6 Nations 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Keith »

munster#1 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:33 pm Ireland have been very underwhelming for the last 2 years, and this is despite have probably the greatest depth chart that we’ve ever had.

I know that it won’t happen, because a. Ireland do not have the funds to pay off Farrell and b. They do not have the balls, but I think it’s time to have Lancaster take the reigns.

He is a proven international coach, and has massively improved his reputation with Leinster.
Couldn't disagree with this anymore. Imo this is the worst squad I've seen for a very long time.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Comparing against the current French team is probably not realistic. Either by design (probable) or good fortune, they have assembled a Squad which might have been selected by Algorithms (one for forwards, another for backs). One forward is aged 30, the average age is 26. One back is aged 29 ( Vakatawa) the average age 23.

Talent and achievement have come together, under age succeess and Coaches the age of their fathers, not grandfathers. Good value for RWC23.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

This was a very similar game in many ways to the 35-27 game in the Autumn Nations Cup.

We had more possession, more territory, both of our set-pieces were better than theirs, we won the penalty and card count....and yet we lost. Once again, we won virtually all the metrics that used to reliably predict who would win on the scoreboard.

The difference, unfortunately for us, is that they have better, faster, smarter, more skilful individual players than us, and score with very limited opportunities, even against strong defences. By contrast, we huff and puff through multiple phases with little or no penetration, even against average defences. That's it really.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

We're all perspiration and increasingly little inspiration.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

The forwards did well in general. The set piece was solid if not overly exciting. We went after their lineout and really put them under pressure which kept the French under wraps for most of the first half.

I thought Earls was better, JGP was pretty good and Byrne did alright when he came on. Keenan as always was excellent.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Keith wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:45 pm
munster#1 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:33 pm Ireland have been very underwhelming for the last 2 years, and this is despite have probably the greatest depth chart that we’ve ever had.

I know that it won’t happen, because a. Ireland do not have the funds to pay off Farrell and b. They do not have the balls, but I think it’s time to have Lancaster take the reigns.

He is a proven international coach, and has massively improved his reputation with Leinster.
Couldn't disagree with this anymore. Imo this is the worst squad I've seen for a very long time.
100%.

We have guys on their last legs at 1, 9 and 10 without much in the way of proper test quality immediately behind them.

Our backrow has plenty of options, but nobody close to the likes of SOB, Heaslip, Ferris, Wallace in terms of proper world class carrying, turnover threat and power.

Our hooker stocks are the weakest they've been in years. Herring is an ok provincial player.

This is not a good Irish squad by any means.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

neiliog93 wrote: February 14th, 2021, 7:54 pm they have better, faster, smarter, more skilful individual players than us
Don't agree with you there (if you are implying they are generally better across the board). They have a few absolutely world class players that are all of those things, but its just a few. They tend to make the difference though.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Firstly, glad that the post match isn't all about the OH play.
In JGP we have a player who is the solution to half of our problems ie quick passing and he's not the only one.
The other half of the solution is powerful forwards running at pace onto the SH's quick pop passes.
We have those type of players available to us already in the squad however neither Leinster nor Ireland use this ploy to any great extent and they should, because the talent is there. The other provinces obviously need to be using the same tactic and have SHs all capable of providing the right kind of service.
On the game itself small margins, Keenan just needed to delay the pass to Lowe for another second and Lowe would have scored, he'll learn from the experience.
Is there some unwritten law that says the OH must take all the kicks to touch. Rob and now Lowe have great left foots, some of those penos should have been given to Lowe.
Ringrose did some things very well but on a number of occasions the defending French wing sold himself, Ringrose should have stabbed the ball through into the space behind but instead ran back into contact.
Overall France probably won the game because their kicking game was much better and more accurate than hours, that takes practice, how many times did they get those long raking kicks in behind us and if not so close to touch that we couldn't risk playing them.
And even despite all that we nearly won the game.
As has been said many times, possession doesn't seem to be the problem, it's what we don't do with it that is the problem.
Last edited by Oldschool on February 14th, 2021, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

wixfjord wrote: February 14th, 2021, 8:08 pmOur hooker stocks are the weakest they've been in years. Herring is an ok provincial player.
Herring doesn't look physically capable of making a dominant hit or carry at test level unfortunately.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Morf wrote: February 14th, 2021, 8:28 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 14th, 2021, 8:08 pmOur hooker stocks are the weakest they've been in years. Herring is an ok provincial player.
Herring doesn't look physically capable of making a dominant hit or carry at test level unfortunately.
No he doesn't. He's a bit of a defensive liability too imo.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I didn't really think JGP played well, contrary to the view here I think. There were costly errors - at fault for the first try, some dropped balls, his kicking was either too long or not enough hang time, some box kicks were bad decisions - like with the clock at 77 minutes, his passing was at people's heads - I just don't think he was at his best at all. By no means the worst - just curious what people saw that suggested he was one of the better performers.

What really pissed me off though was that they didn't bother brining Casey on. I mean, what's the point in having him there if you don't trust him to come on?! Why not just pick Marmion, Mcgrath or Cooney?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I thought JGP's kicking was really good personally, and thought he got loads of hangtime on kicks.

His passing was much, much quicker than Murray's and his blindside probing was good.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote: February 14th, 2021, 8:42 pm I didn't really think JGP played well, contrary to the view here I think. There were costly errors - at fault for the first try, some dropped balls, his kicking was either too long or not enough hang time, some box kicks were bad decisions - like with the clock at 77 minutes, his passing was at people's heads - I just don't think he was at his best at all. By no means the worst - just curious what people saw that suggested he was one of the better performers.

What really pissed me off though was that they didn't bother brining Casey on. I mean, what's the point in having him there if you don't trust him to come on?! Why not just pick Marmion, Mcgrath or Cooney?
Why indeed? Although I'd have ordered them Cooney, Marmion and McGrath.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

What do people think of potential irish lion over or under 5
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

lummix wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:24 pm What do people think of potential irish lion over or under 5
Ryan and Furlong are the only assured picks. Healy, Henderson, Stander, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw and Ringrose are also in the mix but I'd say only half of them will make it...so that works out at about five or six Irish tourists in total. I'd say five.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Well we ended the game with an all Leinster back line and still did not look threatening.
It’s time to cut our losses and bring in some fresh blood.
Both wingers were in effective today any benefit Ireland got from Lowe’s kick was negated by his poor defence.
Ireland would be better playing two young wings from the provincial sides who probably would make mistakes but would die for the chance to play there country. I did not see that sort of commitment from Lowe and I think that Earls time has run its course.He is brave and committed but is he realistically a contender for a RWC place.
The big mistake was we didn’t take advantage of the Autumn matches to clear out a lot of the old wood.
Faced with the need to Play Burns in Sexton’s absence ( once again through injury ) his provincial partner Cooney was an obvious choice.
Of course there is another alternative in London who could fill the gap regardless of how unpallitive it may be to some he has the skills on the field.
Finally Farrell and Catt have to step up or move on.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote: February 14th, 2021, 8:45 pm I thought JGP's kicking was really good personally, and thought he got loads of hangtime on kicks.

His passing was much, much quicker than Murray's and his blindside probing was good.
Definitely quicker than Murray, but quick ball fired too high or two low where the catcher has to reach is no better than slow ball.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Aird wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:52 pm Well we ended the game with an all Leinster back line and still did not look threatening.
It’s time to cut our losses and bring in some fresh blood.
Both wingers were in effective today any benefit Ireland got from Lowe’s kick was negated by his poor defence.
Ireland would be better playing two young wings from the provincial sides who probably would make mistakes but would die for the chance to play there country. I did not see that sort of commitment from Lowe and I think that Earls time has run its course.He is brave and committed but is he realistically a contender for a RWC place.
The big mistake was we didn’t take advantage of the Autumn matches to clear out a lot of the old wood.
Faced with the need to Play Burns in Sexton’s absence ( once again through injury ) his provincial partner Cooney was an obvious choice.
Of course there is another alternative in London who could fill the gap regardless of how unpallitive it may be to some he has the skills on the field.
Finally Farrell and Catt have to step up or move on.
There'd be a heavy price for PJ in terms of protests, sponsor boycotts, ill-will, political retaliation, schools etc.

IRFU won't risk that much damage across such a broad front.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

We really are getting desperate if we are pleading for PJ. Don't get me wrong he's a decent player and all but I've been casually following the LI forum for a few years now and it's only a couple of months ago their fans were calling him a waste of money. He's only just now starting to string some good games together for them.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

We are pretty desperate though, pretty frocking aimless in fact