Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by wixfjord »

Atlas wrote: January 26th, 2021, 1:03 pm
wixfjord wrote:
Atlas wrote: January 26th, 2021, 9:59 am If he does play, I'll stand corrected but even allowing for what Stu said, I'd still be surprised.

The overall point though is picking a guy who hasn't played in 11 months is wrong. The message sent to Moore, Ryan, Bent and others is a really bad message.

Same could be said about Lowe who hasn't played since November and there is DK in great form, yet no hope of getting in.

Same old problem, harder to get out of the team/squad than to get into it.

Ah come on, Moore, Ryan and Bent are not a patch on Tadhg Furlong.

How anyone could be annoyed about him getting into a 6N squad when he's one of our only potentially world class players is beyond me.
Yes a fully match fit and in form Furlong is world class, of which he is neither.

I just think it's not a great call because, it says to the squad that there are untouchables that will be picked regardless of form, it says to the player that they will be picked regardless of form and it also puts pressure on that player.

Instead of having a few easy games and intro's from the bench to find form/confidence in the pro 14, they need to produce from day 1 more or less against international class opposition after nearly a year out.

I take Munster1's point about it being a gamble and the point that the backups aren't as good as Furlong but still, I'm surprised by it.

But that's the point, he is due to play at the weekend for us which is a stepping stone to a 20 minute cameo in a test.

Tadhg Furlong is clearly an 'untouchable' because he's a world class THP who can scrummage and carry to that level. Bent, Moore and Ryan are not in the same stratosphere.

International coaches don't, never have and shouldn't pick on form alone.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There are certain players in a green jersey that, if available, you just have to pick them in a squad because they're world class potential match winners.

We used to have more of them.

Now we have less so they're even more important.

Ryan, Furlong, Ringrose would be three examples.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Exactly. And even if the fourth choice TH is a bit pissed off about it - I would say the rest of the squad are delighted to have Furlong back in the squad and it will give them that bit more confidence in the team.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mfjoc wrote: January 26th, 2021, 11:35 am Why is Andrew Conway in the squad even though he hasn't played for 6 weeks (due to Personal reasons?)
Surely Dave Kearney deserves to be there?
Not sure what's going on with Conway, hopefully he is doing ok.

On Dave Kearney, his scoring record over the last couple of years has been ridiculously high. He is also strong defensively and good in the air, If he was a 23 year old kid he'd be straight into the squad - noteworthy, he's 2 years younger than Keith Earls, so not dead yet!

He is 5th on our all time try scoring ranking (and counting) between Isa and Den Hickie, probably one of the most under rated players in our history in my view.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I think Bealham is a bit hard done by and under appreciated. Furlong would’ve been my pick for world player of the year for the year Sexton got it, so I can understand that in isolation, but then on the other side you’ve Kilcoyne also dropped in after very little rugby. Tom O’Toole is very raw too and more game time at Ulster maybe wouldn’t do him any harm in this context.

Bealham can play to some degree on both sides, is a good scrummager, good handler, and just generally a very good attitude. I actually wondered is he someone Leinster might be interested in? These days Leinster are transferring players to other provinces, but he could go the other way. He is a 29 year old who could be an option on both sides, who might feel he’d be noticed more in Dublin. Michael Bent is hitting 35 and there’s a few injury issues in Leinster’s front row. It would maybe help keep Leinster in ‘win now’ mode. There aren’t many players from the other provinces who Leinster are going to want, but he is one who might be of interest, despite having 2 very good international tight heads already on the books. I could easily imagine him fitting in at Bristol under Lam.

Maybe I’m way off. Elsewhere...that’s a lot of lock forwards. Where are we going there? Tight head locks, loose head locks, maybe some playing 6...?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Atlas wrote: January 26th, 2021, 1:03 pmAh come on, Moore, Ryan and Bent are not a patch on Tadhg Furlong.

How anyone could be annoyed about him getting into a 6N squad when he's one of our only potentially world class players is beyond me.
Yes a fully match fit and in form Furlong is world class, of which he is neither.

I just think it's not a great call because, it says to the squad that there are untouchables that will be picked regardless of form, it says to the player that they will be picked regardless of form and it also puts pressure on that player.

Instead of having a few easy games and intro's from the bench to find form/confidence in the pro 14, they need to produce from day 1 more or less against international class opposition after nearly a year out.

I take Munster1's point about it being a gamble and the point that the backups aren't as good as Furlong but still, I'm surprised by it.
[/quote]

It's always been the case to a degree as long as central contracts have existed.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Morf wrote: January 26th, 2021, 5:01 pm
Atlas wrote: January 26th, 2021, 1:03 pm
wixfjord wrote:
Ah come on, Moore, Ryan and Bent are not a patch on Tadhg Furlong.

It's always been the case to a degree as long as central contracts have existed.
Exactly - why would they pay the salary for Furlong, O'Mahony, Sexton, Stander etc and then leave them sitting at home. I'd always just assumed that all players on central contracts were automatic squad selections unless ruled out by injury
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Atlas wrote: January 26th, 2021, 1:03 pm ........... it says to the squad that there are untouchables that will be picked regardless of form, it says to the player that they will be picked regardless of form and it also puts pressure on that player.
1. it says hell be considered for selection. It doesn't say he'll be picked.
2. I'd be shocked if the squad don't already know this guy is special. I'm pretty sure everyone, apart from the odd tighthead prop, will be absolutely delighted to think that Furlong may be back in contention.

I get what you're saying, I just don't think that it applies to the few truly world class players we have in the squad.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Doris and Roux out with Coombes and Baird in.

Good chance that Coombes might take the bench spot due to his versatility, with Ruddock coming in at 6 and CJ playing 8.

The worrying thing is that Doris has returned to Leinster for assessment after showing signs of concussion.
Hopefully this isn’t a long term issue.

From the independent:
Doris has previously had issues around head injuries and having flagged some symptoms, which the IRFU say “could be associated with concussion”, the 22-year-old has “returned to Leinster to allow his symptoms to be appropriately assessed and investigated.”
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

What would be best

Ruddock, vdf, stander with Connors on bench

What we'll see

Pom, Connors, Stander with vdf on bench
Anyone But New Zealand
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Baird packed down on loosehead side against scarlets. That was alongside Molony too. Looks like Ryan to TH lock then. Henderson the only other one has really done it before, but suits the other side more for me. Maybe not Ryan’s better position either, but could be best thing for the team. Hopefully will mean we are gonna play fast too. That said, Doris is a loss to that type of game. He is a bad loss.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think POM, VDF, Stander isn't physical enough, particularly with Beirne in second row.

Hope we don't start that.

Ruddock, POM, Stander would be my pick.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Calling up Baird and Coombes to replace Doris & Roux suggests two things to me:

1. Recognition that suitable second-row replacements are thin on the ground (Dev RETIRED);
2. Doris was going to be a key player in Irish line-out strategy over the next fortnight.

Ruddock (at 6) with PO'M and CJ seems most likely option. However, if a lot of work has already been completed with CJ at 6, slotting Coombes into No 8 maybe the best fit, as this all Munster back-row have played together already.

After his improved defensive performance on Sat, they could be lining up Baird for a bench spot against France, covering second-row and flanker.

Whether Ireland go with a 6/2 split will be significant for back-row subs.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A year ago in Dublin, we defeated Wales outscoring them by four tries to two. This weekend Andy Farrell faces a couple of selection headaches.

Does he include Larmour or Conway on the wing, both of whom scored tries a year ago. Conway hasn't played since early December whilst Larmour looked vulnerable under the high ball in his display against Munster. No question that Larmour's attacking ability is superb but against wingers like North, Adams or Liam Williams, weaknesss under high kicks could be costly.

Henshaw or Aki alongside Ringrose? Last season Ringrose wasn't available but this time he is automatic. JJV Davies is no longer the automatic best centre in Lions' land, so do we go with the Leinster pair as Aki is only returning from injury.

Herring had an excellent game 12 months ago. On current form his throwing has looked superior to that of Kelleher. Stick or twist?

Start Porter or the returning Furlong?. No question that all things being equal Tagdh should get the nod. But only 40 mins of rugby in a year means that all things aren't equal.

A place for JVdF in the back-row in the absence of Doris? Josh has improved in every outing in green over the past 12 months, but so has PO'M and his line-out skill is unique. Tuperic is a very important ball-winner in the Welsh line-out, so we'll probable need a 4th jumper.

Fascinating selection challenges, particularly with disruption in preparation caused by the withdrawal of Doris. Interesting team announcement around lunchtime today we assume.
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

mfjoc wrote: January 26th, 2021, 11:35 am Why is Andrew Conway in the squad even though he hasn't played for 6 weeks (due to Personal reasons?)
Surely Dave Kearney deserves to be there?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 11:13 pm Calling up Baird and Coombes to replace Doris & Roux suggests two things to me:

1. Recognition that suitable second-row replacements are thin on the ground (Dev RETIRED);
2. Doris was going to be a key player in Irish line-out strategy over the next fortnight.

Ruddock (at 6) with PO'M and CJ seems most likely option. However, if a lot of work has already been completed with CJ at 6, slotting Coombes into No 8 maybe the best fit, as this all Munster back-row have played together already.

After his improved defensive performance on Sat, they could be lining up Baird for a bench spot against France, covering second-row and flanker.

Whether Ireland go with a 6/2 split will be significant for back-row subs.
Can't go 6/2 with Sexton in the team because he'll likely have to be subbed early. Effectively we're selecting a 22.5 match day squad.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I know hendo hasnt played much rugby, but I feel we need him in the engine room for this one. I would like to see Tadgh Beirne starting, maybe at six, the Welsh fear him, and hes been by far our best poacher, I think theres even an argument to play him at seven at the moment the way hes playing (maybe later in the tournament). Will be interesting to see the outcome of this highly contested area.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Experimental wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:47 pm I know hendo hasnt played much rugby, but I feel we need him in the engine room for this one. I would like to see Tadgh Beirne starting, maybe at six, the Welsh fear him, and hes been by far our best poacher, I think theres even an argument to play him at seven at the moment the way hes playing (maybe later in the tournament). Will be interesting to see the outcome of this highly contested area.
That is actually a good idea.
Having a backrow of Beirne, POM and Stander with Ryan and Hendo in the row would be a serious back 5.

It would be a pest at the breakdown and provide plenty of lineout targets.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 2:00 pm
Experimental wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 1:47 pm I know hendo hasnt played much rugby, but I feel we need him in the engine room for this one. I would like to see Tadgh Beirne starting, maybe at six, the Welsh fear him, and hes been by far our best poacher, I think theres even an argument to play him at seven at the moment the way hes playing (maybe later in the tournament). Will be interesting to see the outcome of this highly contested area.
That is actually a good idea.
Having a backrow of Beirne, POM and Stander with Ryan and Hendo in the row would be a serious back 5.

It would be a pest at the breakdown and provide plenty of lineout targets.
Ruddock on the bench would augment the power available in the BR.
Dillane SR cover?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

One way or another, we're in trouble if we go with a set of loose forwards as underpowered as Ryan, Beirne, O'Mahony, VDF/WOC, Stander. Even if we beat Wales with that, we'll have no chance against England or France. I have no idea who I'd go with tbh, but I think we have to fit Ruddock in somehow. He's in super form, and he always has a point to prove against the Welsh.

On another note, it's really depressing that Earls is the best winger we have. He's not far off 34.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”