6 Nations 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Oldschool »

One of the many talents Joe (and it seems most NZ coaches) have, is the ability to recognise what the problems/opportunities are in the first and to then address any issues during half time.
I hope we haven't lost that under the new management.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I will be very surprised and disappointed if Sexton plays this weekend. I reckon the camp are keeping the French guessing for as long as possible.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

backrower8 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 8:41 pm I will be very surprised and disappointed if Sexton plays this weekend. I reckon the camp are keeping the French guessing for as long as possible.
+1 and add James Ryan in for good measure unfortunately. Neither of them should take any risks with their health, Doris too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:25 pm
backrower8 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 8:41 pm I will be very surprised and disappointed if Sexton plays this weekend. I reckon the camp are keeping the French guessing for as long as possible.
+1 and add James Ryan in for good measure unfortunately. Neither of them should take any risks with their health, Doris too.
+2
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

riocard911 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:37 pm
+2
I agree. I left Ryan out as in saying that, I am conscious that I am not a Doctor, let alone the one treating them. But Johnny was so obviously badly stunned, not being able to sit up for himself when trying, that I felt he is the obvious call out of the two. But the optics alone on Ryan aren’t right.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Medical professionals will not take any chances with players health. If they are cleared to play it's cause they are fit to play. If that's the case then I have no problem with them playing.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

riocard911 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:37 pm
+2
It's a medical call. Ryan in particular looked groggy coming off but they will test the players and decide on that basis. Nobody is going to ignore significant health risks in this day and age.

Whatever the decision, Hendy in for Ryan does not weaken us significantly, Burns for Sexton does.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Well, any gossip on the likely lineup?

I would have to agree with most of the comments on here, especially in light of the ongoing issues surrounding the long and even not so long term effects of concussions.

If Sexton or Ryan play, it has to bring player management into focus.
Last edited by munster#1 on February 11th, 2021, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

munster#1 wrote: February 11th, 2021, 2:05 pm
but by coming out essentially saying that medical professionals have over reacted in the past would likely damage any potential claim that he may have in the future.

What I heard Sexton say was that what the French doctor (singular) said was inaccurate and inappropriate. Do you have a source where he says that medical professionals (plural) have over reacted in the past?

Very serious subject to be misquoting someone.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

OTT wrote: February 11th, 2021, 2:40 pm

What I heard Sexton say was that what the French doctor (singular) said was inaccurate and inappropriate. Do you have a source where he says that medical professionals (plural) have over reacted in the past?

Edited as I do not think that this is the right place to be discussing such a sensitive issue.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Gibson Park and Billy Burns are starting. Murray pulled his hamstring in training
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

munster#1 wrote: February 11th, 2021, 3:53 pm
OTT wrote: February 11th, 2021, 2:40 pm

Edited as I do not think that this is the right place to be discussing such a sensitive issue.
:lol:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Lock9541 wrote: February 11th, 2021, 7:32 pm Gibson Park and Billy Burns are starting. Murray pulled his hamstring in training
Big game for both players.
Their reputations can be greatly impacted by how they play.
A good game from both could push them into contention to start a few more games, whereas a nightmare game could see them dropped from the match day squad altogether.

Although I am a big fan of Murray, I am glad that Casey could get his first cap, which would be great for such a promising player.

Edit: just talking to a friend who would usually be in the know, and he said he hadn’t heard a thing about Murray, however he did say that he heard that the only changes were hendo for Ryan, Burns for Sexton and Ruddock for POM.

Earls and Lowe retain their jerseys despite last week’s display
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Is that the same hamstring that Killer pulled last Thursday?
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

This is the starting team:
1. Cian Healy
2. Rob Herring
3. Andrew Porter
4. Tadhg Beirne
5. Iain Henderson
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Josh VDF
8. Cj Stander
9. JGP
10. Billy Burns
11. James Lowe
12. Robbie Henshaw
13. Garry Ringrose
14. Keith Earls
15. Hugo Keenan.
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

RoG on Lowe and defence

"It is undeniable that James Lowe was the central figure for the George North and Louis Rees-Zammit scores. The winger kicked beautifully and added a positive dimension to Ireland’s attack but his defensive decision-making in those instances need further scrutiny and explaining.

The first one, from George North at 13-6, is a straight-up case of looking for a phantom attacker (Halfpenny) who is so much less of a threat at that moment. There is only one live threat in that moment, it’s George North, you hit him stone dead, get him down on the ground. End of story. Why push off onto the ‘ghost’ outside? The threat is North. Hit the threat.
If his miscalculation for the Zammit-Rees try wasn’t worse, it was just as concerning. In layman’s terms, if you’re the second last defender, then you should be lining up the second last attacker. There was no threat inside, Ireland had numbers, but again Lowe shot up and in on North, forcing Hugo Keenan in one and facilitating a stroll in for Rees-Zammit, although kudos for a serious pair of wheels on Tadhg Furlong in his effort to get across.

Let’s be fair and apply context here. We are talking about fractions of seconds. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. But scanning in front of you, watching where the ball is and numbering off is a critical part of Test defending. If it’s a five-on-three for the attack, of course Lowe would have had to do something spectacular.

But Ireland were lined well, it was five-v-five (in fact probably six v five in Ireland’s favour), hence you number off against the man opposite you. Lowe hit in a channel, which has essentially created a problem when there was no try on

If his miscalculation for the Zammit-Rees try wasn’t worse, it was just as concerning. In layman’s terms, if you’re the second last defender, then you should be lining up the second last attacker. There was no threat inside, Ireland had numbers, but again Lowe shot up and in on North, forcing Hugo Keenan in one and facilitating a stroll in for Rees-Zammit, although kudos for a serious pair of wheels on Tadhg Furlong in his effort to get across.
".
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

RobbieRockBoy wrote: February 12th, 2021, 10:53 am RoG on Lowe and defence

"It is undeniable that James Lowe was the central figure for the George North and Louis Rees-Zammit scores. The winger kicked beautifully and added a positive dimension to Ireland’s attack but his defensive decision-making in those instances need further scrutiny and explaining.

The first one, from George North at 13-6, is a straight-up case of looking for a phantom attacker (Halfpenny) who is so much less of a threat at that moment. There is only one live threat in that moment, it’s George North, you hit him stone dead, get him down on the ground. End of story. Why push off onto the ‘ghost’ outside? The threat is North. Hit the threat.

Let’s be fair and apply context here. We are talking about fractions of seconds. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. But scanning in front of you, watching where the ball is and numbering off is a critical part of Test defending. If it’s a five-on-three for the attack, of course Lowe would have had to do something spectacular.

But Ireland were lined well, it was five-v-five (in fact probably six v five in Ireland’s favour), hence you number off against the man opposite you. Lowe hit in a channel, which has essentially created a problem when there was no try on

".
I'd take advise off ROG for many things on a Rugby pitch .........defensive 'Reads' would not be one of them :lol:
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Lock9541 wrote: February 11th, 2021, 10:37 pm This is the starting team:
1. Cian Healy
2. Rob Herring
3. Andrew Porter
4. Tadhg Beirne
5. Iain Henderson
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Josh VDF
8. Cj Stander
9. JGP
10. Billy Burns
11. James Lowe
12. Robbie Henshaw
13. Garry Ringrose
14. Keith Earls
15. Hugo Keenan.
Full house!
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

RobbieRockBoy wrote: February 12th, 2021, 10:53 am RoG on Lowe and defence

".
Where is this from?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

15. Hugo Keenan 14. Keith Earls 13. Garry Ringrose 12. Robbie Henshaw 11. James Lowe 10. Billy Burns 9. Jamison Gibson Park 1. Cian Healy 2. Rob Herring 3. Andrew Porter 4. Tadhg Beirne 5. Iain Henderson CAPTAIN 6. Rhys Ruddock 7. Josh van der Flier 8. CJ Stander

16. Ronan Kelleher 17. Ed Byrne 18. Tadhg Furlong 19. Ultan Dillane 20. Will Connors 21. Craig Casey 22. Ross Byrne 23. Jordan Larmour