Summer tour of Dublin 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Summer tour of Dublin 2021

Post by munster#1 »

Very poor opposition and very little will be learned from this game, but great to see so many of the next generation get a run out.

For me it was great to see Conway looking close to himself again. He is a crowd favourite in Munster, and I really hope we get to see him back to his best in green and red next season.

If Kelleher can improve his throwing and become consistent then he will be a world class player. He is a great player around the field, appears very solid in the scrum and at his age is way ahead of most front rowers.

Great to see Coombes cap off his remarkable breakthrough season gaining his first start, and arguably the first of many tries in green.

I would love to see Farrell being ruthless next season, and giving at least a few of these players a chance to break into the big game 23.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:18 am Very poor opposition and very little will be learned from this game, but great to see so many of the next generation get a run out.

For me it was great to see Conway looking close to himself again. He is a crowd favourite in Munster, and I really hope we get to see him back to his best in green and red next season.

If Kelleher can improve his throwing and become consistent then he will be a world class player. He is a great player around the field, appears very solid in the scrum and at his age is way ahead of most front rowers.

Great to see Coombes cap off his remarkable breakthrough season gaining his first start, and arguably the first of many tries in green.

I would love to see Farrell being ruthless next season, and giving at least a few of these players a chance to break into the big game 23.
Coombes' performance was Heaslip like and that is meant as a compliment. He's a very rounded number 8 and it's hard to see a weakness in his game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

We didn't get the game here, instead we got a re reun of England vs Germany 1966 ( I kid you not)

Saw the highlights and was a good win with some cracking trys

Coombes is going to be a really good player, good frame, good hands runs strongly and has a good rugby brain , there is a lot to like about him

Conway is decent but I just don't see him as quite top class, he does a lot of things well but he doesn't have any real stand out attributes at test level to take him to the next level

He isn't exceptionally fast, strong or elusive , not saying he is a bad player by any means but he isn't one that you see on the opposition team sheet and makes you worry about facing
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

JB1973 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 12:33 pm We didn't get the game here, instead we got a re reun of England vs Germany 1966 ( I kid you not)

Saw the highlights and was a good win with some cracking trys

Coombes is going to be a really good player, good frame, good hands runs strongly and has a good rugby brain , there is a lot to like about him

Conway is decent but I just don't see him as quite top class, he does a lot of things well but he doesn't have any real stand out attributes at test level to take him to the next level

He isn't exceptionally fast, strong or elusive , not saying he is a bad player by any means but he isn't one that you see on the opposition team sheet and makes you worry about facing
They streamed the game live on youtube over here, although I didn't find that out until after: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADgT_8_JwLs
Anyone But New Zealand
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Farrell must be chuffed with how those 2 games went. Lots of additional depth and 2 good wins. Looking at our depth chart is encouraging although there are some obvious areas we need far greater depth ( LH being the most worrying IMO )

Hume looked excellent, Carbery slowing getting back to his best. I think Larmour could be in trouble on the wings, Balacoune, Stockdale, Daly, Earls all ahead of him at the moment I reckon.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Daly? Ahead of Larmour?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschool wrote: July 12th, 2021, 11:01 am
munster#1 wrote: July 12th, 2021, 10:18 am Very poor opposition and very little will be learned from this game, but great to see so many of the next generation get a run out.

Coombes' performance was Heaslip like and that is meant as a compliment. He's a very rounded number 8 and it's hard to see a weakness in his game.
I agree. Coombes plays very similar to how Heaslip played in the early days, he’s smart, has a good eye for a gap and has very good hands.
The one area where I think Coombes really excels in is his power. Ireland don’t produce many of any players with Coombes power in contact.

He has an ability to make yards in contact that trumps even CJ.

With Conan, Doris and Coombes fighting for the vacated 8 shirt, Farrell has a great headache to deal with.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

And Deegan, Boyle, and Timoney options too. Ridiculous amount of depth in the back row.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

nearly all of them thru the leinster system.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

betty swallocks wrote: July 13th, 2021, 2:56 pm And Deegan, Boyle, and Timoney options too. Ridiculous amount of depth in the back row.
I personally would see them as a layer below the others, but I totally agree.
Ireland have a good few options at 6 and 8, would be great to have a few put their hands up at 7.
It’s not that there aren’t options, but the options appear to be a bit brittle. I would love to see someone make the 7 shirt their own and go on to earn 80, 90 or even 100 caps.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Openside is in danger of going the way of the NFL running back. So many injuries and shortened careers that many teams use a committee of them rather than invest in an elite one.