RFU reviewing “Swing Low”

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: RFU reviewing “Swing Low”

Post by FLIP »

heno wrote: July 15th, 2022, 10:28 pm
tigerburnie wrote:I'm a bit English, born in Leicester, with Welsh, Scots and Viking ancestors who voted to stay in the EU, campaigned against us joining in the first place(I was active in politics back then) but am quite happy we have left, even though I knew it would be a disaster for a lot of folk. We have to stick with how the vote went, it's called democracy, something the SNP have no truck with. I'm not shouting for the same team(well unless its for Leicester lol) so I must the subject of all sorts of a witch hunt(hoping for four home nations wins this weekend by the way, yep even the Welsh lol).
So a constituent part voting to leave a larger union (UK leaving the eu) is a fine example of democracy.
But a constituent part wanting to vote to leave a larger union (Scotland leaving the UK) is not?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
They already voted on that though?
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

FLIP wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:05 pm
tigerburnie wrote:I'm a bit English, born in Leicester, with Welsh, Scots and Viking ancestors who voted to stay in the EU, campaigned against us joining in the first place(I was active in politics back then) but am quite happy we have left, even though I knew it would be a disaster for a lot of folk. We have to stick with how the vote went, it's called democracy, something the SNP have no truck with. I'm not shouting for the same team(well unless its for Leicester lol) so I must the subject of all sorts of a witch hunt(hoping for four home nations wins this weekend by the way, yep even the Welsh lol).
So a constituent part voting to leave a larger union (UK leaving the eu) is a fine example of democracy.
But a constituent part wanting to vote to leave a larger union (Scotland leaving the UK) is not?

It’s a funny one though, a huge part of the no to Scottish independence campaign was that they would no longer be in the EU, that’s no longer an issue
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Also, the UK had voted 67-33 to remain in the EU, and you have to stick with how the vote went, its called democracy.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:22 pm
It’s a funny one though, a huge part of the no to Scottish independence campaign was that they would no longer be in the EU, that’s no longer an issue
Yeah, the original project fear was based around a massive FUD campaign about how if Scotland left the union it would no longer be a member of the EU and would have to go through the entire candidacy process from scratch. Considering that, since indyref1, the scots were removed from the EU against their wishes and there is now a fast-track EU membership process in place, there are valid grounds for a second referendum
I have Bumbleflex
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

FLIP wrote: They already voted on that though?
Yes! Because everyone knows true democracy is you only ever vote on anything once and once only. Thats it decided forevermore. Just like we did about abortion, divorce, nice, Lisbon, that one time we decided who was going to be in government forever, and that other time we decided who was going to be president forever...

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:22 pm
FLIP wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:05 pm

Well it is, as they'd remain outside of the EU as Spain would reject a separatist state from joining the EU due to the Catalans.
Dave Cahill wrote: July 15th, 2022, 11:59 pm
Yeah, the original project fear was based around a massive FUD campaign about how if Scotland left the union it would no longer be a member of the EU and would have to go through the entire candidacy process from scratch. Considering that, since indyref1, the scots were removed from the EU against their wishes and there is now a fast-track EU membership process in place, there are valid grounds for a second referendum
There were other issues at hand than that, such as the economic plan which was shown to be unworkable based on expected oil prices not materialising. And as before, EU membership won't be forthcoming.
heno wrote: July 16th, 2022, 12:39 am

Yes! Because everyone knows true democracy is you only ever vote on anything once and once only. Thats it decided forevermore. Just like we did about abortion, divorce, nice, Lisbon, that one time we decided who was going to be in government forever, and that other time we decided who was going to be president forever...

It was state to be a once in a generation vote by both sides.
Anyone But New Zealand
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

A referendum, which the SNP said they would abide by was clear, the people of Scotland want to remain the United Kingdom, it's called democracy, you know the people vote and the politicians listen(well in some sort of utopia they do, the reality is often a long way off).
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

What UK Thinks: EU
@whatukthinks
Latest @YouGov
@thetimes
poll. In hindsight #Brexit right 35 (-3); wrong 53 (+2). Fwork 13-14.7 (ch since 6-7.7). Record low % right & record high % wrong. https://bit.ly/3cmk7Yg
1:01 PM · Jul 15, 2022
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

tigerburnie wrote:

A referendum, which the SNP said they would abide by was clear, the people of Scotland want to remain the United Kingdom, it's called democracy, you know the people vote and the politicians listen(well in some sort of utopia they do, the reality is often a long way off).
So if the problem is that the people are settled on the issue, and the politicians won't let it go, then a 2nd referendum is no problem, it will give the same result. So what's to be afraid of?

tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Nothing to be afraid of, it seems the SNP government are spending tax payers money supposed to be used on helping the people who live in the country, a lot of them in poverty just now due to covid/war in Ukraine, they would rather waste it on another referendum when democracy has already happened, they asked for a vote, got one, lost it and now can't hack the fact they are useless at running a country. Police working to rule and threatening strike action, same with doctors, nurses, train drivers and damn near everyone else who works in the public sector. The majority of Scots don't want another referendum, they want the government to get on with the day job and sort the mess out so we can eat and warm our houses.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

tigerburnie wrote: July 21st, 2022, 11:53 am Nothing to be afraid of, it seems the SNP government are spending tax payers money supposed to be used on helping the people who live in the country, a lot of them in poverty just now due to covid/war in Ukraine, they would rather waste it on another referendum when democracy has already happened, they asked for a vote, got one, lost it and now can't hack the fact they are useless at running a country. Police working to rule and threatening strike action, same with doctors, nurses, train drivers and damn near everyone else who works in the public sector. The majority of Scots don't want another referendum, they want the government to get on with the day job and sort the mess out so we can eat and warm our houses.
The entire idea that democracy happens once is fascinating
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If the majority of Scots don't want a referendum then there's no real danger to having one.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

carlow man wrote: July 8th, 2022, 12:04 pm
the spoofer wrote: July 7th, 2022, 10:36 pm
carlow man wrote: July 7th, 2022, 8:16 pm I know old school. Not my fault if some on here don't like a difference of opinion. I merely stated I voted for brexit and am glad I did. Seems like it's a witch hunt on this site at times and I've noticed it for a while now. I'd rather just talk about rugby in fairness. At least we are all shouting for them same team...or are we?!! Lol!!
I didn’t say you are English. I did say you have taken the soup and that your comments are thinly veiled disgusting racism.
Not they aren't. That's your interpretation. End of. You don't know me so don't start that cr@p.
To be fair you did say that Eastern Europeans were benefit scroungers who sent that money back to Easter Europe whereas the reality is that they are more likely to work and less likely to claim benefits than English people. I had enough of that racist cr@p in the 80's as an emigrant in England, we are better than that.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

paddyor wrote: July 16th, 2022, 8:29 pm
What UK Thinks: EU
@whatukthinks
Latest @YouGov
@thetimes
poll. In hindsight #Brexit right 35 (-3); wrong 53 (+2). Fwork 13-14.7 (ch since 6-7.7). Record low % right & record high % wrong. https://bit.ly/3cmk7Yg
1:01 PM · Jul 15, 2022
Too late now, the UK and the EU have moved on. I looked from the outside wondering what in God's name the Brits thought they were up to but they voted on it and there was a mountain of information out there. Meanwhile our GDP per capita is twice that of the UK, visiting there now it really does feel like the decline and fall of an empire and some of the anti-foreigner commentary is alarming to read and hear. Hope I'm wrong, it was their choice and they are our closest neighbours and big trading partners so it's in our interests that it works for them.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us