8 Nations 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: 8 Nations 2020

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 20th, 2020, 11:53 am Would it be fair to say that the communication between the IRFU and Leinster isn't great if they both released new kits within 24 hours of each other? Also find it strange timing when all the new football kits are being released around now too.
I'd say they just had to get them out there after holding off for as long as possible. Shops have been out of stock for a while now and they need stock to drive footfall and a launch to drive sales. The branch/union need sales to start to get revenue in. Its not ideal, but what is these days
I have Bumbleflex
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 20th, 2020, 10:40 am Next year's jersey will be Octarine
I thought Leinster had copyright on magic.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 20th, 2020, 1:22 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 20th, 2020, 11:53 am Would it be fair to say that the communication between the IRFU and Leinster isn't great if they both released new kits within 24 hours of each other? Also find it strange timing when all the new football kits are being released around now too.
I'd say they just had to get them out there after holding off for as long as possible. Shops have been out of stock for a while now and they need stock to drive footfall and a launch to drive sales. The branch/union need sales to start to get revenue in. Its not ideal, but what is these days
Appreciate that alright but the 24 hour element is still a big red flag for me. Plus you've got two different brands and two different retailers involved. It really does look like they weren't talking to each other. If I was Leinster/Lifestyle then I'd be fairly pissed off that the IRFU were trying to steal the limelight, especially when Ireland don't play for a while but we have the game next week. They could have at least waited until Monday week.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There's no limelight to steal anymore - there used to be a finite supply of column inches and airtime, but thats no longer the case. With the granularity available now through targeting on social media, the limelight is now laser focussed. If this were a couple of years ago (even as few as three or four), I'd agree with you entirely and say its a major communications fup up, but it's a different landscape now - the ability to put messaging in front of the people you want it in front of, no matter what else is going on, has completely changed marketing and advertising.

Also, just to add grist to your wheel ;) Connacht announced a new sponsor on monday and new training kit - so they're doubly hard done by, by us and by the union!
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 20th, 2020, 5:07 pm There's no limelight to steal anymore - there used to be a finite supply of column inches and airtime, but thats no longer the case. With the granularity available now through targeting on social media, the limelight is now laser focussed. If this were a couple of years ago (even as few as three or four), I'd agree with you entirely and say its a major communications fup up, but it's a different landscape now - the ability to put messaging in front of the people you want it in front of, no matter what else is going on, has completely changed marketing and advertising.

Also, just to add grist to your wheel ;) Connacht announced a new sponsor on monday and new training kit - so they're doubly hard done by, by us and by the union!
No that wouldn't bother me so much because it makes sense for the clubs to announce things at the same time and it makes sense to do it this week before they play their first games after the restart.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Latest news on the 8 Nations is that Georgia will replace Japan in the tournament and be in Ireland's pool with Wales and England. Fiji, Scotland, France and Italy in other pool.

Amazon Prime apparently considering bidding for the broadcast rights.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

neill_m wrote: September 7th, 2020, 9:49 pm Latest news on the 8 Nations is that Georgia will replace Japan in the tournament and be in Ireland's pool with Wales and England. Fiji, Scotland, France and Italy in other pool.

Seriously unbalanced pools.
Ireland, England and Wales have won the last nine 6Nations between them.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

blockhead wrote: September 7th, 2020, 9:58 pm
neill_m wrote: September 7th, 2020, 9:49 pm Latest news on the 8 Nations is that Georgia will replace Japan in the tournament and be in Ireland's pool with Wales and England. Fiji, Scotland, France and Italy in other pool.

Seriously unbalanced pools.
Ireland, England and Wales have won the last nine 6Nations between them.
If this information via Daily Telegraph twitter account is sound and I was being cynical it does avoid a Georgia Italy game with all talk around that re promotion/relegation re 6N
Longtimelurker
Beginner

Post by Longtimelurker »

Delighted for Georgia. But have to feel for them being put into that seriously unbalanced group. Was that a random draw?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

There was absolute resistance at World Rugby for contests between Georgia and either, or both of, Scotland or Italy. The 'fear' of either country of facing such confrontations were not directly addressed at formal meetings of World Rugby but sideline lobbying from the 6N CEO and Chairman effectively ensured that such games, in a competitive environment, would not occur as the 'wrong' results would only fuel the ongoing debate about 6N membership and possible relegation / promotion to the world's most lucrative annual international rugby tournament.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The format of the tournament with a finals day on Dec 5, means there is a fair chance of a Georgia Italy game 4th in A v 4th in B.

Georgia ranked 12th in with 3rd, 4th and 6th ranked sides. The Italy group has teams ranked 5th, 8th, 11th and 14th.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Conor Murray going for a scan on an injured thigh (probably caused by all the kicking), so could put extra strain on our 9's resources during that period.
By our, I mean Leinster btw.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Ireland's games confirmed.

Fri Nov 13 7pm v Wales (H)
Sat Nov 21 3pm v England (A)
Sun Nov 29 2pm v Georgia (H)
Sat Dec 5 2:15pm v TBD (H)

https://twitter.com/RavenhillRoar/statu ... 80577?s=20

Ireland's group games on Channel 4/RTE2 with England game also on primary broadcaster Amazon Prime.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There is a strange omerta on twitter at the moment as regards television rights for this tournament. The UK rights are held by Amazon, as announced this morning (except for a game or two on CH4), the rights for Irish home games are held by RTE (and England v Ireland will be on Ch4) - but when pushed, no one - journalists, the Union, employees of the Union will say where the Irish rights for the games not involving Ireland are. The Irish Rugby media went big on Amazon having the rights, then the Union announced the Irish rights for the Ireland games while being quite pointed about Amazon holding the UK rights.

So, who has the Irish rights? Are they still under negotiation? Are they sold but the announcment is embargoed? Or is there no interest?
The only thing thats certain is that Irish rugby fans, as of this point in time, have no idea where they can watch the remainder of the tournament.
Good job guys.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 11th, 2020, 12:45 pm There is a strange omerta on twitter at the moment as regards television rights for this tournament. The UK rights are held by Amazon, as announced this morning (except for a game or two on CH4), the rights for Irish home games are held by RTE (and England v Ireland will be on Ch4) - but when pushed, no one - journalists, the Union, employees of the Union will say where the Irish rights for the games not involving Ireland are. The Irish Rugby media went big on Amazon having the rights, then the Union announced the Irish rights for the Ireland games while being quite pointed about Amazon holding the UK rights.

So, who has the Irish rights? Are they still under negotiation? Are they sold but the announcment is embargoed? Or is there no interest?
The only thing thats certain is that Irish rugby fans, as of this point in time, have no idea where they can watch the remainder of the tournament.
Good job guys.
Could be an Amazon thing. Prime video has a weird relationship with Ireland where it’s available but not officially supported, or something like that.

Came up once when I raised a support request that they said I didn’t have download rights because my address was in Ireland.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I literally had card in hand, willing to pay for an episode of a series I missed, but they declined because it was an irish card.
So I went and got it from somewhere else (That may or may not have been free and or legal).

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I got it free with eir. Not a whole lot on it that I would be interested in. Man in the hig castle. Picard.

Just downloaded a stack of stuff for my week in Wixford though. There is an app.

I will be interested to see what Amazon do in Jan.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

The boys is excellent. Well it's the series that viscerally reflects our times best in its garish, cartoonist, horror.
Some good films too. I'm more likely to watch AZ than Netflix but that's an incredibly low bar. Netflix is absolute shite.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

+1 to the boys. The expanse is also excellent.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote:+1 to the boys. The expanse is also excellent.
Yes, it's about 409 times better than Altered Carbon
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan