Ireland v. Italy - Sat 07 March 14.15

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Ireland v. Italy - Sat 07 March 14.15

Post by FLIP »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Was this a political headline-chasing exercise without adequate thought?
Do bears sh!t in the woods?
Anyone But New Zealand
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:With some time for cold logical thought, the Government announcement of the postponement of this match may be a bad decision. A far more logical solution would have been to announce the cancellation of all flights from Italy. The key is that this will be a postponement and not a cancellation of the fixture and this has significant insurance implications.

If Italian fans decide to keep their plans to travel to Ireland, having probably already spent €750- €1,500 already on flights, hotels and match tickets, quite often without any insurance, this will present an equivalent risk to the spread of Covid 19.

Medical logic suggests that groups of Italian fans in pubs and hotels around Dublin are every bit as dangerous a threat in spreading any virus as those gathered in an open-air stadium with low ambient temperatures.

Was this a political headline-chasing exercise without adequate thought?
Excellent post. On all angles.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Last comment on this topic, the Ancient Roman leaders ultimately learned that cancelling the Circus was only the last option.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Was this a political headline-chasing exercise without adequate thought?
Do bears sh!t in the woods?
More likely ass covering. In the context of the Italy game letting 50k people gather in one tight space would be seen as an unnecessary risk/gamble.
Regardless of how the VIRUS gets here the opposition are going to make hay so why load the gun for them.
As an aside I doubt we'll see any kind of government formed until post VIRUS, it's just another accident waiting to happen to the incumbents.
No matter what they do or don't do they're going to be wrong.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:IRFU have almost certainly asked for meeting with Minister for Health in order to get a precise reason for cancellation of the game - related directly to multiple insurance claims by a wide variety of parties, including Italian fans.

It would have been far more sensible if Harris had made contact with the IRFU before he raced to the media for the 6.01 News last night. A phone call or meeting with Philip Browne would have resulted in a carefully worded statement which covered cancellation and optimised Insurance Claims.
I don't disagree but I wonder if it was caused by Shane Ross losing his seat? Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine it's business as usual for him until a new government is formed. So his role might be falling through the cracks right now...not that that's much different to when he was in situ of course.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:IRFU have almost certainly asked for meeting with Minister for Health in order to get a precise reason for cancellation of the game - related directly to multiple insurance claims by a wide variety of parties, including Italian fans.

It would have been far more sensible if Harris had made contact with the IRFU before he raced to the media for the 6.01 News last night. A phone call or meeting with Philip Browne would have resulted in a carefully worded statement which covered cancellation and optimised Insurance Claims.
I don't disagree but I wonder if it was caused by Shane Ross losing his seat? Maybe I'm wrong but I can't imagine it's business as usual for him until a new government is formed. So his role might be falling through the cracks right now...not that that's much different to when he was in situ of course.
I'd like to congratulate Willie le Roux on an excellent post here.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Men, women and u20 matches v Italy have been officially postponed.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

But no travel prohibitions in place.

Windows successfully dressed, deckchairs rearranged. No need to look out for icebergs
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Twist wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

I'd like to congratulate Willie le Roux on an excellent post here.
:lol:
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

limecat wrote:Men, women and u20 matches v Italy have been officially postponed.
For f*cksake, what the hell am I supposed to do that weekend now? Simple solution would be not let any fans travel
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

What a way to ruin the tournament
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Where does it say that the u20 game is cancelled?
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Pilotman123 wrote:
limecat wrote:Men, women and u20 matches v Italy have been officially postponed.
Simple solution would be not let any fans travel
how would you do that? (not trying to be a smartarse, I genuinely cannot see how that could be achieved other than relying on voluntary compliance)

I bet the IRFU are relieved it is not called off completely. we usually have 5 maybe 6 home games each year...a full house is worth EUR3m-4m to Irish Rugby.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:But no travel prohibitions in place.

Windows successfully dressed, deckchairs rearranged. No need to look out for icebergs
I was originialy of this opinion, but it's been pointed out online that the problem is actually the mass gathering for a sporting event. Travel for F&M disease wasn't cancelled.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Serie A is still going ahead btw. My Italian neighbour just back from a skiing holiday in Trentino says the skuttlebutt in Italy is that it's not actually that bad. Public servants are making a big deal of it for a two week break :lol:
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

paddyor wrote:Serie A is still going ahead btw. My Italian neighbour just back from a skiing holiday in Trentino says the skuttlebutt in Italy is that it's not actually that bad. Public servants are making a big deal of it for a two week break :lol:
Brilliant idea, lets do that
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

paddyor wrote:Serie A is still going ahead btw. My Italian neighbour just back from a skiing holiday in Trentino says the skuttlebutt in Italy is that it's not actually that bad. Public servants are making a big deal of it for a two week break :lol:
But aren't they saying they'll play games with no crowds up north? I thought that rather than postpone games they were planning on holding thembehind closed doors
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Rescheduling this is going to be a logistical nightmare for the IRFU and 6 nations inc. Add to the mix the fact that some Euro 2020 matches are being played at the Aviva. I recall reading a while back when a major tournament is being played at a particular stadium, the governing body in this case UEFA seeks to gain control of the ground a good 6 weeks in advance.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

John23 wrote:Rescheduling this is going to be a logistical nightmare for the IRFU and 6 nations inc. Add to the mix the fact that some Euro 2020 matches are being played at the Aviva. I recall reading a while back when a major tournament is being played at a particular stadium, the governing body in this case UEFA seeks to gain control of the ground a good 6 weeks in advance.
It's a bigger problem for the Pro14.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Are we allowed to restrict travel within the EU? Can we actually tell any EU citizens that they cannot holiday here?