6 Nations 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by neill_m »

WALES TEAM TO PLAY IRELAND (SUNDAY FEBRUARY 7 KO 15:00)

1. Wyn Jones (30 Caps)

2. Ken Owens (77 Caps)

3. Tomas Francis (52 Caps)

4. Adam Beard (21 Caps)

5. Alun Wyn Jones (CAPT) (143 Caps)

6. Dan Lydiate (64 Caps)

7. Justin Tipuric (80 Caps)

8. Taulupe Faletau (81 Caps)

9. Tomos Williams (20 Caps)

10. Dan Biggar (87 Caps)

11. Hallam Amos (22 Caps)

12. Johnny Williams (2 Caps)

13. George North (98 Caps)

14. Louis Rees-Zammit (4 Caps)

15. Leigh Halfpenny (93 Caps)

Replacements:

16. Elliot Dee (33 Caps)

17. Rhodri Jones (17 Caps)

18. Leon Brown (12 Caps)

19. Will Rowlands (5 Caps)

20. Josh Navidi (24 Caps)

21. Gareth Davies (57 Caps)

22. Callum Sheedy (4 Caps)

23. Nick Tompkins (8 Caps)
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

If CJ goes down in the first minute, who goes to 8?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I think wales will look to get Tiprac in to shut down CJ early and then who carries the ball? Doris would have made a huge difference of course but I think it's crazy not have RR to share the load. If CJ doesn't carry well (and in fairness he hasn't been recently) it's hard to see where else in the pack we're going to make a great amount of yards from.

Maybe that's the Plan. The Welsh will be concentrating so hard on CJ we will use him as a decoy? :shock:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Atlas wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:16 pm If CJ goes down in the first minute, who goes to 8?
Beirne
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:38 pm I think wales will look to get Tiprac in to shut down CJ early and then who carries the ball? Doris would have made a huge difference of course but I think it's crazy not have RR to share the load. If CJ doesn't carry well (and in fairness he hasn't been recently) it's hard to see where else in the pack we're going to make a great amount of yards from.

Maybe that's the Plan. The Welsh will be concentrating so hard on CJ we will use him as a decoy? :shock:
He still won’t pass the ball tho
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I think it's a really strange selection to have a 7 who doesn't really play anywhere else on the bench when there's already a 7 who doesn't play anywhere else starting.
Rhys would actually be the perfect no.20. Mostly known for playing 6, has been Leinster's player of the season so far at 8, and has beaten South Africa at 7.
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Atlas wrote: February 5th, 2021, 12:16 pm If CJ goes down in the first minute, who goes to 8?
Beirne
Yeah thought that as well. I can't remember ever seeing him play 8 but I guess he must have with Scarlett's.

Conners over Ruddock on the bench seems a very strange call
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Played 8 against us for Scarlets in the Pri14 final a few years ago
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

They'd hardly bring on Hendo and move Beirne back.

Surely most likely would be bring on Connors and put POM at 8.

I would agree though, I don't know how Connors gets in ahead of Rhys, unless they're expecting Wales to not bring the physical threat so much as the running threat.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

If you ask me the backrow Leinster put out in their last game (6. Murphy, 7. Leavy, 8. Conan) is a better unit than that Ireland backrow.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote: February 5th, 2021, 4:46 pm If you ask me the backrow Leinster put out in their last game (6. Murphy, 7. Leavy, 8. Conan) is a better unit than that Ireland backrow.
It's certainly more balanced.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Whenever Leinster announce the matchday squad, I usually scroll straight to the backrow to see whose selected. It's exciting to see who is getting their shot this time and to marvel at the incredible depth we have there, but yet whenever I look at the Ireland backrow I just feel deflated. Anyway the best of luck to the lads this weekend, I believe they will still put a good performance in.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Keith wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:06 pm Whenever Leinster announce the matchday squad, I usually scroll straight to the backrow to see whose selected. It's exciting to see who is getting their shot this time and to marvel at the incredible depth we have there, but yet whenever I look at the Ireland backrow I just feel deflated. Anyway the best of luck to the lads this weekend, I believe they will still put a good performance in.
This selection [O'Mahony, van der Flier, Stander] is a combination that hasn't worked well together over the last two years – three losses against England [Feb 2019, Aug 2019, Feb 2020] and the games in RWC19 against Japan and New Zealand.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

hugonaut wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:34 pm
Keith wrote: February 5th, 2021, 6:06 pm Whenever Leinster announce the matchday squad, I usually scroll straight to the backrow to see whose selected. It's exciting to see who is getting their shot this time and to marvel at the incredible depth we have there, but yet whenever I look at the Ireland backrow I just feel deflated. Anyway the best of luck to the lads this weekend, I believe they will still put a good performance in.
This selection [O'Mahony, van der Flier, Stander] is a combination that hasn't worked well together over the last two years – three losses against England [Feb 2019, Aug 2019, Feb 2020] and the games in RWC19 against Japan and New Zealand.
The only thing is at least POM and Stander are in better form now than they were in 2019. Although, personally I still don't think POM should be anywhere near a green jersey but I trust the coaches know what they're doing.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Keith wrote: February 5th, 2021, 7:10 pm
The only thing is at least POM and Stander are in better form now than they were in 2019. Although, personally I still don't think POM should be anywhere near a green jersey but I trust the coaches know what they're doing.
O'Mahony has been better playing at openside this season. It's a role that ensures that he is busy and close to the ball in open play, and you still get his outstanding lineout abilities.

Stander struggled to impose himself the last two games he played at No6 for Ireland [vs Scotland, @ England]. He hasn't played there for years for Munster and he had two of the quietest games of his test career in those fixtures.

Personally speaking, I don't think that Henderson has done anything to get into the starting lineup. I have a bit of a jaundiced view of Hendo; in my opinion he is one of the most inconsistent players with 50+ Irish caps that I've seen. He has played a lot of ordinary rugby for Ireland over the last three years, spiced up with a few excellent games. I was happy to see Beirne named in the second row, because he's been playing better rugby.

I assumed that Farrell would opt for Ruddock at blindside if he selected Beirne at lock, in order to improve Ireland's close-in play. Ruddock has clearly been the best blindside in Ireland this year; that's not even up for debate. That he hasn't been involved in a single test match since return-to-play is really iffy selection.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

hugonaut wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:50 pm
Keith wrote: February 5th, 2021, 7:10 pm

O'Mahony has been better playing at openside this season. It's a role that ensures that he is busy and close to the ball in open play, and you still get his outstanding lineout abilities.

Stander struggled to impose himself the last two games he played at No6 for Ireland [vs Scotland, @ England]. He hasn't played there for years for Munster and he had two of the quietest games of his test career in those fixtures.

Personally speaking, I don't think that Henderson has done anything to get into the starting lineup. I have a bit of a jaundiced view of Hendo; in my opinion he is one of the most inconsistent players with 50+ Irish caps that I've seen. He has played a lot of ordinary rugby for Ireland over the last three years, spiced up with a few excellent games. I was happy to see Beirne named in the second row, because he's been playing better rugby.

I assumed that Farrell would opt for Ruddock at blindside if he selected Beirne at lock, in order to improve Ireland's close-in play. Ruddock has clearly been the best blindside in Ireland this year; that's not even up for debate. That he hasn't been involved in a single test match since return-to-play is really iffy selection.
I don't think he could've got much worse tbh. He's an incredible lineout operator but has offered next to nothing else at this level (imo) since his great performance against the ABs in 2018. I agree regarding Henderson although I do think injuries have ruined him to this point. I think he has all the talent in the world but just can't get a run of weeks and months without getting injured. A bit like Ruddock to be fair.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

leinsterforever wrote: February 5th, 2021, 4:46 pm If you ask me the backrow Leinster put out in their last game (6. Murphy, 7. Leavy, 8. Conan) is a better unit than that Ireland backrow.
That's how I feel too.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

So Predictions.
The easy one first.
BP win for France.
A brave man would bet on Scotland and only a fool would agree with him. :wink: :lol:

Wales v Ireland is going to be close, It would be interesting to see what the bookies are quoting.
If Gatland were still coaching Wales then the bookies would have them firm favourites, Gattie has that great skill of being able to identify his opponents weakness and to then come up with a game plane to exploit them.
This Ireland selection is badly flawed so there are plenty of opportunities to be exploited.
On the other hand the Welsh selection has a few surprises, gambles even, so maybe that levels things a bit.
Wales will probably win unless the ref happens to suit us.
C'mon Ireland
Last edited by Oldschool on February 6th, 2021, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Seeing as how Paulie won the selection discussion ahead of Fogs, it looks like it will be a very tough afternoon for Cian at scrum-time. Ireland appear to have selected a pack expecting a lot of line-outs and breakdowns and few scrums. Good luck with that. We don't appear to have either an attacking or defence maul that will prosper against that Welsh pack.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Scots putting the cat amongst the pigeons!

Jesus England were utter shite.