RFU reviewing “Swing Low”

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: RFU reviewing “Swing Low”

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote: May 26th, 2022, 7:58 pm Whats the chance of Munster dropping the fields? There were rumours that they were going to replace it with "Zombie" after their almost miracle match a few weeks back.
Maybe someone realised the irony in Munster fans singing about the shambling brain dead masses.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wrong thread
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

FLIP wrote:
blockhead wrote: May 26th, 2022, 7:58 pm Whats the chance of Munster dropping the fields? There were rumours that they were going to replace it with "Zombie" after their almost miracle match a few weeks back.
Maybe someone realised the irony in Munster fans singing about the shambling brain dead masses.
It’s about the Warrington bombing too. I have no idea why they’re so keen on it
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twist wrote: May 27th, 2022, 2:03 pm
FLIP wrote:
Now that I didn't know
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote:
Cos it's by The Cranberries, Limerick's most famous rock band; and also cos their singer, Dolores O'Riordan died tragically at a relatively young age a couple of years back. In other words it's quasi a local anthem.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Big loss by England to the Baa Baa's I am wondering does this pile more pressure on Jones? Surely the boys up-stairs can't be happy with that defeat?
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Not ideal for EJ, but I think they'll probably cut him some slack on this one. Was a bit of an experimental England playing a particular style. The Baa baas team were good, and any international team would have had trouble. Anyone who forgot about Charles Ollivon, will have gotten a reminder just how big and strong that french pack are going to be come worldcup time. Was an entertaining game and I agree with EJ that it should be treated as a celebration of rugby.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Marcus Smith's "flat pass" back inside for the first English try looked forward to me. Is this a thing, that England outhalves simply get a bye from the officials when repeating the same foul play e.g. Smith with his "borderline" forward passes and Faz óg with his equally "borderline" high tackles?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

FLIP wrote:
It is, I'm sure most people don't know but it's and odd one. Then their other song is about mass starvation an deportation from another province so....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Luther Burrell has been frank about the racism he has been subjected by his team-mates. Subjected to devastatingly casual racism by his team-mates who scoffed at him when they were called up by him on it.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RoboProp wrote: June 27th, 2022, 2:08 pm Luther Burrell has been frank about the racism he has been subjected by his team-mates. Subjected to devastatingly casual racism by his team-mates who scoffed at him when they were called up by him on it.
Yeah comments about bananas and fried chicken but hey, it was just banter apparently.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

RoboProp wrote: June 27th, 2022, 2:08 pm Luther Burrell has been frank about the racism he has been subjected by his team-mates. Subjected to devastatingly casual racism by his team-mates who scoffed at him when they were called up by him on it.
There’s still a way to go alright

https://www.the42.ie/luther-burrell-rac ... 8-Jun2022/

A good few lads I went to school with would see nothing wrong with the sort of behaviour listed in the article on the42 they’d say “sure it’s just a bit of craic” and “sure everybody slags each other”. I’ve no problem calling them on it. They can FRO with that shite as far as I’m concerned
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He's right. That wasn't okay 20 years ago.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 27th, 2022, 2:49 pm

A good few lads I went to school with would see nothing wrong with the sort of behaviour listed in the article on the42 they’d say “sure it’s just a bit of craic” and “sure everybody slags each other”. I’ve no problem calling them on it. They can FRO with that shite as far as I’m concerned
I was at an Ireland V England match some years back and I got speaking to an older chap in his boat club blazer over for a jolly; we were queuing up for beer having a bit of a laugh and then I was beyond dumbfounded by what he said when was ordering "give me an N word lager" (he said the actual word, this is how he ordered a Guinness) He turned back to speak to me and I looked him and I said "I can't believe you just said that, and I'm finished talking to you" I then turned my back to him and started chatting with my mates again.
Like you say it does seem to be OK to speak like that amongst a certain set of people
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

+1. A flying **** even!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Tis true OSS. When you boil it all down, everyone is a bit of an oul racist.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: June 27th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Tis true OSS. When you boil it all down, everyone is a bit of an oul racist.
Standing up to racism and bigotry is important Blocky because it actually causes harm. It’s not about piety it’s about doing the right thing.

So there’s that…
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RoboProp wrote: June 27th, 2022, 3:28 pm

I was at an Ireland V England match some years back and I got speaking to an older chap in his boat club blazer over for a jolly; we were queuing up for beer having a bit of a laugh and then I was beyond dumbfounded by what he said when was ordering "give me an N word lager" (he said the actual word, this is how he ordered a Guinness) He turned back to speak to me and I looked him and I said "I can't believe you just said that, and I'm finished talking to you" I then turned my back to him and started chatting with my mates again.
Like you say it does seem to be OK to speak like that amongst a certain set of people
Fair play to you for doing that. Needs to be said. Had the same thing at our game at Northampton a few years ago. We were beating them handily enough and some Saints fan started ranting that he couldn't believe they were being beaten by a bunch of thick Micks. We definitely called the behaviour and to be fair a couple of Saints fans apoligised. Possibly Brexit empowered some of this cr@p.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Brexit has nothing to do with it. As an irishman living in England I've never heard one English person suggest that they wanted brexit because of the effects/implications/damage it does to ireland or the orusj people. English people voted fir brexit cos they were sick of being dictated to by people in Brussels and the amount if money leaving the country and ending up in Eastern Europe whilst many eastern Europeons are living in the u.k, not paying a penny in tax and then claiming every benefit going while they send money back home.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

I've been to games all over the UK and the only nonsense I heard was in Wales when we played thr scarlets who are an awful bunch. English fans are fine. I've been to Franklins Gardens and their fans were top class. Not one comment about irish players and don't forget they have had a few irishmen in their ranks over the years.