8 Nations 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: 8 Nations 2020

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote: September 12th, 2020, 6:24 pm
paddyor wrote:+1 to the boys. The expanse is also excellent.
Yes, it's about 409 times better than Altered Carbon
Defo the exact opposite for me. Expanse not bad but gave up somewhere in season 3. Altered carbon I loved.

Have the boys downloaded for the holiday. Future ex son in law says it's great
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote: September 12th, 2020, 7:28 pm Future ex son in law says it's great

Ghost him. Now.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

heno wrote: September 12th, 2020, 8:58 am I literally had card in hand, willing to pay for an episode of a series I missed, but they declined because it was an irish card.
So I went and got it from somewhere else (That may or may not have been free and or legal).

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Stupid Amazon prime! All the content I downloaded in the app is coming up as expired and 2/3/4G coverage is only good enough for email. Not streaming.

Bah!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Georgian rugby vice-president arrested after player shot in the leg--Ramaz Kharazishvili’s life not in danger after incident at the offices of governing body

Probably just havin a larf.
Does the Georgian rugby vice-president have a history of charity work?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It's his first offence of this kind in the last few years. At least that he was prosecuted for. He may have sh!t a couple of people in the more recent past but the police turned a blind eye at the time due to his importance.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ireland have a big problem in the back three now.

Stockdale and Larmour both looking poor in a lot of ways. Lowe struggling positionally and in the air. Earls will be 33 in a couple of weeks and didn’t do a whole lot for Munster recently, although part of that was due to their game plan. No Joey as an option at fullback. Rob gone.

Conway still looked quite sharp but didn’t get much ball.

Not great.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Shane Daly has had a great weekend.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 20th, 2020, 1:34 pm Shane Daly has had a great weekend.
Keenan had an even better one.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

We might be looking at the following back three for the remaining Six Nations games:

11.Stockdale 14.Conway

15.S.Daly

23.Larmour

Also with Lowe to get a debut against Wales or Georgia when he qualifies in November, and Larmour to start one of those games on the wing. If Dave Kearney is back from injury, he might also get a look-in based on pre-lockdown form.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 6:50 pm We might be looking at the following back three for the remaining Six Nations games:

11.Stockdale 14.Conway

15.S.Daly

23.Larmour

Also with Lowe to get a debut against Wales or Georgia when he qualifies in November, and Larmour to start one of those games on the wing. If Dave Kearney is back from injury, he might also get a look-in based on pre-lockdown form.
Dunno about Stockdale after today's performance against Toulouse.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote: September 20th, 2020, 7:13 pm
neiliog93 wrote: September 20th, 2020, 6:50 pm We might be looking at the following back three for the remaining Six Nations games:

11.Stockdale 14.Conway

15.S.Daly

23.Larmour

Dunno about Stockdale after today's performance against Toulouse.
Larmour is getting a chance to grow into 15. It’s a reason that Kearney fell so fast in the pecking order after the RWC. In the short term I wouldn’t be too concerned that he will get dropped.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I don't think there's much excitement in the entire Ireland backline. Scrum-half is another big problem. The choices are out of form guys in their late 20s/early 30s, out of form/not selected guys in their mid 20's, or a couple of promising but untested players in their early 20's.

Centre pairing and how we use 12 and 13 won't change. It isn't edge of the seat stuff and it isn't very successful either, in recent campaigns.
None of the outside backs are especially exciting either. Stockdale is nowhere near 2018 form or effectiveness. Larmour makes too many mistakes and isn't a threat if he's closed down/penned into his 22, Conway has to start but even then, he's more of an industrious winger. Hard working etc

I don't know but I find watching Ireland to be a joyless experience. I know it is pointless to say we should play like Japan, or throw the ball around, offload every 5 seconds etc....but we're still so turgid. Absolutely everything revolves around one playmaker (Sexton), Henshaw is used to batter first phase up the middle (even though we know he has more to his game), our back 3 chase kicks....everytime we get a penalty advantage in their 22, Sexton tries a speculative kick to the corner which never works. Sometimes he even kicks a drop goal :shock: I don't know how it can be achieved but I really wish we could play with a bit more fizz, more pace and take a few more risks. Chips/dinks behind would be a start. Turn defenders around. We go through phase after phase of pick and goes and someone is pinged for holding on after 26 phases.

It seems to me Ireland have to work really, really hard for their 7 points. When we build momentum, it feels like we will soon lose the ball. It is exhausting for both teams, not just the defending team.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Selecting a Squad is one thing. Selecting a match 23 is entirely different in the current circumstances where Provinces have been on separate pathways for almost 6 weeks (by the time a National Squad gathers).

A case could be made that the games till the 6 Nations should be treated as a series of developmental games, targeted at seeing whether some players have the skill and physiques for this level. Without spectators there's no need to work "to attract fans" so Farrell et al can afford to delve into some newer areas.

Based on a reasonable assessment of current form, I wouldn't have any problem with a Squad match-off excluding over 30's something like this:

15. Shane Daly / Hugo Keenan
14. Andrew Conway / Jacob Stockdale
13. Garry Ringrose / James Hume
12. Robbie Henshaw / Chris Farrell
11. James Lowe / Jordan Larmour
10. Ross Byrne / Jack Carty
9. Caolin Blade / JGP

8. Jack Conan / Tadgh Beirne
7. JVdF / Will Connors
6. Caelan Doris / Dan Leavy
5. Iain Henderson / Quinn Roux
4. James Ryan / Ultan Dillane
3. Tadgh Furlong / Finlay Bealham
2. Robbie Kelleher / Dave Heffernan
1. Eric O'Sullivan / Ed Byrne

Loose head would be my sole area of concern in that group about adequate cover at international level. There's plenty of time now for experimentation and exclusion of guys like J10, Earls, Murray, Healy, McGrath (Jack), Herring, PO'M & Stander.

It will be a miracle if any of them are around for RWC23 and, other than the No 1 shirt mentioned above, the contenders listed should be able to handle anything Italy, Fiji or Wales put against us. France & England are in a different category, physically, but our younger guys have to evolve their experience and tactics of how to take on teams we can't expect to match physically.

So, essentially the suggestion is to give our over 30's a 4- month sabbatical. They may not want it, but I believe that it would be very beneficial for Ireland for seasons from 2021-22 onwards.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I’m with you to a large extent RTB, couldn’t give a fiddlers if we play second and third choice teams and get pumped as long we’re trying to do something different and are in better shape for the medium and long term from the start of the 6N.

We’ve been in a rut since the first 6N game in 2019 and Farrell didn’t do enough to spark us into life this year but now is the perfect opportunity to do so IMO.

Even someone like Craig Casey could start a game or two, maybe even a sub appearance or two for Harry Byrne. It’s just not the same as a normal tournament, I’d treat it like a Churchill Cup, autumn internationals, and pre season friendlies all rolled into one.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 8:08 pm Selecting a Squad is one thing. Selecting a match 23 is entirely different in the current circumstances where Provinces have been on separate pathways for almost 6 weeks (by the time a National Squad gathers).

A case could be made that the games till the 6 Nations should be treated as a series of developmental games, targeted at seeing whether some players have the skill and physiques for this level. Without spectators there's no need to work "to attract fans" so Farrell et al can afford to delve into some newer areas.

Based on a reasonable assessment of current form, I wouldn't have any problem with a Squad match-off excluding over 30's something like this:

15. Shane Daly / Hugo Keenan
14. Andrew Conway / Jacob Stockdale
13. Garry Ringrose / James Hume
12. Robbie Henshaw / Chris Farrell
11. James Lowe / Jordan Larmour
10. Ross Byrne / Jack Carty
9. Caolin Blade / JGP

8. Jack Conan / Tadgh Beirne
7. JVdF / Will Connors
6. Caelan Doris / Dan Leavy
5. Iain Henderson / Quinn Roux
4. James Ryan / Ultan Dillane
3. Tadgh Furlong / Finlay Bealham
2. Robbie Kelleher / Dave Heffernan
1. Eric O'Sullivan / Ed Byrne

Loose head would be my sole area of concern in that group about adequate cover at international level. There's plenty of time now for experimentation and exclusion of guys like J10, Earls, Murray, Healy, McGrath (Jack), Herring, PO'M & Stander.

It will be a miracle if any of them are around for RWC23 and, other than the No 1 shirt mentioned above, the contenders listed should be able to handle anything Italy, Fiji or Wales put against us. France & England are in a different category, physically, but our younger guys have to evolve their experience and tactics of how to take on teams we can't expect to match physically.

So, essentially the suggestion is to give our over 30's a 4- month sabbatical. They may not want it, but I believe that it would be very beneficial for Ireland for seasons from 2021-22 onwards.
I forgot Peter Dooley who is a genuine contender for international honours among the U.30s in Ireland. He has the frame, the specific skills and the all-round ability to play No 1 in the mould of our much-underated S.A. loose-head Van de Merve.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

What id like to see is the following.

1 Design a gameplan to take on the big, powerful teams. That means attacking space and for that all the forwards need to become comfortable passing the ball.

2 Stick to that gameplan especially in the coming months. No point crushing italy playing 10 man rugby. We need to play all games with a view to taking on the biggest sides.

3 Freshen up the squad with new talent. It adds freshness and energy to the squad. The firm players breaking through and one or two of the hottest prospects in irish rugby like Harry Byrne.

4 Pick players based more on form. Its a radical concept for team Ireland! I'm a big fan of Stockdale and Larmour but if they're not performing then drop them. Form players, while maybe not as good on paper, they perform better.

5 Keep rotating the team. It might contradict picking on form but the form players should be getting most minutes.

We don't have to turn into Japan but let's be inventive. I'd also like the players to have more freedom to try things and be less robotic looking. George Ford spoke about the English defensive coach telling his players everything goes through Sexton.

Having said all that and even though its a great opportunity for change, I'm not expecting much.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Thornley's squad -

Hookers: Dave Heffernan, Rob Herring, Rónan Kelleher.

Props: Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Ed Byrne, Andrew Porter, John Ryan, Finlay Bealham.

Locks: Ultan Dillane, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Tadhg Beirne.

Backrows: Will Connors, Caelan Doris, Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony, CJ Stander, Josh van der Flier.

BACKS
Scrumhalves: Conor Murray, Kieran Marmion, Jamison Gibson-Park, Craig Casey.

Outhalves: Johnny Sexton, Ross Byrne, Jack Carty, Harry Byrne.

Centres: Bundee Aki, Chris Farrell, Robbie Henshaw, Garry Ringrose.

Outside backs: Andrew Conway, Shane Daly, Jacob Stockdale, Jordan Larmour, Hugo Keenan.

No Conan or L. McGrath.

Bairid, Keenan, JGP and H. Byrne make it though.

We'll be seriously hard up for 10s if H Byrne isn't released!
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

wixfjord wrote: October 7th, 2020, 9:48 pm Thornley's squad -

Props: Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Ed Byrne, Andrew Porter, John Ryan, Finlay Bealham.

Backrows: Will Connors, Caelan Doris, Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony, CJ Stander, Josh van der Flier.

BACKS

Outside backs: Andrew Conway, Shane Daly, Jacob Stockdale, Jordan Larmour, Hugo Keenan.

No Conan or L. McGrath.

No James Lowe. Some slots will be development players i think. Casey being one.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

dropkick wrote: October 7th, 2020, 9:58 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 7th, 2020, 9:48 pm Thornley's squad -

BACKS

No Conan or L. McGrath.

No James Lowe. Some slots will be development players i think. Casey being one.

Lowe isn't eligible yet.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Eligible in Early November. Nothing stopping him training with Ireland before that. I believe Kleyn did and bleyendaal.