England v Ireland 2020 6N 23-FEB Father vs Son

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: England v Ireland 2020 6N 23-FEB Father vs Son

Post by Twist »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Peyper is super lax with regards to rough-housing. You can get away with murder in that regard when he is refereeing.
didn't he ref the ABs game in dublin after we beat them in chicago? It was a vicious game that.
That was the day that really turned me against him. He was warming up and having the chatz with NZ before that match. He's happy to stand back and kinda half smile when players are being polaxed in front of him, but he hadn't the nerve to award a penalty try against NZ himself.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I get that it's open to interpretation but I thought he could have carded an England player for a high tackle when we made a break towards the far corner late on. Can't remember which players were involved. We weren't certain to get in but it was very cynical and they'd already given away loads of penalties.

Just thought of another very bad moment for Ireland when we didn't seem to know the call for a lineout and Doris had to be called in from midfield to join it.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

[
RE: Kearney, I think the point there is:
A) Kearney would have been in the correct position to shepherd/catch the ball
2) He'd have called the mark after catching the ball in his 22 and allowed for a proper clearance rather than Murray's very sh!t clearance that put us under the pump in the first place with the auld, two quick passes away from an incident of stupidity.[/quote]

Out of curio if leinster had a European cup final tomorrow and a fully fit squad, who would get the nod at 15?
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

JB1973 wrote:Out of curio if leinster had a European cup final tomorrow and a fully fit squad, who would get the nod at 15?
Larmour 100%.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

JB1973 wrote: Out of curio if leinster had a European cup final tomorrow and a fully fit squad, who would get the nod at 15?
Probably Larmour.

If we had a final in a couple of weeks time and in the interim he continued to play like he did yesterday? Kearney.
I have Bumbleflex
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I might need a second viewing but I'll offer some observations..

England picked a side built to defend and bully. They were not stacked with ball carriers and didn't have loads of possession but looked to feed off our mistakes which they did.

Once again everything was too predictable. The players started to take the safe option - after the bad start - which is also the predictable option and it became a viscous circle. England's tails were up and knew ireland were rattled. Easily rattled if we're being honest.
Cool heads are needed.

It's hard for the pack to carry when they're being hit by 2 English forwards a split second after receiving the ball. Not that they had a great game anyway but for all the talk about the front 5, if the backs done anything at all then they would have had a bit more space to operate.

On the positive, I thought the subs made an impact. It's just a pity the match wasn't a bit closer. The defence was solid too. The kicks in behind were well covered but if individuals are making mistakes..

So to sum up, Ireland made England look better than they were. Too predictable and too many mistakes.
Same as 2019. Most of the same coaching team, same players, same performances.

While I don't see the point in making massive changes, I think the squad needs freshening up NOW. How many below par performances are they going to tolerate. Now we'll see what Farrell is made of.

And as for Peyper. Himself and Gardiner are the worst refs you want to see if you're the away team.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

oops, double post
Last edited by Logorrhea on February 24th, 2020, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dave Cahill wrote:Probably Larmour.
If we had a final in a couple of weeks time and in the interim he continued to play like he did yesterday? Kearney.
He wouldn't be as exposed with Leinster. H'ed have at least one winger to help fill the space.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Logorrhea wrote:
He wouldn't be as exposed with Leinster. H'ed have at least one winger to help fill the space.
You can say that again
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Genge’s scrummaging was so ridiculously illegal. We got one scrum penalty out of it but had two against us despite Genge being on the same angle for all 3. Marler also came hard on the angle in 1 scrum. It is so clear from the overhead cameras so why isn’t the TMO calling it?

The sport is losing ground. Too many rules but WorldRugby won’t allow the rules to be properly applied in pro-rugby as the tv audiences wouldn’t accept it. Then it becomes a farce as rules are ignored and players and supporters and viewers don’t know what to expect match to match or even during matches.

The offside line and sealing off and side entry are just ruining the sport.

These days I rarely watch matches my teams aren’t playing in (Wales vs France was a rare gem) and I can see a day when I won’t watch matches at all. Too brutal, too much downtime (scrums, referee lectures), too much non-application & uncertainty re laws (what has happened offside in a maul?).

If you go to games the atmosphere is usually cr@p and then you have to stand and sit 20+ times for the drinkers/ toilet crew and listening to people around you talking about anything but the game.

Now the Private Capital financière are going to start messing around with the golden goose.

I have enjoyed rugby with a passion for 45 years but the tide is slowly going out for me.

I didn’t feel that much better after the two 6N wins btw.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

backrower8 wrote: If you go to games the atmosphere is usually cr@p and then you have to stand and sit 20+ times for the drinkers/ toilet crew and listening to people around you talking about anything but the game.
The Millenium Stadium/Principality Stadium recently introduced an Alcohol Free Zone [4200 seats in the North Stand]. Interesting idea. I know a lot of people complain about getting up and down for other spectators going to bars. Sometimes it bothers me, most of the time it doesn't.

I wouldn't have an issue with no booze [bar hip flasks!] in the stands, I have to say.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Morf wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:In playing rugby at the top level, it takes a massive exercise in humility to acknowledge that your team are unlikely to win the majority of collisions and to plan your tactics accordingly. However, IMO, Ireland for a lot of the professional era, whilst prepared to adopt this outlook when playing SA, have never been prepared to accept this reality against some of the strong English teams we have faced in this century.

Everybody understands that bowing the knee to the English is just not part of our national DNA. However, starting with a premise that the particular team we are facing at any given time is physically stronger and, sometimes, better able to overcome us in particular facets of the game should compel us to figure out tactical alternatives to setting up our team to being knocking back in the vast majority of face-to-face encounters we are likely to experience, particularly in the opening salvos of a game contesting a trophy.
Look deeply at Matt and let him summarise

Ireland brought a knife to a gunfight . . .
Quoteish from The Untouchables" however James Coburn showed just how effective a knife can be in a gunfight in "Quiz Time for the Oldies" what film?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Magnificent Seven
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

backrower8 wrote:Magnificent Seven
Well done sir.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

:happy clapper: washkaboomy!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

backrower8 wrote:Magnificent Seven
We could have done with them behind our pack yesterday!
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on February 25th, 2020, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I watched Against The Head tonight. They highlighted the English rush defence but the amount of space they left behind was massive. It was crying out for a few chips over the defence. I can't remember them trying it once
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

backrower8 wrote:Genge’s scrummaging was so ridiculously illegal. We got one scrum penalty out of it but had two against us despite Genge being on the same angle for all 3. Marler also came hard on the angle in 1 scrum. It is so clear from the overhead cameras so why isn’t the TMO calling it?

The sport is losing ground. Too many rules but WorldRugby won’t allow the rules to be properly applied in pro-rugby as the tv audiences wouldn’t accept it. Then it becomes a farce as rules are ignored and players and supporters and viewers don’t know what to expect match to match or even during matches.

The offside line and sealing off and side entry are just ruining the sport.

These days I rarely watch matches my teams aren’t playing in (Wales vs France was a rare gem) and I can see a day when I won’t watch matches at all. Too brutal, too much downtime (scrums, referee lectures), too much non-application & uncertainty re laws (what has happened offside in a maul?).

If you go to games the atmosphere is usually cr@p and then you have to stand and sit 20+ times for the drinkers/ toilet crew and listening to people around you talking about anything but the game.

Now the Private Capital financière are going to start messing around with the golden goose.

I have enjoyed rugby with a passion for 45 years but the tide is slowly going out for me.

I didn’t feel that much better after the two 6N wins btw.
Yes, Genge's scrummaging was ridiculously illegal. Maybe stick a camera over the scrum and get the TMO to view. Agree on the offside line too. It's not the law that's the problem it's the application. Our last game against the Cheetahs was a case in point, they weren't even trying. What on earth is the TJ looking at???
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

The Doc wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:
You can say that again
To be fair to Jordan he made 138 meters and 2 clean breaks vs Scotland and vs Wales made 3 clean breaks and more ground than Halfpenny, North and Adams combined. Not really his fault that our half backs were as poor as they've ever been and that our backrow was beaten off the park. Doris was our backrow leading ground maker and we conceded 15 turnovers, they absolutely murdered us in the backrow. In those circumstances it's pretty hard to operate. Jordan has clearly gone past Rob for both club and country in my opinion.

Let's of questions about the blend in our backrow though.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Flash Gordon wrote:Doris was our backrow leading ground maker
Just had a look there. Doris made more metres than any forward from either team! 19 metres from 6 carries (CJ made 17 metres from 18 carries).
3rd among the Irish forwards was Kelleher with 8 metres from 3 carries.
I know it was against tiring bodies, and with the game already lost, but that's pretty impressive from the young lads.