Ireland u20 2021

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland u20 2021

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:16 pm Doak has an unerring ability to find the french back three with overcooked kicks
Kicking has been poor overall really. Although I thought the chase should have been better early on, Moxham in particular seemed to be hesitant and allow the French to catch it under no pressure.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

we could do with a hooker who can hook the ball
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Can't understand why the captain took the scrum under the French post. Getting killed in the scrum and it just kept eating the clock. Crazy
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:32 pm Can't understand why the captain took the scrum under the French post. Getting killed in the scrum and it just kept eating the clock. Crazy
What was the other option?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Kendellen really is some player.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

cormac wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:32 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:32 pm Can't understand why the captain took the scrum under the French post. Getting killed in the scrum and it just kept eating the clock. Crazy
Perhaps I did him an injustice. Was it not a penalty?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:36 pm
cormac wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:32 pm
Perhaps I did him an injustice. Was it not a penalty?
No, the ball had been held up over the line.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It’ll be interesting to see how all those props develop. Lots of talent but very raw. Illo the most polished for me and I think he’ll at least have a solid pro career. If this was ten years ago when we were really short on props then they’d all have the ability to be special projects and given a lot of time, bit harder to do that now.

Really like the look of Sheridan. Think it’s purely a question of size as to whether he makes it or not, don’t see him as a six though if second row doesn’t work out.

Soroka and Kendellen two big standouts. Both have serious all round games, only thing holding the former back could be injuries, only thing holding the latter back could be JVG.

Doak is a real talent but I don’t think he’s god’s gift like a lot of others seem to online. I do expect him to have a big future though and he’s probably not far off being second choice for Ulster already.

Forde and Jennings both look good. Forde a bit hit and miss today but wouldn’t be surprised if he’s carrying an injury.

Osbourne started the tournament well but didn’t really keep it going. He could do with getting involved a little bit more but he probably wasn’t helped by the outhalf issues and not having much help from the wings. I’ve no doubt he’ll be a star though.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

cormac wrote: July 13th, 2021, 6:33 pm Kendellen really is some player.
be interested to see if he can keep that work rate and impact up at senior level where he will be undersized.

certainly 7 looks his best shot.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Review of leinster irish u20's:

LH Prop
Temi Lasisi(19) - 3 starts
Jack Boyle(18) - 1 start, 3 sub apps

Lasisi was the surprise of the u20 tournament for me, probably needs to lose a bit of weight to add to his mobility but he looks a raw but high ceiling prospect. Shame he was hampered by injury for most of the tournament, it will be interesting what happens with him once hes recovered from injury, would walk into any of the other provinces academy but will leinster have a place for him?
Boyle on the other hand came into tournament with a big reputation to live upto and for the most part did until injury ended his tournament, comfortably irelands youngest player in the squad it will be interesting to see how he fills out over the next year as the biggest concern with him going forward may be his size.

TH Prop
Sam Illo(20) - 4 starts, 1 sub app

Another pleasant surprise, Illo was the only reliable irish tighthead at the tournament and that was reflected in him often going beyond 70 mins in his appearances. Assume he has earned a leinster academy contract after an impressive tournament.#

Hooker
Ronan Loughnane(20) - 4 starts, 1 sub
Levi Vaughan(20)

Loughnane performed well throughout the tournament and was clearly irelands best hooker at the tournament, in spite of probably being 3rd choice if all other options were healthy. A bit undersized he plays hard and does the basics well, unlikely to get a leinster academy deal, but may head to another province down south.
Vaughan a late injury replacement, he only made it as a far as the bench in the tournament and will be disappointed to not have gotten a cap.

Lock
Mark Morrisey(19) - 3 starts, 1 sub app

An undersized lock by pro standards he showed a lot of good basics and lineout ability in his limited appearances. Eligible again next season, it will be interesting to see how he fills out, may determine his future at a pro level.

Backrow
Alex Soroka(20) - 5 starts

A standout at either 4 or 6, soroka looked to be carrying an injury all tournament but that didnt prevent him from being consistently very good. Heading into his second year in the academy, can he progress quickly next season once recovered from injury.

Scrumhalf
Will Reilly(20) - 1 sub app

A late replacement, Reilly got the one sub appearance against scotland where he looked good, will be disappointed to not get more chance for the 20's. Looks unlikely to have earned an academy contract.

Outhalf
Tim Corkery(19) - 2 starts, 1 sub

A mixed tournament that ended early due to injury, hard to know if Leinster will offer him academy deal or will they look to further evaluate him over the coming months.

Outside Backs
Jamie Osborne(19) - 5 starts at 15
Chris Cosgrave(19) - 2 starts at 11, 2 sub apps
Josh O'Connor(20) - 1 start at 11

Osborne had a good tournament but somewhat struggled to impose himself at times. It will be interesting to see if Leinster continue with him as a centre or will they try him at 15.
Cosgrave had a mixed tournament appearing at 15 once but mostly playing 11. Scored one good try but had limited impact otherwise, suffering like many of the irish wingers from very little ball.
O'Connor started the first game for ireland and did okay with limited ball, disappeared after that and will be disappointed not to have gotten more opportunities, not sure he did enough to get an academy contract.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Hard to know what to make of it. They didn't play great rugby but can't fault the effort.

Defence and mauls were good, scrums and attack were not good. Illo was very good. Not sure about the other props although Boyle will be much better next year.

Sheridan, Soroka, Kendellen were excellent.
Doak very good. Corkery was good in the first 2 games poor in the England game.

Forde possibly the best back. The others all showed promise but didn't have much chance to shine in the last 3 games. I would have liked to seen Cosgrave at fullback. He made a difference in the first game and I thought they lacked another playmaker. Osborne is a big talent and showed some lovely touches. He just has to make less errors but has potential to play with the seniors.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I’m not really sure where the Osbourne negativity is coming from. I thought he looked a class above everything else we had in the back line. His positioning, defence but especially his range of passing was top class. Yes, he did throw the odd daft offload but he’ll develop that.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote: July 14th, 2021, 8:23 am I’m not really sure where the Osbourne negativity is coming from. I thought he looked a class above everything else we had in the back line. His positioning, defence but especially his range of passing was top class. Yes, he did throw the odd daft offload but he’ll develop that.
Agree. Thought he did marvelously to force his way over for the try against two or three French defenders.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

mildlyinterested wrote: July 13th, 2021, 7:00 pm
be interested to see if he can keep that work rate and impact up at senior level where he will be undersized.

Yeah I hope Munster let him stay at 7. There's a gap in the Munster squad for a high class openside, develop his jackal a little more. His biggest obstacle though is JVG's insanely conservative selection policy. Ahern surely should have had more game time as himself, Coombes and Kendellen are the future of the Munster pack.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

erskinechilders wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:20 am

Yeah I hope Munster let him stay at 7. There's a gap in the Munster squad for a high class openside, develop his jackal a little more. His biggest obstacle though is JVG's insanely conservative selection policy. Ahern surely should have had more game time as himself, Coombes and Kendellen are the future of the Munster pack.

And Hodnett who started last season with a bang. Kendellen is still academy so they might have to promote him as I presume some clubs will be sniffing about.

Mad to think Coombes only got about 135 minutes of action last season (19/20) ! 1 start and 6 sub appearances.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Who knows about promotion. He's probably good for another year as it's late for other countries (and not good value to pickup an academy player who'll go back if he does well) and other provinces will be blocked.

In practise you poach before they get to the academy.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

dropkick wrote: July 16th, 2021, 8:01 pm
erskinechilders wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:20 am

And Hodnett who started last season with a bang. Kendellen is still academy so they might have to promote him as I presume some clubs will be sniffing about.

Mad to think Coombes only got about 135 minutes of action last season (19/20) ! 1 start and 6 sub appearances.
Not sure how it would work but a backrow of Hodnett, Kendellan and Coombes sounds like a seriously talented unit
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I think Kendellan is probably a full season at least away from becoming a first choice player.
If/when he does become 1st choice I hope it is at 7.

I see some commenting that he is very similar to Heaslip, but for me I would see him more as a Wallace.

If he comes through as a 7, then Munster could have a serious backrow with Beirne, Kendellan and Coombes.

My big hope for the coming season is that Munster give Crowley and Ahern plenty of game time.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

munster#1 wrote: July 18th, 2021, 8:18 pm I think Kendellan is probably a full season at least away from becoming a first choice player.
If/when he does become 1st choice I hope it is at 7.

I see some commenting that he is very similar to Heaslip, but for me I would see him more as a Wallace.

If he comes through as a 7, then Munster could have a serious backrow with Beirne, Kendellan and Coombes.

My big hope for the coming season is that Munster give Crowley and Ahern plenty of game time.
Doubt it, they will want a return on investment on their three Saffa locks.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Wrong thread
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.