6 Nations 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 25th, 2021, 3:32 pm Nobody should take the attacking potential of this Italian team for granted. Based on their stats from first two games, their weakness is defensive. Franco Smith seems like he has a good young half-back pairing and an exciting centree combination. Both wingers can score tries from distance or half chances and their full back is a confident attacker.

Their pack are no slouches either and nothing in the Irish line-up should frighten them. Ireland need to get 10 pts plus ahead and then keep possession rather that kicking back to them.
Their defence tho' ???????
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Pandemic aside, Irish rugby is at a very storage place at the moment. The amount of "Irish supporters" willing Italy to win on Saturday on various forms of social media is really quite sad.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/andy-far ... criticism/

Edit:
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on February 26th, 2021, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Spellcheck can be really really frustrating at thymes
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:26 am Pandemic aside, Irish rugby is at a very storage place at the moment. The amount of "Irish supporters" willing Italy to win on Saturday on various forms of social media is really quite sad.

Edit:
I haven’t seen too many willing Ireland to lose, and if there are people saying that, you’d have to assume that they are in the minority.
However, you have to expect some great frustration from Irish rugby fans who are also provincial rugby fans.

When you see the 4 provinces flying high in the league, and 2 of the 4 going well in Europe, Farrell’s selection policy does not add up.

It definitely appears that faults are overlooked if you are a Leinster player, and highlighted if you are not.

Both Lowe and JGP have shown that they have very costly weaknesses in their games, as has Larmour on a number of occasions.
Kelleher provides a very poor return from the lineout, with his try coming from a poor Irish lineout.

I personally have no issues with the rest of the players, and regardless of the team that takes to the field I will be hoping that Ireland win, but this does not mean that I must blindly agree with everything a coach does.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I'm disappointed that Healy was rewarded for his best game of the year by being dropped. Kilcoyne didn't earn that jersey back. I don't think Herring nor Burns are anything like international standard. Earls hasn't looked like an attacking threat for Munster, let alone Ireland, in a year but at least he was less prone to brainfarts than Larmour, Stockdale, and Lowe. And then that Wales match happened where he stunk so very, very bad that he can have no complaints.

Personally I wouldnt have Lowe, Burns, or Herring near an Irish team and I can't understand how Cooney and Carty aren't. Both had a dip in form, but both are back. I assume Lowe is there as Stockdale and Conway haven't played a game in quite some time. He's lucky do and I also guess some of that is Covid restrictions on chopping and changing the squad.

I'd swap out the half backs, a winger, and a couple of subs
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I don't really pay much attention to where they are selecting from. The Coaching team know the plan they want to implement and the players that fit that plan. They also have fitness and performance data on everyone. They are selecting with information we don't have so we have to trust them. And if the results aren't good they lose their jobs.

In my opinion some of the selections are confusing but I will be cheering them on when the take the field no matter what province they are from.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

munster#1 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:39 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: February 26th, 2021, 9:26 am Pandemic aside, Irish rugby is at a very storage place at the moment. The amount of "Irish supporters" willing Italy to win on Saturday on various forms of social media is really quite sad.

Edit:
I haven’t seen too many willing Ireland to lose, and if there are people saying that, you’d have to assume that they are in the minority.
However, you have to expect some great frustration from Irish rugby fans who are also provincial rugby fans.

When you see the 4 provinces flying high in the league, and 2 of the 4 going well in Europe, Farrell’s selection policy does not add up.

It definitely appears that faults are overlooked if you are a Leinster player, and highlighted if you are not.

Both Lowe and JGP have shown that they have very costly weaknesses in their games, as has Larmour on a number of occasions.
Kelleher provides a very poor return from the lineout, with his try coming from a poor Irish lineout.

I personally have no issues with the rest of the players, and regardless of the team that takes to the field I will be hoping that Ireland win, but this does not mean that I must blindly agree with everything a coach does.
I don't think that stands up to close scrutiny if I'm honest. Earls had a bit of a mare against Wales and was retained against France with many calling for his head. In my opinion he repaid that faith against France with a decent outing so you'd only hope the guys retained for tomorrow can do likewise. Stockedale also had some problems early on this season and was retained likewise Freddie Burns this year.

I thinks it's only a "Blue" thing if you want it to be a "Blue" thing to honest. I think it's more likely that AF is a 'loyalty' coach and wants to back guys so that they will repay him on the pitch. Whether that will work out for him long term, only time will tell.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Some of the writing off of Lowe is a bit ridiculous.

He had similar issues at the start of his Leinster career.

If he can fix up defensively then what he brings in attack is almost unparalleled. It's a bit 'if', but to write him off at test level after a handful of games is nonsense imo.

Let's not forget he was inches away from a game winning try that would've been a hugely impressive finish.

Likewise JGP. Writing a 9 off for one defensive error in which he bites in is crazy.
He has added a lot to our attacking game and is an excellent option, particularly off the bench.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I hear Andy Farrell has a Leinster bias now, Ted.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

As long as I can have a go at the Welsh :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:32 pm I hear Andy Farrell has a Leinster bias now, Ted.
That’s why he picked Kilcoyne ahead of Healy, Beirne ahead off Ruddock, Casey ahead of several players, Burns ahead of Ross Byrne, Earls ahead of Aki to bench. :roll:
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

munster#1 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Edit:

Or....perhaps Leinster are a tad bit better therefore to get into that leinster team you need to be at a higher level....Who was last really quality international Munster have produced? Murray or POM...
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Prediction time:-
Italy v Ireland - BP win for Ireland.
Wales v England.
A mish mash of a season for both teams in terms of performance.
Wales by Adam Beard's shortest whisker. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

hugonaut wrote: February 26th, 2021, 7:32 pm I hear Andy Farrell has a Leinster bias now, Ted.
https://youtu.be/C4zWdSxKYFo
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Y'know Earls's dad was cheated out of Ireland caps dont you?
Been happening for generations so it has.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

blockhead wrote: February 27th, 2021, 12:51 pm
Y'know Earls's dad was cheated out of Ireland caps dont you?
Been happening for generations so it has.
I didn't. I have literally never, ever heard that at all. Amazing they kept so quiet.
IanD
Official Mascot

Re: 6 Nations 202

Post by IanD »

Henshaw has been incredible. He is everywhere involved in everything.

Even if he got a red card in the 3rd minute of the second half he should still win MOTM.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

I missed why Larmour was subbed?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

yellabelly1961 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:37 pm I missed why Larmour was subbed?
minor muscle injury according to Murray Kinsella
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

cormac wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:38 pm
yellabelly1961 wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:37 pm I missed why Larmour was subbed?
minor muscle injury according to Murray Kinsella
Thanks, hopefully not serious