England v Ireland 2020 6N 23-FEB Father vs Son

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

locho
Bookworm

Re: England v Ireland 2020 6N 23-FEB Father vs Son

Post by locho »

I saw that as well as Bono that POC visited the team during the week. Got me thinking as to the value of having such a recently retired player (finished a little over 4 years ago) brought back in for a motivational speech? At least 50% of that squad have played with POC. Does it slightly undermine the likes of POM and JS and their leadership role?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

locho wrote:I saw that as well as Bono that POC visited the team during the week. Got me thinking as to the value of having such a recently retired player (finished a little over 4 years ago) brought back in for a motivational speech? At least 50% of that squad have played with POC. Does it slightly undermine the likes of POM and JS and their leadership role?
How do you know POC was brought in for a motivational speech?

Doesn't sound like that was the case at all - https://www.the42.ie/paul-oconnell-irel ... 1-Feb2020/

I think it can only be a positive thing to bring in a fresh voice as a sounding board, particularly as he's such a legend.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

wixfjord wrote:
locho wrote:I saw that as well as Bono that POC visited the team during the week. Got me thinking as to the value of having such a recently retired player (finished a little over 4 years ago) brought back in for a motivational speech? At least 50% of that squad have played with POC. Does it slightly undermine the likes of POM and JS and their leadership role?

Doesn't sound like that was the case at all - https://www.the42.ie/paul-oconnell-irel ... 1-Feb2020/

I think it can only be a positive thing to bring in a fresh voice as a sounding board, particularly as he's such a legend.
Ye i literally read that article about 10mins after I posted, so i will retract. My comment was based on the reports yesterday which spoke about Bono coming in "for a chat" and as an aside mentioned POC was there too, so assumed from that he was there in a similar capacity as opposed to the whole week.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

locho wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

Ye i literally read that article about 10mins after I posted, so i will retract. My comment was based on the reports yesterday which spoke about Bono coming in "for a chat" and as an aside mentioned POC was there too, so assumed from that he was there in a similar capacity as opposed to the whole week.
One ex player that would be ideal for this match and venue would be Brian Moore.
Not sure if he and Farrell ever played together.
D. Ryan would be a great shout for the French games when he retires.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

brian moores rugby podcast isn't bad. you tried it? He had POC on this week.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:brian moores rugby podcast isn't bad. you tried it? He had POC on this week.
Always think hes okay and talks sense, but the other guys that join him don't add much to it that you wouldn't see on BBC coverage. No real analysis.

The Ruck have a special edition of BOD talking about the Grand Slam. Two weeks or so ago. Enjoyed it.
Joe's House of Rugby (the UK version) have Sean O'Brien chatting away and telling some good stories as well this week. I laughed out loud a few times. Both also worth a listen.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

England will be a tough ask at home for anyone, I know you have won there a few times in recent memory but it's still a huge ask

If tulagi plays he brings a lot to that English midfield and if he and slade are fit, I think well see ford dropped and Farrell to 10

Their 15 looks very dodgy and if sexton and murray bring their best kicking game you can really target him and may in the English back 3

Quite why England are moving curry from the flank and leaving that big quins 8 out is a mystery to me , but if they continue to do so it will be a big boost for you

I have a feeling England will win a close game by around the 5 points mark but I wish you well, no complaints about the game the other week the best side won
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Joseph on the wing; Eddie persisting with the backrow; Marler starts ahead of Genge; Youngs back in. There's big cracks there that Ireland can target.

England: 15 Elliot Daly, 14 Jonny May, 13 Manu Tuilagi, 12 Owen Farrell (c), 11 Jonathan Joseph, 10 George Ford, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Tom Curry, 7 Sam Underhill, 6 Courtney Lawes, 5 George Kruis, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Kyle Sinckler, 2 Jamie George, 1 Joe Marler
Replacements: 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Ellis Genge, 18 Will Stuart, 19 Joe Launchbury, 20 Charlie Ewels, 21 Ben Earl, 22 Willi Heinz, 23 Henry Slade
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

jimbobjoe wrote:Joseph on the wing; Eddie persisting with the backrow; Marler starts ahead of Genge; Youngs back in. There's big cracks there that Ireland can target.

England: 15 Elliot Daly, 14 Jonny May, 13 Manu Tuilagi, 12 Owen Farrell (c), 11 Jonathan Joseph, 10 George Ford, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Tom Curry, 7 Sam Underhill, 6 Courtney Lawes, 5 George Kruis, 4 Maro Itoje, 3 Kyle Sinckler, 2 Jamie George, 1 Joe Marler
Replacements: 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Ellis Genge, 18 Will Stuart, 19 Joe Launchbury, 20 Charlie Ewels, 21 Ben Earl, 22 Willi Heinz, 23 Henry Slade
You should box kick to joseph and may all day long especially if it is a swirling gusty wind, I thought Conway was brilliant in the air vs us

Jones is being stubborn to the point of stupidity with his back row picks,
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

JB1973 wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Joseph on the wing; Eddie persisting with the backrow; Marler starts ahead of Genge; Youngs back in. There's big cracks there that Ireland can target.

You should box kick to joseph and may all day long especially if it is a swirling gusty wind, I thought Conway was brilliant in the air vs us

Jones is being stubborn to the point of stupidity with his back row picks,
Definitely to Joseph but I'd be wary of May as he's the spark in that backline and can make something from nothing if the mood takes him. Youngs and Ford should be heavily pressured to nullify outside threat although I'm expecting them to be better prepared for that on Sunday.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Iain Henderson out due to family reasons. Dev in. Dillane on the bench.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Would love to see Dev have a stormer to put the RWC decision behind him.

HON DEV!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

John23 wrote:Iain Henderson out due to family reasons. Dev in. Dillane on the bench.
baby on the way for hendo.

whats the bets tuilagi pulls out after the captains run?
can't see him being fully fit.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
John23 wrote:Iain Henderson out due to family reasons. Dev in. Dillane on the bench.

With Joseph to centre and it was all a ruse? Seems very Eddie
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

TerenureJim wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

With Joseph to centre and it was all a ruse? Seems very Eddie
Yep. Well, I think it is. he is their main threat for punching holes in the Irish defensive line without the vinupolas. either way I expect the first 20 mins to be intense. brutal even.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

They are playing without the Vunipolas, multiple players playing out of position, centers that are coming back from injuries and a Courtney Lawes thats doing the best one eyed willy impression Ive ever seen. In truth, we'll never have a better chance to beat them. We really should be winning this one.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Experimental wrote:They are playing without the Vunipolas, multiple players playing out of position, centers that are coming back from injuries and a Courtney Lawes thats doing the best one eyed willy impression Ive ever seen. In truth, we'll never have a better chance to beat them. We really should be winning this one.
(am in london) Manky weather. very wet & windy and blustery. perfect weather for us to bombard Joseph on the wing - he is normally a centre I think - and Daly at the back who was a great winger but not a great FB.
I tend to agree, the stars are aligned for us with the Vinupolas out and the odd position selection. Great chance to sneak it or at worse come away with a LBP and no injuries.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm not saying Joe would have forced Henderson to leave his wife and child but I like the fact that we haven't been so fixated on needing a player to play that we waited until the last second to make a call etc, reckon he'd have played if Joe was the coach. It's exactly the kind of thing I was saying about wanting to be a bit more flexible in order to prepare for a World Cup. sh!t happens and you've got to roll with it. He's a big loss though, no doubt about it.

I predict that no matter what kind of performance we put in Peyper will whistle us off the park with some bizarre decisions and the media will be questioning Johnny's captaincy after he loses the rag with him.

A nice positive message before the big game :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Will the England bulldozer beat the Ireland tractor.
Caterpillar v Massey Ferguson
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Will the England bulldozer beat the Ireland tractor.
Caterpillar v Massey Ferguson
Or Juggernaut v Panzer
Purely rhetorical questions btw
Last edited by Oldschool on February 23rd, 2020, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.