England v Ireland 21 November 15:00

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: England v Ireland 21 November 15:00

Post by Peg Leg »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 20th, 2020, 7:19 am The focus put on Porter by Jones is indicative of a small concern and attempt to direct the focus of the Ref for Saturday. Personally I'm delighted and hope that Porter, Roux, Stander can stuff M Vunipola and launchbury at least once in first three scrums.

As for the UN crack, what should we expect from Jones who considers pre-match banter as part of the contest.
I am starting to come around to Jones.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Jones is in on the conversation now.
United Nations has a nice ring to it.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/in ... 21qhSWqApk
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A bit of Argy Bargy from eddie there. He has used at least 20 foreign born players since taking the reins at england.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

blockhead wrote: November 20th, 2020, 9:37 pm A bit of Argy Bargy from eddie there. He has used at least 20 foreign born players since taking the reins at england.
And from about 9 differnet nations
:lol:
Thats if the USA is still a nation.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

The UN comment is an old sledge originally directed at his him and his Japan team. Seems its something that stuck with him
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

EJ says these things so all the attention is on him and not his players. It works every time.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Ed Byrne ruled out with injury. Bealham switches to 17 with John Ryan coming onto the bench.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

So it’s the UN against the old enemy.

As always, playing England is a big game, and even though this is little more than a challenge match I am highly excited to see how we perform.

Looking 1-15, this is probably one of the weakest teams that we have fielded against England, so I would be surprised to see a win here, but I do hope that the likes of Doris, Porter, Byrne and Keenan lay down a marker, to show that they are here to stay.

Set piece may be our downfall IMO. Our lineout is likely to suffer a few poor throws, and our scrum may get a good seeing to.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Seems like things like rolling away, releasing the tackler and supporting your own weight are optional today
Anyone But New Zealand
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

FLIP wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:34 pm Seems like things like rolling away, releasing the tackler and supporting your own weight are optional today
Along with staying onside but I'm fed up mentioning that one.
Dont Panic!
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

Not entirely true hes blowing them up against us.
Also how did TMO not call attention to the Irish player getting dragged around by a head lock
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

odyboody wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:50 pm Not entirely true hes blowing them up against us.
Also how did TMO not call attention to the Irish player getting dragged around by a head lock
Yep.

Nige is too busy thinking up his next quip
Anyone But New Zealand
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Dexter wrote:
FLIP wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:34 pm Seems like things like rolling away, releasing the tackler and supporting your own weight are optional today
Came here to make these exact points.

There was a ridiculous penalty given against Keenan early on. Launchbury tackled him and just lay on him like a log, making no effort to release or roll away.

Our lineout is our biggest problem though. Why we persist with going to the corner on kickable penalties is a mystery.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twist wrote: November 21st, 2020, 3:52 pm
Dexter wrote:
Came here to make these exact points.

There was a ridiculous penalty given against Keenan early on. Launchbury tackled him and just lay on him like a log, making no effort to release or roll away.

Our lineout is our biggest problem though. Why we persist with going to the corner on kickable penalties is a mystery.
On the belief that POM might actually catch a lineout this match
Anyone But New Zealand
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

England are very good at clearing out ie running into the breakdown as fast as they can and smashing the poacher as hard as they can with zero control, when we tried to clear out like them Ryan got done for going off his feet.

All you want is consistency, even if you disagree with how something is reffed if it’s done the same way against both teams it’s easier to stomach.
Last edited by OTT on November 21st, 2020, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Double post.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

England's feet aren't even behind the hind most foot never mind their hands which are half way up the ruck
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

Tough watch that. Once again bullied by England right across the park, although I was getting fed up with the amount of turnovers England were being awarded when the jackler clearly wasn’t supporting his body weight. The Earl one was clear cut
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

That was an absolutely brutal performance from Ireland.

Ireland looked a really poorly coached team with no plan B.
The coach bottled it. He needed to be ruthless, but he left a number of players out there for too long. The changes that were made improved our performance, but it was too little too late.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

What - if anything - do the stats on territory and possession mean? Were England letting us have it for some reason or are we just really good in the middle third and really bad in the final third?