RFU reviewing “Swing Low”

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: RFU reviewing “Swing Low”

Post by Twist »

Morf wrote:What have white anglo saxon protestants ever done wrong?
You spake, the RFU heard!

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/051 ... diversity/

I’m a bit surprised by this one to be honest. Unlike Swing Low, I hadn’t heard any complaints about it. Good thing we don’t play in the “Celtic League” anymore
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Twist wrote: May 11th, 2021, 4:12 pm

I’m a bit surprised by this one to be honest. Unlike Swing Low, I hadn’t heard any complaints about it. Good thing we don’t play in the “Celtic League” anymore
Fair enough from the RFU – I think they got ahead of the problem on that one. It was only a matter of time before somebody complained about it and the name is certainly open to misinterpretation. It was a relatively recent exercise in branding and has no heritage or real meaning, so no harm in seeing it consigned to history.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Interesting - will England 'A' now become the capture team for the RFU? Eddie Jones said earlier this year that England A would not be because that was reserved for the Saxons!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I think this is just silly, as the Saxons are an important part of English history and culture. Did the use of the name perhaps make Cornish people or those from the former Danegeld feel excluded? If anything, "Swing Low" should be scrapped, because that is, IMO, a classic and rather crass case of cultural appropriation. The Exeter Chiefs got rid of the "Indian" chant, but they should go the whole hog and get rid of the Indian Chief symbol. They could replace him with a graphic representation of a chief of one of the other Brythonic tribes that used to rule Devon and environs back in the day
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Xanthippe wrote: May 11th, 2021, 5:50 pm

Interesting - will England 'A' now become the capture team for the RFU? Eddie Jones said earlier this year that England A would not be because that was reserved for the Saxons!
I'm a bit of a bleeding heart liberal but the removal of the Saxons title for inclusiveness reasons is ridiculous. Presumably we'll have to reconsider the Wolfhounds naming as it's offensive to Irish Setters?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 12th, 2021, 1:38 pm

I'm a bit of a bleeding heart liberal but the removal of the Saxons title for inclusiveness reasons is ridiculous. Presumably we'll have to reconsider the Wolfhounds naming as it's offensive to excluded Irish Setters?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'm a bit of a bleeding heart liberal but the removal of the Saxons title for inclusiveness reasons is ridiculous. Presumably we'll have to reconsider the Wolfhounds naming as it's offensive to Irish Setters?
And cats
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

At least the wolfhound is Irish.
Leinster might have to consider Leo's position.
Leo the Lion that is. Since a Lion is not an indigenous species of the Leinster area we could be accused of cultural appropriation.
Just sayin.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: May 12th, 2021, 2:53 pm At least the wolfhound is Irish.
Leo the Lion that is. Since a Lion is not an indigenous species of the Leinster area we could be accused of cultural appropriation.
Just sayin.
True. But if Barry Cunliffe, Bob Quinn and others are correct, that the original Irish - Milesians - did sail up from Spain, having previously been in Africa, then maybe our forefathers and -mothers brought the odd pet lion with them fadó, fadó. Princess Scota, for all we know, might have bred lions (though that would be a bit of a problem for Leinster, as she's associated with Munster). The remnants of a barbary ape ar aon nós were found in Newgrange, so who's to say there wasn't the odd lion roaming Laighean back in the day?....
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

riocard911 wrote: May 12th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Just sayin.
True. But if Barry Cunliffe, Bob Quinn and others are correct, that the original Irish - Milesians - did sail up from Spain, having previously been in Africa, then maybe our forefathers and -mothers brought the odd pet lion with them fadó, fadó. Princess Scota, for all we know, might have bred lions (though that would be a bit of a problem for Leinster, as she's associated with Munster). The remnants of a barbary ape ar aon nós were found in Newgrange, so who's to say there wasn't the odd lion roaming Laighean back in the day?....
Sure ultimately we all have our origins in Africa.

Now stop laughing at my dashiki.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I think the most obvious comparison is with the Maori ABs. They go deeper than just a name, you have to actually have your Maori lineage verified before you can play for them. I can just imagine the reaction had England Saxons done that - the bloody Angles would go on about it for years.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If they're going to rename teams and stop singing songs that might cause offence for historical reasons then is it perhaps time to stop using the name "England"?

This post should really be a letter in the IT.

Yours etc
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 12th, 2021, 4:05 pm If they're going to rename teams and stop singing songs that might cause offence for historical reasons then is it perhaps time to stop using the name "England"?

This post should really be a letter in the IT.

Yours etc
if it were a letter in the IT you would get a reply identifying that change will probably happen in other sports first, when the politically correct police insist on dropping the "United" bit, for fear of offending Scottish/Welsh and Irish Independence factions....and "Kingdom" because it is clearly sexist....
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Solution seems fairly obvious from a Leinster perspective at least.
St Patrick banished snakes from Ireland so that presumably means that there were snakes in Ireland once (twice even) upon a time.
Leinster could adopt a new "non de plume" namely "The Rattlers".
The Leinster Rattlers has a nice ring to it and Leo the Rattler doesn't seem like too far a stretch.
Instead of the occasional booing we could do some occasional hissing instead.
QED
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Just sayin.
But he was born in Dublin Zoo. FACT.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

https://stairnaheireann.net/2020/03/20/ ... r-a-3/amp/
The birth of Cairbre, the MGM lion, in Dublin Zoo. He wasn’t African or even Californian, he was a genuine Dub and was named after Cú Chulainn’s charioteer, or a High King of Ireland.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

This has come up again. Maro Itoje will no longer sing it

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/052 ... t-chariot/
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Twist wrote: May 26th, 2022, 7:13 pm This has come up again. Maro Itoje will no longer sing it

He's right too. I remember well the early 80s when visiting English fans on the lash would sing it, with the big joke being the masturbatory hand movements accompanying the word "coming". Surely the English have better songs from their own national canon they could use. Maybe they could ask Brian Moore to find them one, as I know he's not a fan of "Swing low".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote: May 26th, 2022, 7:22 pm
Twist wrote: May 26th, 2022, 7:13 pm This has come up again. Maro Itoje will no longer sing it

He's right too. I remember well the early 80s when visiting English fans on the lash would sing it, with the big joke being the masturbatory hand movements accompanying the word "coming". Surely the English have better songs from their own national canon they could use. Maybe they could ask Brian Moore to find them one, as I know he's not a fan of "Swing low".
Maro can sing what he wants and everyone else can sing what they want, good stuff.

Whats the chance of Munster dropping the fields? There were rumours that they were going to replace it with "Zombie" after their almost miracle match a few weeks back.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Just sayin.
Actually it was invented by an English man thru breeding after the original went extinct.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles