CJ Stander retires at end of the season

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: CJ Stander retires at end of the season

Post by blockhead »

Twist wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:05 pm I thought Franno and Luke’s podcast chat about him was a bit sh!t, which isn’t surprising.

For anyone who missed it involved a lot of conjecture that this is all a smokescreen and he already has a secret contract with the Bulls and sure what would tou expect you know what these project players are like; mercenaries, no loyalty, he stole those caps from Jack Conan godammit!
I listened to the left wing once, about 2 years ago
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: March 17th, 2021, 10:13 pm
Twist wrote: March 17th, 2021, 9:05 pm I thought Franno and Luke’s podcast chat about him was a bit sh!t, which isn’t surprising.

For anyone who missed it involved a lot of conjecture that this is all a smokescreen and he already has a secret contract with the Bulls and sure what would tou expect you know what these project players are like; mercenaries, no loyalty, he stole those caps from Jack Conan godammit!
I listened to the left wing once, about 2 years ago
Mise freisin. Los tres amigos on BTTV, Birch & Murray K. on the42's podcast and the occasional interview on OTB with the likes of RO'G or BOD and that's enough for me.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Stephen Jones in his player ratings of yesterday's match in the Sunday Times, when assessing CJ he referred to contractual issues behind Stander's retirement. Any truth to this or is it Jones doing what he does best that being a kn*b or a troll or both?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

John23 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 6:53 pm Stephen Jones in his player ratings of yesterday's match in the Sunday Times, when assessing CJ he referred to contractual issues behind Stander's retirement. Any truth to this or is it Jones doing what he does best that being a kn*b or a troll or both?
You’d have to think that if Stander was walking because he wasn’t happy with what was on the table that he’d have potential offers abroad, no?

I’d say take him at his word until he togs out for someone else?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

John23 wrote:Stephen Jones in his player ratings of yesterday's match in the Sunday Times, when assessing CJ he referred to contractual issues behind Stander's retirement. Any truth to this or is it Jones doing what he does best that being a kn*b or a troll or both?
A couple of Irish writers have intimated similar
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Well we know with COVID that players took pay cuts and that there was a lot of downward pressure on renewal.

I suppose that was a factor. As were family issues. There are rax breaks for retiring in Europe, which is a thumb on the scales for retirement.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If, after a period of rest and reflection at home, Stander decides that he misses the game and retired too early and decides to return to rugby with a more 'local' professional side - would he be considered to be available for selection by Ireland. The Bulls, for example, will be playing in 'our' domestic league - in the past we have selected a player from a non-irish team in the league (Tommy Bowe). We have also not selected a player from a non-Irish team in the league (Tadhg Beirne) until he returned to Ireland.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:03 pm If, after a period of rest and reflection at home, Stander decides that he misses the game and retired too early and decides to return to rugby with a more 'local' professional side - would he be considered to be available for selection by Ireland. The Bulls, for example, will be playing in 'our' domestic league - in the past we have selected a player from a non-irish team in the league (Tommy Bowe). We have also not selected a player from a non-Irish team in the league (Tadhg Beirne) until he returned to Ireland.
In theory exceptions are possible. Probably no.

Beirne had finished his season and was done with Scarlets. The player release argument wasn't relevant. Nor did it make sense to penalize him when he took a pay cut to move to Ireland. Also, he originally moved because he was cut, so rules to encourage elite players to stay in Ireland weren't apt.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 11:13 pm
Beirne had finished his season and was done with Scarlets. The player release argument wasn't relevant. Nor did it make sense to penalize him when he took a pay cut to move to Ireland. Also, he originally moved because he was cut, so rules to encourage elite players to stay in Ireland weren't apt.
Think we might be saying the same thing as regards the Beirne situation?
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oh yeah, I was focusing on the part where Beirne was a registered Scarlet who hadn't trained with Munster when he toured.

He was technically an exception to an unwritten rule.