6 Nations 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
ronk
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10977
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 7:19 am
Another thing to mention was that we took a lot of shots at goal. Obviously you have to get kickable penalties in order to have the option, but I can't recall another game in the last six or seven years when we took so many kicks – 6 penalties for 18 points. Having just checked, it looks like Sexton has never kicked 6 penalties in a test match before.

I think we quietly learnt our lesson in the Autumn and the Munster comeback against Clermont was a reflection of the new strategy.

You can defend a line out on your line, you can’t defend a penalty kick.

User avatar
munster#1
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4656
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by munster#1 »

Absolutely brilliant victory by the men in green.
They should commitment and a calmness that has been missing of late.

Great to see so many players stand up.
Henshaw was great again, and has surely cemented his spot on the plane to wherever the lions tour takes place.
Furlong had another great game, as did Beirne and Henderson.

That was probably one of Murray’s best games in green for a while now, and he put great pace on the ball.

IMO Aki, red card aside, was a major factor in that display.

The best thing for me was seeing Earls keep the doubters quiet for another while. Plenty of people had him written off prior to the 6 nations, then they were ready to throw him under the bud after the first game, but today he showed what he can do, and that age is only a number.

OTT
Mullet
Posts: 1592
Joined: February 2nd, 2012, 4:19 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by OTT »

munster#1 wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 9:39 am

The best thing for me was seeing Earls keep the doubters quiet for another while. Plenty of people had him written off prior to the 6 nations, then they were ready to throw him under the bud after the first game, but today he showed what he can do, and that age is only a number.


Ah sure I wouldn’t worry what anyone says on here, there was a fella doing the same about Sexton as recently as 04/02/2021. The only thing people are generally right about is that age will eventually catch up with them, like you literally can’t go on forever, Hook was even right about Drico with that one.

Thought Earls had a poor game against Wales (what did you think yourself?) but he’s been great in every game since. If you’re an Ireland rugby fan (but not especially a Munster one) you have probably managed to become a big Keith Earls fan over the last 6 or 7 years, I certainly have. Wasn’t sure if he would be a Schmidt kind of player but he became the poster boy of what Schmidt wanted in a player and that tells you all you need to know about Keith Earls.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English

User avatar
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5293
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by TerenureJim »

Think a lot of the poor performance from Earls and Lowe early on had to do with tactics, to be honest aside from Henshaw/Sexton pulling strings in the back line there's still serious questions about our attack.

Genge should be in for a fairly long sideline stint headlock on Kelliher and cheap elbow shots on a trapped Sexton, think the ref and TMO have to see some consequences for failure to take action when asked to look at a fairly serious allegation if world rugby want to send a message that it's not acceptable and to show they want to protect players.

User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6390
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Location: Up Your Stairs!

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by blockhead »

Regarding Murray. I thought a lot of his passes to Johnny were above his head. Played reasonably well otherwise.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!

wixfjord
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6738
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by wixfjord »

The big scrum penalty for us in the second half was a sweet, sweet moment.

On the first reset Genge totally turned in and you could see Furlong had him in ribbons.

Then Sinckler started mouthing off and calling for another scrum immediately, and our trio blew them away.

Massive moment and Genge's later actions just show how much of a coward he is. Bested comprehensively in the area he's paid to deliver in, then resorts to scumbaggery.

User avatar
Twist
Mullet
Posts: 1489
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Twist »

TerenureJim wrote:Think a lot of the poor performance from Earls and Lowe early on had to do with tactics, to be honest aside from Henshaw/Sexton pulling strings in the back line there's still serious questions about our attack.

Genge should be in for a fairly long sideline stint headlock on Kelliher and cheap elbow shots on a trapped Sexton, think the ref and TMO have to see some consequences for failure to take action when asked to look at a fairly serious allegation if world rugby want to send a message that it's not acceptable and to show they want to protect players.
Yeah, Raynal’s reaction was totally unacceptable. “I’ll review it after the match”. What was he thinking?

User avatar
Xanthippe
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3843
Joined: September 5th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Xanthippe »

hugonaut wrote:
March 21st, 2021, 7:19 am
Another thing to mention was that we took a lot of shots at goal. Obviously you have to get kickable penalties in order to have the option, but I can't recall another game in the last six or seven years when we took so many kicks – 6 penalties for 18 points. Having just checked, it looks like Sexton has never kicked 6 penalties in a test match before.
It was also his highest points total for Ireland - his highest previous was 19 which he scored twice but they both included tries
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE



I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever

User avatar
limecat
Lazy totalitarian
Posts: 5362
Joined: February 17th, 2005, 10:25 pm
Location: a strangely isolated place
Contact:

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by limecat »

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on twitter.

Image

betty swallocks
Learner
Posts: 71
Joined: May 15th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by betty swallocks »

Has Genge been cited yet? Is there a time limit within which he must be cited? He's a reprehensible little thug.

JB1973
Mullet
Posts: 1801
Joined: June 7th, 2013, 10:30 am

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by JB1973 »

from the highs of Friday night to the lows of Saturday, blimey sport can you lift you up and deflate you in such extreme manners :(

wales one man up , ten points up and ten minutes to go , threw that plain and simple

our replacement half backs game management was dreadful in that last ten and so was liam Williams discipline (harsh or not he gave the ref the option) yes we should have had a pen try but that aside pretty much every refs calls has gone our way so we have to take that one

Huge improvement on last year and we played some excellent rugby in the last 3 matches and in LRZ we have a box office player and North looks reborn at 13 , biggar is playing out of his skin and the back row as usual were excellent but man that was a bitter loss to take

As for Ireland , v impressive stuff beirne is the player of the 6 nations for me, and your line out is now one serious weapon, the young lad at 15 is excellent and conan was also a stand out, cj stander must be made of concrete laughing as he took huge hits!

Well played on an excellent win for you guys

FLIP
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2093
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by FLIP »

Genge gets off Scot free with his assault on Sexton.

What sort of message is World Rugby sending on player safety with this? And what sort of message are the IRFU sending not kicking up a massive fuss about it?
Anyone But New Zealand

User avatar
Dexter
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3151
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 11:36 am

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Dexter »

Murray Kinsalla just tweeted that the 6N have confirmed that Genge WASN'T cited! :shock:
Dont Panic!

riocard911
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2361
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:13 pm
Genge gets off Scot free with his assault on Sexton.

What sort of message is World Rugby sending on player safety with this? And what sort of message are the IRFU sending not kicking up a massive fuss about it?
"Values", "Respect", "Player Welfare", "Responsibility to protect" - it's all just guff. Get used to it!!! (Personally I'm more annoyed now than by the original offence. If this is let stand, Six Nations and with them the Unions and World Rugby are just taking the piss).

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2031
Joined: August 11th, 2006, 2:59 pm
Location: Location Location

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by The Doc »

Dexter wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:15 pm
Murray Kinsalla just tweeted that the 6N have confirmed that Genge WASN'T cited! :shock:
Does that mean it wasn't deemed a potential red card and therefore not eligible for citing?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you

riocard911
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2361
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by riocard911 »

The Doc wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:55 pm
Dexter wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:15 pm
Murray Kinsalla just tweeted that the 6N have confirmed that Genge WASN'T cited! :shock:
Does that mean it wasn't deemed a potential red card and therefore not eligible for citing?
That's exactly what it means.

If I was Philip Browne, I'd be put the word out to Andy Friend and the Connacht lads, that should Genge play in the Challenge Cup fixture, that he be made pay for his attack on the Irish captain and that if anyone gets into hot water about it, that the IRFU will look after them.

riocard911
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2361
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by riocard911 »

If Genge gets away with scot-free what he did to Sexton in full public view and then boasting about it to the ref - "I did, yeah!" -, it's just more proof, as Rassie Rasmus said and the rest of them in the other leading rugby nations think, that Ireland are "soft". Until we change this - by whatever means necessary -, we will never win a k.o. game at the RWC and continue to be the World Cup under-achievers, IMO.

User avatar
hugonaut
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5564
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by hugonaut »

riocard911 wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm
FLIP wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:13 pm
Genge gets off Scot free with his assault on Sexton.

What sort of message is World Rugby sending on player safety with this? And what sort of message are the IRFU sending not kicking up a massive fuss about it?
"Values", "Respect", "Player Welfare", "Responsibility to protect" - it's all just guff. Get used to it!!! (Personally I'm more annoyed now than by the original offence. If this is let stand, Six Nations and with them the Unions and World Rugby are just taking the piss).
Rugby disciplinary boards are a long-standing farce.

It seems really odd to me that red cards have gone from censuring things that are outside the norms of the game [i.e. kicking players in the head, elbowing prone players in the face] to penalising accidental collisions that happen in a split second, i.e. Bundee Aki's high tackle on Billy Vunipola or Andy Warwick's leading forearm on Ed Byrne.

How's it not a red card, in any case? Genge leads with an elbow to Sexton's head; there's a high degree of force; there's no mitigating factors. It's a red card, even without the obvious thuggery element.

F*cking ridiculous. He's a pr*ck too!

User avatar
Twist
Mullet
Posts: 1489
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 2:33 am

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Twist »

hugonaut wrote:
riocard911 wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm
FLIP wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 2:13 pm
Genge gets off Scot free with his assault on Sexton.

What sort of message is World Rugby sending on player safety with this? And what sort of message are the IRFU sending not kicking up a massive fuss about it?
"Values", "Respect", "Player Welfare", "Responsibility to protect" - it's all just guff. Get used to it!!! (Personally I'm more annoyed now than by the original offence. If this is let stand, Six Nations and with them the Unions and World Rugby are just taking the piss).
Rugby disciplinary boards are a long-standing farce.

It seems really odd to me that red cards have gone from censuring things that are outside the norms of the game [i.e. kicking players in the head, elbowing prone players in the face] to penalising accidental collisions that happen in a split second, i.e. Bundee Aki's high tackle on Billy Vunipola or Andy Warwick's leading forearm on Ed Byrne.

How's it not a red card, in any case? Genge leads with an elbow to Sexton's head; there's a high degree of force; there's no mitigating factors. It's a red card, even without the obvious thuggery element.

F*cking ridiculous. He's a pr*ck too!
Genge even said he did it in front of the referee. Shambolic.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riocard911
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2361
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by riocard911 »

Even Tendai Mtawarira, one of the greatest players in the history of the game, watching from South Africa, was not particularly impressed with his fellow prop and wrote on Twitter:

"This Ellis Genge dude needs to be dealt with (Emoji with raised eyebrow)
(Emoji with look of triumph) properly..

https://twitter.com/Beast_TM/status/1373898364618694656

Post Reply