2023 World Cup draw

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

2023 World Cup draw

Post by CiaranIrl »

World cup draw is in the morning. Am I the only one who had no idea?

As usual, the most interesting thing will be the teams we draw in the group, but the most important thing will be who we might play in the knockout stages. If there's a group with NZ & France or England & Australia, then having that group as your QF draw is a disaster, irrespective of what our own group looks like.

Pot 1: South Africa, New Zealand, England, Wales
Pot 2: Ireland, Australia, France, Japan
Pot 3: Scotland, Argentina, Fiji, Italy
Pot 4: Oceania 1, Europe 1, Americas 1, Asia Pacific 1
Pot 5: Africa 1, Europe 2, Americas 2, Final Qualifier winner

So anything from New Zealand & Argentina to Wales & Fiji.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
nc6000
Mullet

Re: 2023 World Cup draw

Post by nc6000 »

I knew the draw was on, not sure it's something to get too excited about. We're just over a year on since 2019 so still some way to go to 2023.

We could get a really tricky group and a potentially tricky QF too, we will know soon enough.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I'm going to predict we'll get beaten in the quarter-final.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Wales and Italy would be nice.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

CiaranIrl wrote: December 13th, 2020, 8:23 pm World cup draw is in the morning. Am I the only one who had no idea?

As usual, the most interesting thing will be the teams we draw in the group, but the most important thing will be who we might play in the knockout stages. If there's a group with NZ & France or England & Australia, then having that group as your QF draw is a disaster, irrespective of what our own group looks like.

Pot 1: South Africa, New Zealand, England, Wales
Pot 2: Ireland, Australia, France, Japan
Pot 3: Scotland, Argentina, Fiji, Italy
Pot 4: Oceania 1, Europe 1, Americas 1, Asia Pacific 1
Pot 5: Africa 1, Europe 2, Americas 2, Final Qualifier winner

So anything from New Zealand & Argentina to Wales & Fiji.

As the last world cup proved. Wouldn't mind being opposite a group of Wales, Japan and Italy.

But we're going to get Argentina. :lol:

Getting France is the worst possible draw imo with their home advantage.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

cormac wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:50 am I'm going to predict we'll get beaten in the quarter-final.

The coach (who ever that may be) got to conservative and Sexton (from where ever he may be at this time) yielded to much control and because of that everyone else was to afraid to win the game.

Report and internal review undertaken and it won’t happen again.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Looks like it will be a quarter final exit again alright. To NZ/France this time
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Well that was as expected.

Pool A
New Zealand
France
Italy
Americas 1
Africa 1
Pool B
South Africa
Ireland
Scotland
Asia / Pacific 1
Europe 2
Pool C
Wales
Australia
Fiji
Europe 1
Final Qualifier Winner
Pool D
England
Japan
Argentina
Oceania 1
Americas 2
BOD is GOD!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

I think probably the only truly happy team out of that draw would be England. A tough group yes, but if they get out of it they'd be confident to beat Australia or Wales.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Pool B - pool of death.
Q/F A v B, QFs of death.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

FLIP wrote: December 14th, 2020, 12:35 pm I think probably the only truly happy team out of that draw would be England. A tough group yes, but if they get out of it they'd be confident to beat Australia or Wales.
I'd taker our group over that one. I really can't face another humiliation at the hands of Argentina.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Flash Gordon wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:38 pm
FLIP wrote: December 14th, 2020, 12:35 pm I think probably the only truly happy team out of that draw would be England. A tough group yes, but if they get out of it they'd be confident to beat Australia or Wales.
I'd taker our group over that one. I really can't face another humiliation at the hands of Argentina.
Yes, I agree, but England don't really have any fear of Argentina.
Anyone But New Zealand
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

My choice for the order of play would be Scotland, Asia 1, South Africa, Europe 2. Tough game ish against Scotland then a rest before the big one and a rest before the quarters.

Thats my start to fretting about something that is 3 years away.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

French wont be thrilled either with that draw
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Blue not red blood wrote: December 14th, 2020, 4:00 pm French wont be thrilled either with that draw
Gasps of frustration in the attendees to the draw. But it means they can't meet them again until the final.
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Pig of a draw, no doubt about it, but it will look an awful lot better or worse depending on the scheduling.

It doesn't matter if we finish first or second so if the draw enabled us to qualify before the last weekend then we could throw that game and just prep for the QF. The nightmare scenario is that we have to beat Scotland or SA in the last game and the organisers decided to open the tournament with France V NZ meaning that they had an easy time of it in the lead up to the QF.

When I first looked at the draw I thought it was perfect for England but Japan and Argentina are two teams who play at a really quick tempo and might not suit the England kicking game that's being used at the moment so it'll be interesting to see if they change their style a bit in preparation for 2023. It's still set up well for them though.

It''ll also be interesting to see what HIAs are like by 2023. With everything that's happening right now you could imagine a lot of players missing games and it might even lead to larger squads.

I'm very much of the mindset that we shouldn't focus on the World Cup as much as we have in recent years, but given the form of the team and the prospect of these tough games in 3 years time I think we should stop picking guys who haven't delivered and replace them with younger guys with more potential.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

33 years later and nine RWCs without Ireland winning a single k.o. match, I haven't the slightest inclination or desire to engage in any deliberations or speculations re whether it's better to come first or second in the group and who we might prefer to come up against in the QF. I see it like this: Take the group phase one game at a time and secure qualification. Having done that, beat whoever we meet in the QF with whatever team we have. End of!!!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

riocard911 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:12 pm 33 years later and nine RWCs without Ireland winning a single k.o. match, I haven't the slightest inclination or desire to engage in any deliberations or speculations re whether it's better to come first or second in the group and who we might prefer to come up against in the QF. I see it like this: Take the group phase one game at a time and secure qualification. Having done that, beat whoever we meet in the QF with whatever team we have. End of!!!
Completely agree. I'm refusing to even think about it or read , watch or listen to anything in the media on it over the next three years (nearly).
Safe to say, I'm totally fed up putting any emotional investment in the RWC.
Dont Panic!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Dexter wrote: December 14th, 2020, 9:27 pm
riocard911 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:12 pm 33 years later and nine RWCs without Ireland winning a single k.o. match, I haven't the slightest inclination or desire to engage in any deliberations or speculations re whether it's better to come first or second in the group and who we might prefer to come up against in the QF. I see it like this: Take the group phase one game at a time and secure qualification. Having done that, beat whoever we meet in the QF with whatever team we have. End of!!!
Completely agree. I'm refusing to even think about it or read , watch or listen to anything in the media on it over the next three years (nearly).
Safe to say, I'm totally fed up putting any emotional investment in the RWC.
agree with both of you.

my pet hate is the relentless references to "rebuilding for the WC"....STFU!....international rugby is about *always* fielding the best side of players from a given country to win a game. International squads should always be in flux regardless of what is happening in a few years. I include coaches in that....and as we found out with cheika in 2015 and rassie in 2019....both joined the international setup 1 year out from the WC. Both got to their respective finals with rassie winning.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Meh.