France vs Ireland, 31 Oct - 8pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: France vs Ireland, 31 Oct - 8pm

Post by neiliog93 »

bronxbull wrote: October 28th, 2020, 9:13 pm Could this match be under threat of postponement after the cancellation of the Women's game this evening?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
If it's called off it won't be postponed, it'll be written off or called a draw. I don't think it'll be called off though, as the French lockdown has an exception for (professional) sport.

This is very winnable for us against a greatly improved but still developing French team, and without the support of a Parisian crowd. We could well sneak a championship we scarcely deserve. I won't feel guilty as we should have won in 2006 and 2007 and were very unlucky then.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

neiliog93 wrote: October 29th, 2020, 3:08 am
bronxbull wrote: October 28th, 2020, 9:13 pm Could this match be under threat of postponement after the cancellation of the Women's game this evening?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
If it's called off it won't be postponed, it'll be written off or called a draw. I don't think it'll be called off though, as the French lockdown has an exception for (professional) sport.

This is very winnable for us against a greatly improved but still developing French team, and without the support of a Parisian crowd. We could well sneak a championship we scarcely deserve. I won't feel guilty as we should have won in 2006 and 2007 and were very unlucky then.
The word 'support' is doing a lot of work in this instance.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Quick interview with Zebo about the game with french media
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/test-mat ... tory.shtml
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

French team announced: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4394279

Arthur Vincent of Montpellier comes in at No12, with Fickou moving to the wing.

Vincent is a 21 year old who started this year's Six Nations games in February and March, prior to the postponement of the remaining rounds. He previously featured for the French U20s in both their Junior World Cup triumphs [2018 & 2019] and in their 2018 U20 Six Nations win.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

What are people's thoughts about Galthie trying to put a definite shape on his French team with an eye to RWC23 this far out from the tournament?

Firstly, is there a consensus that that is what he is doing? Or are his consistent selections over the course of his tournament motivated by winning this tournament? I've broken down the matchday 23 that featured against Wales below, showing

a] year of birth
b] age at RWC23
c] number of players at this age
d] who they are

b.1999 | 24 @ RWC23 | [3] | Ntamack, Vincent, Gros
b.1998 | 25 @ RWC23 | [1] | Bamba
b.1997 | 26 @ RWC23 | [2] | Alldritt, Cretin
b.1996 | 27 @ RWC23 | [1] | Dupont
b.1995 | 28 @ RWC23 | [3] | Marchand, Ramos, Chat
b.1994 | 29 @ RWC23 | [4] | Cros, Fickou, Haouas, Serin
b.1993 | 30 @ RWC23 | [3] | Ollivon, Thomas, Baille
b.1992 | 31 @ RWC23 | [4] | Vakatawa, Rattez, Bouthier, Willemse
b.1991 | 32 @ RWC23 | [0] |
b.1990 | 33 @ RWC23 | [1] | Taofifenua
b.1989 | 34 @ RWC23 | [1] | le Roux

Is this the optimal way to prepare for a tournament three years away, or are you better off concentrating on building a winning team and plugging in players as they hit form? Answers on a postcard.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Good question.

Personally I have been beaten into living in the here and now. Win what you can when you can. All the best planning in the world will count for nothing if things outside your control go against you eg injuries and suspensions at RWC 2015 which denied us 1/3 of our first choice 15 against Argentina. Result we are all devastated as a nation. We try and right this wrong for 2019 we try and build more depth we peak in 2018 at number 1 in the world rankings and try and try and try to keep this rolling till the world cup but certain players lost form and confidence over the next year and we get beaten badly in the quarter finals after already getting beaten by Japan in the pools. Result: we are all devastated as a nation.

I like winning 6 nations, I like when Ireland beat NZ, SA and Australia in one off games something I could only dream of when I was a child. I would prefer to win 80% of all our games than try and peak in a world cup quarter final that might or might not fall our way.

I used to think differently but I don't think all the planning in the world will win you a particular game every four years at the end of the day, if you are playing well you have a chance if you're not that lessens.

I like the French selection by the way, not sure if it is their best but they have so many good players to choose from they should be better than they are a lot of the time.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peaking is an overrated concept.
It's far more important to identify the type of players required both physically and mentally to win any game or group of games.
Then you need to build depth.
Then a decent coaching team.
Lastly you need to have been doing the above for a long number of years.
The 23 we have have selected (in part because we don't have alternatives) doesn't have the necessary physicality up front to beat France.
Ireland and provinces consistently fail against English packs, that will have to change if we are be contenders for RWCs because they occur so infrequently.
Lack of fitness has left France vulnerable in the past but that advantage would appear to be fast disappearing.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

One of the findings from Ireland's 2019 world cup failure was that focussing on peaking at a particular time is counter-productive.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Peaking works under the right circumstances, mainly when you are trying to accelerate a new generation after a poor one.

France have not had a good run of it at international level for a few years. Best to ditch a lot of those guys and build with a new generation who have come through a different development pathway.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Broadly agree with the viewpoints that peaking is very difficult or dangerous (i.e. if coaches ignore form in favour of reputation or experience).

Heard a little snippet of OTB last night where Sam Warburton and Paul O'Connell were talking about the impact and outlook of Sir Ian McGeechan on 2013 Lions Tour. PO'C emphasised how important Geech considered it was that every player selected on a Lions Tour should feel they had a chance of being selected for the First Test.

By the time of RWC2019, I had reluctantly come to the conclusion that the most significant weakness of JS was his skill at selection. Conversely, the greatest strength demonstrated by Rassie, both as Munster and SA coach was as a selector.

Whether either had a totally fixed viewpoint on peaking / form / experience is difficult to determine merely by analysis of their selections. What is clear is that Rassie got it right on the biggest stage.

What is also clear is that only NZ (twice) and SA have won the World Cup at home. England, France & Australia all screwed up the opportunity to do so because of selection mistakes in vital games - according to their respective Coaches in either biographies or subsequent interviews.

It remains to be seen whether Galthie, with the assistance of significantly experienced Assistants, can do better in 2023. It certainly seems as if he is going the route of Woodward (2001-3) in developing a Squad which he will try to keep together for the full three-year lead in to his home RWC. Whether that will make him a hostage to fortune by way of injuries and loss of form will be fascinating to watch over the coming seasons.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

neiliog93 wrote: October 29th, 2020, 11:53 pm One of the findings from Ireland's 2019 world cup failure was that focussing on peaking at a particular time is counter-productive.
I disagree with the report. Schmidt might have focused on peaking but at that stage when the world cup came around ireland had lost all momentum from their peak in 2018 and were heading towards a trough. Schmidt tried but couldn't get that momentum back. In my opinion, the trough was always going to follow the peak of the 2 previous years unless Schmidt made some radical changes and that was never going to happen.

Its not easy to regain momentum. Remember NZ peaking between world cups. SA were terrible between the last 2 world cups but Rassie steadied the ship and they began to pick up momentum and peaked at the right time.

Its like a good energy throughout the squad where everything starts going your way in terms of injuries, bounce of the ball, ref decisions etc. I think Warren Gatland is one who understands that and always has Wales playing their best at world cups.
In 2011 Wales had a bad 6 nations. By the time the world cup came around it was a transformed team and they nearly got to the final. That team came out of nowhere.

So imo peaking is the right thing to do but doing it is a different story.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I wonder whether the disgusting attacks on France & French values this week will affect their players’ emotional state? I’d imagine it could only be further motivation to give the country a lift
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Odd that the French get a penalty try when we didn't?
Anyone But New Zealand
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

This is pretty poor from both sides.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BOD is GOD!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Besides a massive error from Stockdale we've been by far the better side imo.

It's a tight pressure based kicking game and that suits us.

Still think we can do this.

Totally wrong call not to kick three at the end of the half though. Madness from Johnny.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

James Lowe is IQ for when, the next game or the one after?
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Really don’t think Farrell should have been on the bench. Could really do with earls
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

Ah lads, we need a proper fullback,
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Nice run from henshaw there!

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BOD is GOD!