England v Ireland 21 November 15:00

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

England v Ireland 21 November 15:00

Post by outcast eddie »

Well there's this... should make our midfield look somewhat different.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4410453
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Fireworks
Mullet

Re: England v Ireland 21 November 15:00

Post by Fireworks »

Will be an interesting selection. I am guessing RB to start at 10 and a Aki, Farrell midfield. But who will fill the bench positions. This is a real test for the depth chart.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Getting a little tired of losing the tight exchanges (and then the game) to the English so while I imagine it'll be Connors, Stander and Doris, I wonder if they are thinking of playing Beirne or Henderson at 6 (Stander to 7) to try to bulk the team up a bit.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Logorrhea wrote: November 16th, 2020, 1:15 pm Getting a little tired of losing the tight exchanges (and then the game) to the English so while I imagine it'll be Connors, Stander and Doris, I wonder if they are thinking of playing Beirne or Henderson at 6 (Stander to 7) to try to bulk the team up a bit.
Given how inconsistent the lineout has been, I think they will go with POM at 6.
Ireland have seen the value of a solid set piece, or more accurately, the detrimental effect of not having it.

POM not only gives you a good option for your own throw, his big ticket steals during opposition throws can be invaluable.

Dorris’s beat display in green has been at 8, so I think he should be shooting it out with stander and not POM.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ryan named as captain. :clap:
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

England will beat us by 10+ points while still in third gear. Simply superior physically and athletically.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote: November 17th, 2020, 6:39 pm England will beat us by 10+ points while still in third gear. Simply superior physically and athletically.
Unless.
The coach has a reality check, learns from our selection mistakes against Saracens and picks a pack to stop the HGV in its tracks.
Not holding moi's breath.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I don't think Ireland are lacking much in the physical stakes. The worry is the English coaches have outsmarted the Irish coaches in the last few games. I think it was John Mitchell that found our achilles heel and since then it's been like playing rock, paper, scissors with someone who knows you're going to pick rock every time. It's easy to smash someone in a tackle if they're were you expect them to be.

I'm sure Farrell knows where Irelands weaknesses are. England will target us with kicks so Keenan could be a key man. The attack is more unpredictable now so England don't have one player (usually Sexton) to target. Although the attack still needs fine tuning I like what I have seen so far as there are multiple passing options. JGP will probably start as he adds more tempo than Murray and I think they need tempo and should play that way because the English players have not played a high level game for a while.

Lowe adds a good left footed kicking option and I think they might try a variety of kicks to test out the English defence.

The set pieces are the worry. Herring offers a better throw while Kellehers is more risky but offers more around the pitch. They might need to go with Kelleher and hope he hits his targets.

I think Connors will start and go after the Vunipolas. Irelands breakdown has been very good and they've arrived in numbers quickly. They'll need to do it again but so will England.

I'm not sure how it will go but at the very least I hope the coaches have learned their lessons and they'll give England a tough game.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

We aren't lacking physically against most opponents but we are against England. I know they won't have all of these guys tomorrow, but think of two Vunipolas, Manu Tuilagi, Cokanasiga, Sinckler, Itoje, Lawes, Genge, May....we just don't have an answer to the raw size, strength, power, speed, strength and general athleticism of those guys.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Theres no doubt England have had the tactical edge over the last few games and have targeted specific areas really well, but I believe a fit and firing Furlong and Leavy are certainly part of the answer to the power problem. Our back three defense has been exposed a number of times by England and I think this really should be make or break for Stockdale at fullback. Farrell seems intent on making him into a 'JPR' style fullback, but I worry hugely that he does not have the aerial skills for that game. I'd really prefer to see Keenan there, and I talked to the dog in the street and he said the same. Possible Lions Jerseys up for grabs, England are the guys in possession of them at the moment, this weekends game might decide if some of those Jerseys turn green.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

15. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster) 3
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 85
13. Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 11
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 28
11. James Lowe (Leinster) 1
10. Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 8
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (Leinster) 3
1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 101
2. Ronan Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster) 4
3. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 29
4. Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 13
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 29
6. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 43
7. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 70
8. Caelan Doris (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 5

Replacements:

16. Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 13
17. Ed Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 3
18. Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 12
19. Iain Henderson (Academy/Ulster) 55
20. Will Connors (UCD/Leinster) 3
21. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 84
22. Billy Burns (UIster) 1
23. Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 30
I have Bumbleflex
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I’m glad they’ve retained Keenan. He’s been a bit better than Stockdale at 15 and Stockdale covers the whole back three (as Keenan would).

Roux was really good last week and is our best chance to counter England’s power in the scrum. I suspect Leinster’s bad showing in the scrum v. Saracens helped his cause

James Ryan was a little underwhelming last week, hoping his mind was already on settling some accounts in London
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

A bit skinny at centre if Farrell or Aki should go down early.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

I can see the logic of starting Ligind as he is not an impact sub.
Front row bench is weak but if you add Furlong, Kilcoyne, Baird, Leavy to the mix then you are looking at a serious bench/starting option.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Twist wrote: November 18th, 2020, 12:44 pm I’m glad they’ve retained Keenan. He’s been a bit better than Stockdale at 15 and Stockdale covers the whole back three (as Keenan would).

Roux was really good last week and is our best chance to counter England’s power in the scrum. I suspect Leinster’s bad showing in the scrum v. Saracens helped his cause

James Ryan was a little underwhelming last week, hoping his mind was already on settling some accounts in London
I think you're right. I think the selection of POM at 7 reinforces that. They obviously see the scrum being a gigger concern then Billy V running loose so it will be interesting to see if they're right. If Billy V gets off to a gallop early I think you might see Connors earlier then Normal.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeinsterLeader wrote: November 18th, 2020, 2:09 pm
Twist wrote: November 18th, 2020, 12:44 pm I’m glad they’ve retained Keenan. He’s been a bit better than Stockdale at 15 and Stockdale covers the whole back three (as Keenan would).

I think you're right. I think the selection of POM at 7 reinforces that. They obviously see the scrum being a gigger concern then Billy V running loose so it will be interesting to see if they're right. If Billy V gets off to a gallop early I think you might see Connors earlier then Normal.
I expect we'll see CJ on left flanker for their scrums taking Billy V and leaving PO'M to take care of Youngs & Ford / Farrell with JGP. The key factor is whether the English scrum is going forward or wheeling to the right. Those are the opportunites that Billy thrives on. If we can ensure a static or messy scrum, Billy & Youngs can be pressurised. However, thus far in two Seasons only the French and Saffers have managed this.
chrismcc
Bookworm

Post by chrismcc »

John23 wrote: November 18th, 2020, 1:30 pm A bit skinny at centre if Farrell or Aki should go down early.
Ross Byrne to 12 or earls to 13 I presume, maybe both if we are unlucky! Not the greatest options by Ringrose and Henshaw would be missed in most international 23s.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It's a team that rewards form. That's the best way to pick a team.

Roux ahead of Henderson is good to see. Henderson can be an excellent ball carrier but we rarely see it because he is doing the donkey work at tightness. Get Roux to do that and it might free up Henderson to make an impact off the bench.

Conway dropped which isn't surprising as he hasn't been great. Hopefully Earls gets up to speed quickly. I don't think we'll see Stockdale before the 70th min if it's a tight game unless there are injuries.

Happy to see Kelleher and POM starting will help. I'd imagine POM will also be going after the English lineout though George is a good thrower.

Good to see Doris starting at 8 and Stander at 6. Thats a better balance than the other way around.

Stockdale has also played center but it will probably be Earls covering there.

Big game for Ross Byrne. He has to show he belongs at this level. I hope they'll use his kicking game to find space behind the English defence. Stretch them that way.

I'm looking forward to the match to see where we stand. The team selection rewards form and it looks like Farrell is learning from every match in terms of getting the balance right.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

We are pedestrian across 10, 12, 13 and lightweight from 16 to 18

Starting with 5 residency players and 3 Grandparent-qualified on the bench is not a good look. It’s fine at Club level - but not, Matera says, when you are “playing for your country” or watching for that matter. All I Ely lads no doubt, but that’s not the point.

It’s not where you were born but where you will choose to be buried that is the measure of your commitment to a country.

Watch the media on this in the days ahead.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: November 18th, 2020, 12:31 pm 15. Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster) 3
14. Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster) 85
13. Chris Farrell (Young Munster/Munster) 11
12. Bundee Aki (Galwegians/Connacht) 28
11. James Lowe (Leinster) 1
10. Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 8
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (Leinster) 3
1. Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster) 101
2. Ronan Kelleher (Lansdowne/Leinster) 4
3. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 29
4. Quinn Roux (Galwegians/Connacht) 13
5. James Ryan (UCD/Leinster) 29
6. CJ Stander (Shannon/Munster) 43
7. Peter O’Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 70
8. Caelan Doris (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) 5

Replacements:

16. Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) 13
17. Ed Byrne (UCD/Leinster) 3
18. Finlay Bealham (Buccaneers/Connacht) 12
19. Iain Henderson (Academy/Ulster) 55
20. Will Connors (UCD/Leinster) 3
21. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 84
22. Billy Burns (UIster) 1
23. Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 30
I like the selection. This was one I’d have gone for Connors to start because Billy Vunipola had a quiet game recently with him in there.

8 players with 5 or fewer caps and another 5 with fewer than 20.