Ireland 2021-22

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Re: Ireland 2021-22

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 7th, 2022, 12:43 am
Dave Cahill wrote: January 7th, 2022, 12:03 am Getting dropped for being late is a pretty standard punishment in professional sport - and lets face it, Mal and punctuality weren't always bosum buddies.

Cheika dropped Shaggy once for missing a team meeting. Now, the reason he was late was because his flight was delayed coming back from the Six Nations launch in London where he was representing Ireland with Eddie O'Sullivan and Philip Browne! "You know the rules mate".
3 minutes late wasn't the reason for dropping Mal, it was chancer Kidney's excuse for dropping him. Typical f%~kin teacher
Yeah, what have the teachers ever done for us? Harry Williams, Joe Schmidt, Stuart Lancaster.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Fan with smartphone wrote: January 7th, 2022, 8:25 am :D
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

MOK was dropped for missing two meetings in a week.

He admitted himself that Kidney was right to do it and that he wasn't acting in a professional way.

If Zebo did that we'd be up in arms.

MOD was a fine player also. Weird why he still gets such a hard time on here. Axes still being ground over a decade later!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2022, 8:57 am MOK was dropped for missing two meetings in a week.

He admitted himself that Kidney was right to do it and that he wasn't acting in a professional way.

If Zebo did that we'd be up in arms.

MOD was a fine player also. Weird why he still gets such a hard time on here. Axes still being ground over a decade later!
1: Declan Kidney was and is a kunt
2: MOD was a fine player, but nowhere close to Leo or Mal
c: Zebo has a long way to go and a lot of lard to lose before he gets even close to an Ireland team meeting
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

hugonaut wrote: January 6th, 2022, 12:06 am the original 'siege gun boot' as coined by Bill McLaren.
Siege guns are large bore mortars that lob enormous motherf%~king ordnance a sort distance over the walls, they aren't long guns. The closest analogy would be a contestable box kick rather than a relieving kick.

That said, for me, a fullback's primary job is to deny the backfield to the opposition, deny them easy exits, and punish turning over the ball when it's kicked at you by running it back or returning it with interest. Which is both positional and commanding as you put it. When Leinster haven't had a commanding player at the back, no matter how many other skills they had, Leinster have struggled. I think for example of Madigan who ran better, tackled better, and kicked better than Kearney but was a distinctly average full back.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Howitzer would be a more accurate analogy, but does it have the poetry?
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Dave Cahill wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:46 pm Howitzer would be a more accurate analogy, but does it have the poetry?
Howitzer would be perfect for what people mean when they say siege gun for a full back. A siege gun is a better analogy for a box kick or, a bomb.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I've heard Howitzer used for a kick, Siege Gun for a leg.

A siege gun boot is more about relieving pressure than pinning teams back. So there's that.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote: January 7th, 2022, 4:01 pm I've heard Howitzer used for a kick, Siege Gun for a leg.

A siege gun boot is more about relieving pressure than pinning teams back. So there's that.
An actual siege gun is an attacking gun. A short range weapon to lob explosives over the walls.* If you are inside the walls you are also using short range weapons on the attackers (who likely aren't as heavily dug in/fortified so don't need to be dug out with gargantuam explosives). It makes no actual sense.

*things like this https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 04494.jpeg

https://www.posterazzi.com/world-war-1- ... l044ec107/
The biggest ones I've seen from the siege of Verdun were German train mounted monstrosities that looked as wide as they were long.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:16 pm
hugonaut wrote: January 6th, 2022, 12:06 am the original 'siege gun boot' as coined by Bill McLaren.
Siege guns are large bore mortars that lob enormous motherf%~king ordnance a sort distance over the walls, they aren't long guns. The closest analogy would be a contestable box kick rather than a relieving kick.

That said, for me, a fullback's primary job is to deny the backfield to the opposition, deny them easy exits, and punish turning over the ball when it's kicked at you by running it back or returning it with interest. Which is both positional and commanding as you put it. When Leinster haven't had a commanding player at the back, no matter how many other skills they had, Leinster have struggled. I think for example of Madigan who ran better, tackled better, and kicked better than Kearney but was a distinctly average full back.
Really? Was the Paris Gun not a siege gun?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Gun
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 7th, 2022, 1:46 pm Howitzer would be a more accurate analogy, but does it have the poetry?
Bill McLaren was correct, if not up to date; using commentators poetic licence to compare Hastings kicking to Mons Meg and the heady days she roamed over the fields of Roxburgh, Dumbarton and Norham.... [commentators nowadays would be more likely to rhyme about "Hasting's Howitzers" and they'd be retweeted and chuffed with themselves for a bit of alliteration!]

but are we sure this is the correct thread for such a discussion....?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

leinsterforever wrote: January 7th, 2022, 5:42 pm Really? Was the Paris Gun not a siege gun?

Good catch!

Two questions:
1 Was Paris besieged at the time?
2 If it was would they have had to use a long range weapon rather than the short range ones that you use during a siege?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

brotheroffrank wrote: January 7th, 2022, 6:01 pm
but are we sure this is the correct thread for such a discussion....?
We should have got an early chance to see how Lowry manages aerial bombardment tomorrow.

With the knives out for van Graan I think he'll respond with a more open game (I'm assuming he doesn't want to be sacked).
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 7th, 2022, 6:29 pm
leinsterforever wrote: January 7th, 2022, 5:42 pm Really? Was the Paris Gun not a siege gun?

Good catch!

Two questions:
1 Was Paris besieged at the time?
2 If it was would they have had to use a long range weapon rather than the short range ones that you use during a siege?
there's lots of places where the analogy falls down
1: Seige Guns were made of metal, rugby players and rugby boots are not
2: Seige Guns propel their ordinance using an explosion, rugby players and rugby boots do not
3: Seige Guns were (in general) not mobile and had to be brought to their positions my motors or man / horse power. in General Rugby players propel themselves to where they need to be
4: there's loads more of places where it doesn't work

However, Seige Guns were seen as powerful weapons and did hurl projectiles a distance which is what I think the analogy is picking up so imho it's an OK analogy
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Siege Guns didn't have a huge range. In the example of the Paris Gun, considering the elevation of the gun and the altitude the projectile achieved, its range is not impressive. An awful lot of up for not a lot of over
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

We need game to talk about soon.
This place is getting weird.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: January 7th, 2022, 9:45 pm We need game to talk about soon.
This place is getting weird.
for sure,

but just to bring us back to the Seige Gun 'v' Howitzer discussion, I think we can all agree that both types of guns differ from the Rugby Full back in the following ways: (I'm going to be really boring and just re-use some stuff from earlier)
1: the guns are made of metal, not human flesh
2; the guns ordinance is made from metal and not either leather or a synthetic leather(ish?) substitute
3: the guns weigh in excess of 500 kg which is way more heavy than even a really heavyweight fullback like say Simon Zebo
4: lots of other ways like the shape of the guns, and maybe that guns don't have opposable thumbs or something like that

however when it comes to the range of the guns we all agree that the Howitzer's range is like really, really long say maybe like 18,000 metres, which is like 18km or 1,800 rugby filed lengths, where as the Seige Gun range is more like 7,300 metres (8,000 yards) which is only 800 rugby pitches. so we can clearly see that the Seige Gun analogy is much closer to the actual range of a Fullback's relieving kick of maybe 60 or 80 metres (more than twice as close you could almost say)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Tally ho OSS.
What about the Gatling Gun eh? Now there was a gun, invented in 1862. Nothing like a good war to get people thinking.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: January 7th, 2022, 10:59 pm Tally ho OSS.
What about the Gatling Gun eh? Now there was a gun, invented in 1862. Nothing like a good war to get people thinking.
nasty piece of kit alright