RWC 2023 Pool Draw

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

RWC 2023 Pool Draw

Post by neill_m »

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 98113?s=20

2023 pool draw happening after the AIs this year.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: RWC 2023 Pool Draw

Post by Twist »

Yeah I mentioned his on another thread. Was 2 years not ridiculous enough?

It actually makes the seedings less important, because there's so much scope for changes in form over three years. The team you draw in 2020 will be very different to the team you face in 2023.

While I'm ranting away about the RWC, this is on the wikipaedia page for France 2023; "It will be the second time France has hosted the Rugby World Cup, having previously hosted the 2007 event. It is a warm-up for the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris and will take place less than a year before the Olympic opening ceremony."

Does this not piss World Rugby off, having their showpiece event reduced to the status of a warm-up event? I know it's only wikipaedia I'm quoting but that's very much how it's being treated (for the second time in a row). I really think the tournament would've been better served by being here. The use of Jonah Lomu's kids to promote their bid was undignified, to say the least.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

It's ridiculous that the draw is taking place this early with the seedings being assigned after the November games.

Does anyone know why this is? Surely 2 years out would be plenty of time for any commercial/logistical reasons.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

locho wrote:It's ridiculous that the draw is taking place this early with the seedings being assigned after the November games.

Does anyone know why this is? Surely 2 years out would be plenty of time for any commercial/logistical reasons.
It is for ticket selling reasons according to the press release.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

fourthirtythree wrote:
locho wrote:It's ridiculous that the draw is taking place this early with the seedings being assigned after the November games.

It is for ticket selling reasons according to the press release.
The more conspiracy theory minded could see it as World Rugby working to give France a good ranking, seeing as they tend to do well in the 6N after a world cup.
Anyone But New Zealand
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

We need to beat Wales for a start....
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Saw this comment by BMJF on the 42:
Except to be a band 1 team we’d have to displace one of NZ, SA, ENG or Wales and if we did that we’d face the prospect of having that displaced team in our group along side other tough band 2 opponents like Australia, France and Japan. So really it makes like or no difference as we saw in Japan. What matters more is the 1/4 final draw, which was shockingly unkind to us. The only benefit of being tier 1 is you avoid SA or NZ in your group but then do you not then actually increase your chances of meeting one of them in the 1/4!! You know what being in top 8 is all that matters :-)
That pretty much sums up my views on it. SA have won three out of seven World Cups they've entered and NZ two of the last three. Getting a draw that allows avoiding them in the quarters would be a good start. Beyond that, I'm not sure there's much to be said.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

What's interesting is that Japan are ranked 8th at the moment. If they don't maintain the level they were at last year, there's the chance of one very weak group and two groups of death next time.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

We basically need to be in the same seeding group as France and to avoid their half of the draw.
The first is, possibly in our own control given how near the draw is scheduled to be.
The second is in the hands of the gods.
Start praying.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Avoiding a strong 3rd seed like Argentina is highly desirable, but it can’t be controlled at all
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Has it ever made a difference to us?

QF and out. last time round we were all hoping for SA but got NZ :D
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Draw is almost immaterial unless SA & NZ in same Pool.

We had ideal draw in 2011 and did everything right until the QF against Wales - absolutely the chance that got away.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Draw is almost immaterial unless SA & NZ in same Pool.

We had ideal draw in 2011 and did everything right until the QF against Wales - absolutely the chance that got away.
The Pool draw was equally kind to us in 2015 the biggest issue there was the amount of effort it took us to get over France the week before the QF, and losing 6 key players through injury/suspension had a major impact on our ability to replicate the same intensity the following week.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

locho wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Draw is almost immaterial unless SA & NZ in same Pool.

The Pool draw was equally kind to us in 2015 the biggest issue there was the amount of effort it took us to get over France the week before the QF, and losing 6 key players through injury/suspension had a major impact on our ability to replicate the same intensity the following week.
Yeah I think we shot ourselves in the foot n 2011, but misfortune took a shotgun to our feet in 2015. I don't attach any blame to Joe for losing that match.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

So, when we thought they were using the standings from after the autumn internationals we all thought it was a bit stupid to use rankings from so far ahead of the tournament. Now they've gone and decided to use the rankings as they were on January 1st!!!

We've been shafted in favour of Wales - we are now 2nd seeds and Wales are 1st :evil:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 4:13 pm So, when we thought they were using the standings from after the autumn internationals we all thought it was a bit stupid to use rankings from so far ahead of the tournament. Now they've gone and decided to use the rankings as they were on January 1st!!!

We've been shafted in favour of Wales - we are now 2nd seeds and Wales are 1st :evil:
Big plus.
France are 2nd seeds too and as hosts a group to be avoided.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ExiledEdinburgh
Beginner

Post by ExiledEdinburgh »

So theoretical group of death NZ & Scotland/Argentina.
Group of life Wales & Italy.

However what’s almost more important is not being drawn beside France’ group.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

My heart is offically broken with Irish rugby after the last world cup. Seedings be damned!
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

edit, last *four world cups. Sigh
kUD
Beginner

Post by kUD »

Seems that quite often a team that has NZ in the pool stages gets to the final, so I'd actually quite like us to draw NZ, play them first up and irrespective of the result avoid them in the QF.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk