6 Nations 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Dave Cahill »

Somehow I don't think what Genge said would amount to an admission of guilt on any planet that has invented sarcasm. Going all Charles Bronson on him would only result in a penalty that would make his entry point if he had been cited look like a gentle tickling.

Obviously it should have been a red card, that not being the case it should have resulted in a citing. It hasn't so lets all put on our big boy pants and step away from the marla.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 5:20 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm
FLIP wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:13 pm Genge gets off Scot free with his assault on Sexton.

What sort of message is World Rugby sending on player safety with this? And what sort of message are the IRFU sending not kicking up a massive fuss about it?
"Values", "Respect", "Player Welfare", "Responsibility to protect" - it's all just guff. Get used to it!!! (Personally I'm more annoyed now than by the original offence. If this is let stand, Six Nations and with them the Unions and World Rugby are just taking the piss).
Rugby disciplinary boards are a long-standing farce.

It seems really odd to me that red cards have gone from censuring things that are outside the norms of the game [i.e. kicking players in the head, elbowing prone players in the face] to penalising accidental collisions that happen in a split second, i.e. Bundee Aki's high tackle on Billy Vunipola or Andy Warwick's leading forearm on Ed Byrne.

How's it not a red card, in any case? Genge leads with an elbow to Sexton's head; there's a high degree of force; there's no mitigating factors. It's a red card, even without the obvious thuggery element.

F*cking ridiculous. He's a pr*ck too!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had the exact same thoughts, it's a joke.

I've said this many times but for me there needs to be a root and branch reform of the disciplinary process. There are times when someone is unlucky with a tackle and it takes the ref ages to decide if it's red or not but then not only are they sent off but they cop a ban for a few weeks. Outcome based decisions are a farce as well, how can you pick someone up and throw them to the ground but the colour of the card depends on whether they managed to curl their head/neck out of the way.

I think WR come up with changes based on whatever problem they're facing at that particular moment (the spear tackle which then eradicated dump tackles that were perfectly safe, tackles in the air after Payne's incident, focus on neck rolls that just led to more side entries/destroyed knees, and now anything involving the head) and think that those incidents exist in a bubble. They don't seem to ask why they happen or see how they're linked to everything else around it in terms of both the effect on the game and how they tie in with how other offences are punished.

I'm certainly not condoning Willemse's actions on Saturday but why did he do what he did? Probably because Wales were getting away with murder at every ruck before that. Sometimes the foul play is a symptom of the problem, not the root of it, and if WR recognised this then we'd see vast changes. Offside is another one, if it was policed better than we'd probably see fewer high tackles like the one on Ringrose against Wales. How about they look into stopping things at source instead of just punishing offences when they inevitable happen?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

They have, for whatever reason, decided the way to deal with the problem of high tackles is through on field sanction. I can kind of see their point in as much as the best way to do it is, in my opinion, through a change in the law to lower the legal tackle height even further to the armpit line - but they can't really just drop a huge law change in mid-season without trialling it. So this is what they are doing.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 6:39 pm Somehow I don't think what Genge said would amount to an admission of guilt on any planet that has invented sarcasm. Going all Charles Bronson on him would only result in a penalty that would make his entry point if he had been cited look like a gentle tickling.

Obviously it should have been a red card, that not being the case it should have resulted in a citing. It hasn't so lets all put on our big boy pants and step away from the marla.
Big fan of your allusions, Dave, but to which Charles Bronson are you referring in this particular instance, the action movie actor, famous for his roles in "The Magnificent Seven", "Mr. Majestyk", "Death Wish" etc. or the violent and extremely dangerous criminal doing life in one of Her Majesty's prisons?
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

riocard911 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm
FLIP wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:13 pm Genge gets off Scot free with his assault on Sexton.

What sort of message is World Rugby sending on player safety with this? And what sort of message are the IRFU sending not kicking up a massive fuss about it?
"Values", "Respect", "Player Welfare", "Responsibility to protect" - it's all just guff. Get used to it!!! (Personally I'm more annoyed now than by the original offence. If this is let stand, Six Nations and with them the Unions and World Rugby are just taking the piss).
must admit I am really surprised Genge got away with that. And people wonder why parents are having second thoughts about letting their kids play a sport where that sort of thuggery is overlooked...on national TV with lots of camera angles. You can do a lot of damage to a prone players face with an elbow.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 8:03 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 6:39 pm Somehow I don't think what Genge said would amount to an admission of guilt on any planet that has invented sarcasm. Going all Charles Bronson on him would only result in a penalty that would make his entry point if he had been cited look like a gentle tickling.

Big fan of your allusions, Dave, but to which Charles Bronson are you referring in this particular instance, the action movie actor, famous for his roles in "The Magnificent Seven", "Mr. Majestyk", "Death Wish" etc. or the violent and extremely dangerous criminal doing life in one of Her Majesty's prisons?
The former is the more common vigilante usage but the later would basically imply the same thing.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Dave Cahill wrote:Somehow I don't think what Genge said would amount to an admission of guilt on any planet that has invented sarcasm. Going all Charles Bronson on him would only result in a penalty that would make his entry point if he had been cited look like a gentle tickling.

I’m not saying he made a formal confession in a criminal court, but this is not what sarcasm is

https://twitter.com/vmsportie/status/13 ... 13536?s=21

For a referee to hear that and not bother to ask his TMO about it is disgraceful
Auld Boy
Beginner

Post by Auld Boy »

Four game ban for Bundee Aki. A tad harsh.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Bundee gets 4 week ban. Misses Leicester game for starters.
Bad blow for Connacht.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

ronk wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 8:57 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 8:03 pm

The former is the more common vigilante usage but the later would basically imply the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7YsBEuJfI

All the Bronson a sh!thole town/rugby officiary needs
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Small margins.
Best case scenario for Ireland a 4-0 to Scotland
Worse case scenario a 5-1 win for Scotland.
Prediction - The force is with Ireland, Scotland 4-0.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Oldschool wrote: March 26th, 2021, 7:59 pm Small margins.
Surely a 4-0 or 5-0 for France is exactly the same as a 4-0 or 5-0 for Scotland? Any of those outcomes leaves us 3rd with whoever wins ending in 2nd and the loser ending up 4th?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote: March 26th, 2021, 8:58 pm
Surely a 4-0 or 5-0 for France is exactly the same as a 4-0 or 5-0 for Scotland? Any of those outcomes leaves us 3rd with whoever wins ending in 2nd and the loser ending up 4th?
4-0 win for Scotland leaves three teams on 15 points.
I'm assuming that it's down to points difference in that case.
I'm now assuming, from your post, that you know that Scotland would have the better PD and therefore etc etc
Edit just checked the points difference and you are correct of course.
I never doubted you btw.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dulin blew a French win at the end.
What kind of money is involved for the players in win bonus terms, does anyone know?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschool wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:33 pm
I'm now assuming, from your post, that you know that Scotland would have the better PD and therefore etc etc
I never doubted you btw.
No, France get a losing bonus point in Scotland winning by 4, so they finish second on 16 points. Scotland and Ireland on 15 points, but our PD is +48 vs their +47, so a wafer difference in us finishing third vs 4th. Some IRFU lads somewhere have had heart failure in the last few minutes given the prize money difference between 3rd and 4th...
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So, if we had beaten Wales, we'd have won the thing. Who'd have thought?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:47 pm So, if we had beaten Wales, we'd have won the thing. Who'd have thought?
You saying Billy Burns cost us a 6N title?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

CiaranIrl wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:08 pm
Oldschool wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:33 pm

I never doubted you btw.
No, France get a losing bonus point in Scotland winning by 4, so they finish second on 16 points. Scotland and Ireland on 15 points, but our PD is +48 vs their +47, so a wafer difference in us finishing third vs 4th. Some IRFU lads somewhere have had heart failure in the last few minutes given the prize money difference between 3rd and 4th...
Oldschool meant match points not points scored in the game - so Scotland winning by more than 7 points but without either team getting a try bonus
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:49 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:47 pm So, if we had beaten Wales, we'd have won the thing. Who'd have thought?
Having only 14 players on the pitch for most of the game might have been a contributory factor.
Either way congrats to Wales, they rode their luck but given how good their disciplinary record was, they made some of that luck themselves.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote: March 27th, 2021, 9:24 am
blockhead wrote: March 26th, 2021, 10:49 pm
Having only 14 players on the pitch for most of the game might have been a contributory factor.
Either way congrats to Wales, they rode their luck but given how good their disciplinary record was, they made some of that luck themselves.
Careful now that type of logic might see you take a week's holiday from the forum.

And the disciplinary record for Wales is either luck or official maleficence given the type of things their players got away with both in game and by avoiding citings.
Anyone But New Zealand