Ireland u20 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Ireland u20 2021

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: July 7th, 2021, 4:03 pm Soroka's lineout work has been impressive.
I like Soroka! I think he's going to be a real favourite at the RDS. He's like an Argentine: really emotional, full of energy and great hair.

He's a player that the other players in the team respond to as well – some guys just have it. His handling is good, his lineout work is good, his fitness is excellent, he's got great size for the blindside and he's got a competitive edge. Really like him.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

They did well to rescue it. The attack was poor overall. The wingers carried the ball twice between them. Twice! That's says more about the attack than the wingers although they could go looking for the ball a bit more.

Kendellen, Soroka, Forde and Doak look the pick of the bunch so far. Plenty of others showing potential as well. Ireland cap 7.8 new players per season over the last 2 decades so with that in mind this looks a decent crop especially when taking the injured players into account.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Osborne belongs in that group.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: July 8th, 2021, 10:05 am Osborne belongs in that group.
100%. He has been very comfortable at Pro14 level, which is of a much higher standard than U20s.

Kendellen is a super player – a natural. Lots of similarities to David Wallace, which is the highest compliment I can think of for a Munster backrow. He does so many things well, and he has a great level of involvement in the game, with and without the ball. I think he wears the captaincy very lightly: he communicates well with the refs, he's a positive [rather than peevish] presence when the ball is dead, and he makes a lot of big plays to inspire his team-mates.

I'd like to have see Osborne in midfield and Cosgrave at fullback in this tournament but it's probably not going to happen at this point.

Humphreys has struggled at No10. Through no fault of their own, none of the players have played much rugby this season, and this definitely has a big impact on halfbacks – they have the most touches and have to make the most decisions. Doak has done really well, but Humphrey's hasn't prospered.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote: July 7th, 2021, 10:58 pm
wixfjord wrote: July 7th, 2021, 4:03 pm Soroka's lineout work has been impressive.
I like Soroka! I think he's going to be a real favourite at the RDS. He's like an Argentine: really emotional, full of energy and great hair.

He's a player that the other players in the team respond to as well – some guys just have it. His handling is good, his lineout work is good, his fitness is excellent, he's got great size for the blindside and he's got a competitive edge. Really like him.
That's the big question innit!

Will we try to mould him into a medium sized second row or a big blindside?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

He's as big as Baird.

But seems a more natural fit to 6.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: July 8th, 2021, 11:03 am

We probably won't know for a while. I'd take what we get so we get the best out of him.

If I could choose, I think Leinster and Ireland need a star blindside the most.

I think Baird is primarily a lock by the way.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: July 8th, 2021, 11:03 am

I definitely see him as a blindside as a professional. I think he's a great fit for the position and also fits the age profile in the depth chart almost ideally:

1. Ruddock b.1990 [30]
2. Murphy b.1995 [26]
3. Soroka b.2001 [20]
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: July 8th, 2021, 10:41 am
100%. He has been very comfortable at Pro14 level, which is of a much higher standard than U20s.

Kendellen is a super player – a natural. Lots of similarities to David Wallace, which is the highest compliment I can think of for a Munster backrow. He does so many things well, and he has a great level of involvement in the game, with and without the ball. I think he wears the captaincy very lightly: he communicates well with the refs, he's a positive [rather than peevish] presence when the ball is dead, and he makes a lot of big plays to inspire his team-mates.

I'd like to have see Osborne in midfield and Cosgrave at fullback in this tournament but it's probably not going to happen at this point.

Humphreys has struggled at No10. Through no fault of their own, none of the players have played much rugby this season, and this definitely has a big impact on halfbacks – they have the most touches and have to make the most decisions. Doak has done really well, but Humphrey's hasn't prospered.
Hadn't thought about Kendellen that way but it could make a lot of sense. Having a primary ball carrier at 7 transforms the backrow balance and Munster seem to need it to get going properly.

Post RWC it could be Coombes, Kendellen and Beirne working together to some effect.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: July 8th, 2021, 12:53 pm
hugonaut wrote: July 8th, 2021, 10:41 am

Hadn't thought about Kendellen that way but it could make a lot of sense. Having a primary ball carrier at 7 transforms the backrow balance and Munster seem to need it to get going properly.

Post RWC it could be Coombes, Kendellen and Beirne working together to some effect.
That's a very interesting suggestion. The quality of Kendellon's tackling and ball skills certainly place him up near the Wallace peak of Irish opens sides. He appears to have acceleration off the mark in defence, allied to a mature physique and that should certainly allow him to fit into any backrow that values quality and skills over physicality.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Fascinating to see Dan Kelly named in the English line-up v Canada for next Saturday. Made very quick progress up the pole in the eyes of Eddie Jones. It will be fascinating to compare his progress with that of James Hume.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The one slight criticism is that he tends to want to offload all the time, almost for the sake of doing so.
That's eminently fixable, experience and some coaching will surely sort that
Think he has a very high ceiling.
Cosgrave looks an interesting prospect too, another Keenan perhaps.
Agree with Hugonaut, it would be interesting to see him in midfield, maybe even at twelve, given his size and offloading ability he could be a real handful.
Has he played 12 or 13 before?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschool wrote: July 8th, 2021, 2:46 pm
The one slight criticism is that he tends to want to offload all the time, almost for the sake of doing so.
That's eminently fixable, experience and some coaching will surely sort that
Think he has a very high ceiling.
Cosgrave looks an interesting prospect too, another Keenan perhaps.
Agree with Hugonaut, it would be interesting to see him in midfield, maybe even at twelve, given his size and offloading ability he could be a real handful.
Has he played 12 or 13 before?
Osborne has played 12 or 13 for Leinster A and Leinster this season.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on July 8th, 2021, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Pretty sure all of Osborne's 6 appearances for Leinster just a few months ago were at 13.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I really hope they pick a position for Kendellen and let him stay there. 7 does seem a natural fit for him but obviously John Hodnett will want to have something to say about this. Could be a very special player.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great to hear such glowing reviews about Kendellan on here.
I had heard prior a couple of months ago that he is a very special player, but is possibly too small to be a senior 8.

Judging on his size and ability in the loose, he could become a great open side, but not sure about blind or 8.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

15. Jamie Osborne (Naas CBS/Naas RFC/Leinster)
14. Ben Moxham (Larne High School/Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
13. Jude Postlethwaite (RBAI/Banbridge RFC/Ulster) - u19
12. Cathal Forde (Colaiste Iognaid/Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
11. Shane Jennings (Garbally College/Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
10. Nathan Doak (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
9. Conor McKee (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
1. Temi Lasisi (CBS Enniscorthy/Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
2. Ronan Loughnane (Cistercian College Roscrea/UCD RFC/Leinster)
3. Sam Illo (Wesley College/Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
4. Mark Morrissey (Blackrock College/UCD RFC/Leinster) - u19

5. Harry Sheridan (Sullivan Upper School/Dublin University FC/Ulster)
6. Alex Soroka (Belvedere College/Clontarf RFC/Leinster)
7. Oisin McCormack (Garbally College/Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
8. Alex Kendellen (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)(Captain)

Replacements:
16. Eoin de Buitléar (Scoil Chuimsitheach Chiaráin/An Ghaeltacht/Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
17. George Saunderson (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
18. Liam Bishop (Trent College/Nottingham University/IQ Rugby)
19. Jack Kelleher (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)
20. Reuben Crothers (Wallace High School/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster) - u19
21. Will Reilly (St Mary’s CBS Portlaoise/MU Barnhall RFC/Leinster)
22. Ben Carson (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster) - u19
23. Chris Cosgrave (St Michael’s College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
24. Fearghail O’Donoghue (Cashel Community School/Cashel RFC/Munster)
25. Donnacha Byrne (Summerhill College/Sligo RFC/Connacht)
26. Chay Mullins (SGC Filton/Bristol Bears/IQ Rugby) - u19
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

mildlyinterested wrote: July 12th, 2021, 2:24 pm 15. Jamie Osborne (Naas CBS/Naas RFC/Leinster)
14. Ben Moxham (Larne High School/Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
13. Jude Postlethwaite (RBAI/Banbridge RFC/Ulster) - u19
12. Cathal Forde (Colaiste Iognaid/Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
11. Shane Jennings (Garbally College/Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
10. Nathan Doak (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
9. Conor McKee (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
1. Temi Lasisi (CBS Enniscorthy/Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
2. Ronan Loughnane (Cistercian College Roscrea/UCD RFC/Leinster)
3. Sam Illo (Wesley College/Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
4. Mark Morrissey (Blackrock College/UCD RFC/Leinster) - u19

5. Harry Sheridan (Sullivan Upper School/Dublin University FC/Ulster)
6. Alex Soroka (Belvedere College/Clontarf RFC/Leinster)
7. Oisin McCormack (Garbally College/Buccaneers RFC/Connacht)
8. Alex Kendellen (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)(Captain)

Replacements:
16. Eoin de Buitléar (Scoil Chuimsitheach Chiaráin/An Ghaeltacht/Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
17. George Saunderson (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
18. Liam Bishop (Trent College/Nottingham University/IQ Rugby)
19. Jack Kelleher (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)
20. Reuben Crothers (Wallace High School/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster) - u19
21. Will Reilly (St Mary’s CBS Portlaoise/MU Barnhall RFC/Leinster)
22. Ben Carson (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster) - u19
23. Chris Cosgrave (St Michael’s College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
24. Fearghail O’Donoghue (Cashel Community School/Cashel RFC/Munster)
25. Donnacha Byrne (Summerhill College/Sligo RFC/Connacht)
26. Chay Mullins (SGC Filton/Bristol Bears/IQ Rugby) - u19
Boyle must be injured as they called up a loosehead after the last game.. he did have knee strapping and looked to be moving awkwardly in last game..

Tim Corkery can't even make the bench, that's disappointing to see, same for Josh O'Connor.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: July 12th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Tim Corkery can't even make the bench, that's disappointing to see, same for Josh O'Connor.
I thought it was one of those unlimited benches and you just had a limit on the number of subs you could use but could put the whole squad on it.
Spiral92
Beginner

Post by Spiral92 »

Both 10s looked very poor throughout the whole competition and to be honest didn’t look like they justified their positions in the squad.