6 Nations 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: 6 Nations 2021

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:41 pm Scots putting the cat amongst the pigeons!

Jesus England were utter shite.
They were, so many key players playing very little rugby doesn't help.
I have Bumbleflex
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

The highlight of the match has to be Hogg's brilliantly patronizing post match interview.

"Credit to England, they really put it up to us today"

I tip my hat to you sir.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

The possession felt like it was 90-10. They had it when the clock was running between a few scrums after Scottish knock ons. That was about the height of it.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

England kick possession away all the time. We turn it into a strength, Scotland turned it into a weakness.

That said I can't see Itoje for example being so genuinely sh!t.

Almost as sh!t as Russel was. He was pants.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

fourthirtythree wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:56 pm England kick possession away all the time. We turn it into a strength, Scotland turned it into a weakness.

That said I can't see Itoje for example being so genuinely sh!t.

Almost as sh!t as Russel was. He was pants.
Well the big thing in England’s November games was their chasers often being Underhill and Curry. Someone tackles and those two get over it. Didn’t happen today at all.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

One of the most one sided encounters you'll see in a 6Ns game that didn't involve Italy.
Hogg was simply stupendous.
Russell was simply awful.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done Townsend. Excellent selection and perfect game plan of putting pace on the game moving the ball as quickly as possible from breakdowns. But put this win down to the players. They figured a way to deal with the English maul; they got into the English line-out, but above all they tackled superbly.

Hogg was top quality but so were Maitland and Van de Merwe. Redpath was excellent and Harris was competent. Russell was mercurial, some dross, little perfect, but he kept taking the pressure and giving others confidence. Price was possibly the only Scot our-played by his opposite number, but his replacement Scott warranted his selection ahead of Hidalgo Clyne.

But most of kudos go to the Scottish starting eigth and their replacements. England are rarely beaten until their pack are subdued and in my view Scotland had accomplished that in the first 30 minutes and they kept the English pack under their thumb all game. Everyone of them was excellent and No. 8 Fagerson put his hand up for a Lions place.

Delighted for Scotland. Even more pleased that Matt Williams' judgement as a pundit was proved once again to be worth zilsh.

This 6 Nations competition became substantially more difficult for Ireland with this result. Regardless of anything else, the trip to Murrayfield became more difficult this afternoon.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

By 'mercurial' I assume you mean 'utter shite'!

He's a sham of a player. Lions outhalf my ass!

Hogg on the other hand is properly world class. And Johnny Gray could steal a second row spot if he keeps up this form.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

wixfjord wrote: February 6th, 2021, 8:14 pm By 'mercurial' I assume you mean 'utter shite'!

He's a sham of a player. Lions outhalf my ass!

Hogg on the other hand is properly world class. And Johnny Gray could steal a second row spot if he keeps up this form.
Gray dominated Itoje in contact. That’s a real rarity for anyone. Faegerson’s are both very good players. Not really into the lions (and increasingly less so) but thought the elder was hard done by 4 years ago.

Price actually stopped a try I thought. The Scottish pack looked like going over and he took it off them! Perhaps had been called to use it, but they did keep shooting themselves in the foot like that and keeping England in it. Scotland are improving though and have a bit of depth too. Blair Kinghorn isn’t getting his game but is a fair player at 14 or 15. I like Mark Bennett and watched Huw Taylor in the back 3 lately. Thought he looked better there than 13. He’s decent cover on the bench. Redpath is going to be good. I wouldn’t be as tough on Russell as you folks, but clearly he can play better than today. Scrum half is an issue for them, I thought Horne was a step above the others but doesn’t seem to be in the frame at all.

The knock on Scotland for a long time was the pack, but it’s a fair bit better now and they are happy enough with tempo. I think they will suit us mind you, but they’ll probably get a shot of much needed confidence after this too. If we beat England in Twickenham like that, we’d be thinking it’s all up for grabs.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Redpath is a classy player alright.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Well if he’s physically able for 12 and he’s got anywhere near the brain of his da, that’ll make for a decent player.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Huge win for the Scots but you'd have to think it's game one lads there's a whole lot of tournament to go, celebrating like its a final or coming out saying it's possibly the greatest Scots test match ever are big big missteps if you're honestly building towards something.

Delighted to genuinely see Scotland come back as a force if they do manage to string some results together but it's one game lads.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

TerenureJim wrote: February 7th, 2021, 1:10 pm Huge win for the Scots but you'd have to think it's game one lads there's a whole lot of tournament to go, celebrating like its a final or coming out saying it's possibly the greatest Scots test match ever are big big missteps if you're honestly building towards something.

Delighted to genuinely see Scotland come back as a force if they do manage to string some results together but it's one game lads.
It is a final it’s the Calcutta Cup they get a trophy for winning that game and it’s their first win over England at Twickenham since 1983. I think they’re allowed to enjoy that one.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Lock9541 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 2:05 pm
TerenureJim wrote: February 7th, 2021, 1:10 pm Huge win for the Scots but you'd have to think it's game one lads there's a whole lot of tournament to go, celebrating like its a final or coming out saying it's possibly the greatest Scots test match ever are big big missteps if you're honestly building towards something.

It is a final it’s the Calcutta Cup they get a trophy for winning that game and it’s their first win over England at Twickenham since 1983. I think they’re allowed to enjoy that one.
Also the 150 anniversary of the first England Scotland match was big too.

A nice touch from the Scots was having the names of the players from 150 years ago on their appropriate jersey yesterday.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Ah that’s the nature of the 6 nations. A bit like a wedding reception, the start and the end are the bits people remember. So you want good soup and a good band. Win day 1 and all is within reach! Townsend I think is playing it up a little after some rocky times I’m charge.

Scotland, in a few sports you could set your clock by the collapse to lose in cruel and unusual ways. At times it felt they were going to do that yesterday. They’ll get confidence and momentum from managing to actually get over the line. I still think we’ll beat em, but all their games are gonna be worth watching in this championship.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Ringrose getting loads of touches. Keenan too. Encouraging.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Seriously POM
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well b*%&!x!

Can't complain about that :(