RWC 2023 Pool Draw

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: RWC 2023 Pool Draw

Post by dropkick »

kUD wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 1:55 am Seems that quite often a team that has NZ in the pool stages gets to the final, so I'd actually quite like us to draw NZ, play them first up and irrespective of the result avoid them in the QF.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That's because they get a favourable schedule. For instance in the last 2 world cups, NZ played their big match early. Therefore their opponents, Argentina and SA had the rest of the group stages to prepare for the quarter final.

Argentina met an Ireland side who just played Italy and a bruising encounter with France while South Africa met Japan who played a very tiring game against Scotland and looked tired against SA.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: RWC 2023 Pool Draw

Post by neiliog93 »

I don't think it makes any difference. There's an argument that we might be better off getting battle-hardened in the pool stages (even if there's a few injuries) with an inevitable tough quarter-final in mind.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!