murray, Andrew Porter (inj)
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Andy Farrell and the coaching team have named a 37 man squad for the Vodafone Summer Series which features two Tests in July against Japan and the USA at the Aviva Stadium.

The match against Japan on Saturday 3rd July will kick off at 1.00pm and the fixture against the USA on Saturday 10th July will kick off at 7.15pm.

Both fixtures are part of the government’s outdoor pilot sport event programme which will see limited supporters back in the Aviva Stadium.

James Ryan will captain the squad during the Vodafone Summer Series and there are 11 uncapped players named – Robert Baloucoune, Tom O’Toole, Nick Timoney (Ulster), Caolin Blade, Tom Daly, Paul Boyle (Connacht), Harry Byrne, Peter Dooley, Ross Molony (Leinster), Gavin Coombes, Fineen Wycherley (Munster).

Andy Farrell, Ireland head coach, said, “We now have two games at home to focus on which will be a good challenge for the group. Japan played the Sunwolves at the weekend and will play the Lions the week before we play at the Aviva Stadium and we know the quality of their squad from the World Cup. We will assemble as a squad on the 22nd June and begin our preparations for the two games.

I know the players will come in eager to make the most of this opportunity to pull on the green jersey and play in front of supporters for at the Aviva Stadium for the first time in 18 months. Johnny (Sexton), Cian (Healy) and Keith (Earls) will not be involved in this window as we grow the experience of other players. It will be a great opportunity to see can this group perform at this level.”

Both games will be broadcast live by RTE (ROI) and Channel 4 (NI).
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

FLIP wrote: June 14th, 2021, 8:43 am While there's hope of him getting a Lion's call up there's no chance Sexton would be happy taking the summer off and I fully expect him to play. Same for all the other contenders (Healy, Ryan, Ringrose, even POM although he has no business being in contention for the Ireland team never mind the Lions).
Well colour me surprised.
Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

No Ross Byrne?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

its clear farrell doesnt rate him.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: June 14th, 2021, 11:20 am its clear farrell doesnt rate him.
2 match tour, 3 outhalves already.

Faz needs to give Carbery extra time. Probably wants to give Harry Byrne a shot against USA. Ross changes the narrative Vis a Vis Carbery and Harry so it's easy to give him the summer off when he's already a known known.

He's also been clearly carrying something, so there's that.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don’t think there’s an injured list so maybe Ross is on that?

Some good some bad there IMO. There are guys I wouldn’t have there but it’s not like they’ll all start both games so no big deal. I do think Marty should be in there though. He has the quality to be important and being in the squad might have encouraged him to get back to his best.

I’d forgot to say that we were light in the second row too and that I was hoping Molony would sneak in, delighted for him that he has. Also meant to say that I wanted Boyle in there and am happy that he has.

I’ve said this a few times but I never rated Daly until quite recently but he’s been brilliant and deserves to be there.

Can’t see Luke ever getting back in at this stage, wouldn’t be surprised if other clubs start looking at him.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Timoney before Penny surprises me.

As does Ross Molony.

VDF is the only 7 (yes Timoney can do a job there) but we have 4 potential 8s - Boyle, Coombes, Doris & Timoney

I don't get Billy Burns. But Ross has not been playing well (possibly injured) and I am glad that Joey and Harry B are getting the focus we need them to get.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

POM will play 7 for a game
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Think Boyle could play 7 too. Maybe he's a bit small for 8 at that level but he looks a good athlete.