Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not convinced our backrow will have the ability to win the battle for ball at the breakdown. We've definitely improved the ball-carrying capacity but that's only one side of the game.

Scottish scrum will be solid. Their line-out has been efficient. Their mid-field carries plenty of threat and their back-three have Hogg as the X-factor and two wingers who can take chances.

We bullied their pack totally at RWC19 and many forget the quality of that performance under Schmidt in what we thought was going to be the key Pool game in the World Cup. But Townsend is no fool and is capable of springing a surprise.

This is a game with high expectations of being a comfortable win for Ireland, with the sole media focus being on the quality and variety of our attack. For me the major focus should be on our defence and how we are going to pressure their half-backs in order to control the game.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Not convinced our backrow will have the ability to win the battle for ball at the breakdown. We've definitely improved the ball-carrying capacity but that's only one side of the game.

Scottish scrum will be solid. Their line-out has been efficient. Their mid-field carries plenty of threat and their back-three have Hogg as the X-factor and two wingers who can take chances.

We bullied their pack totally at RWC19 and many forget the quality of that performance under Schmidt in what we thought was going to be the key Pool game in the World Cup. But Townsend is no fool and is capable of springing a surprise.

This is a game with high expectations of being a comfortable win for Ireland, with the sole media focus being on the quality and variety of our attack. For me the major focus should be on our defence and how we are going to pressure their half-backs in order to control the game.
A timely and fitting warning particular given our own concerns at HB.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Not convinced our backrow will have the ability to win the battle for ball at the breakdown.
What's this based on?

Doris is very good in this area (one of the leading turnover merchants in Pro14), Scotland will also be down Barclay from the RWC game and in that game we won 97% of our rucks.

Scotland are capable of springing a surprise (albeit that has dimmed without Russell) but let's not over hype them either.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Stander and Doris would probably be better on the deck than Ruddock and Conan respectively, so the named backrow is likely better at the breakdown than the Leinster trio of Ruddock, JvdF, Doris or an Ireland backrow of Stander, van der Flier and Conan (if they've ever played together before).
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

" Aki has won a whopping 10 jackal turnovers this season, more than any other player in Ireland’s squad." https://www.the42.ie/ireland-six-nation ... 5-Jan2020/ he also has the best tackle success of the centres.
That could be a tipping point in his favour for picking him. I'd also see Murray starting as being a more defensive pick and less likely to turn the ball over - Scotland love turnover ball. In that sense the selection doesn't reek of complacency to me, it has an element of conservatism and containment recognising Scottish threat.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

fourthirtythree wrote:" Aki has won a whopping 10 jackal turnovers this season, more than any other player in Ireland’s squad." https://www.the42.ie/ireland-six-nation ... 5-Jan2020/ he also has the best tackle success of the centres.
That could be a tipping point in his favour for picking him. I'd also see Murray starting as being a more defensive pick and less likely to turn the ball over - Scotland love turnover ball. In that sense the selection doesn't reek of complacency to me, it has an element of conservatism and containment recognising Scottish threat.
Aki is a great player but he does tend to give penalties away, yellows and didn't he get a red recently for ireland...during the world cup\warm ups?

Not saying he shouldn't be in the starting 15 but it might be prescient to give him a laptop with footage of the refs previous games and how he rules the breakdown. Some refs let some things go, like in-from-the-side or other. Being armed with knowledge on how the ref for our 6N games tends to rule the breakdown would be good.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

fourthirtythree wrote:" Aki has won a whopping 10 jackal turnovers this season, more than any other player in Ireland’s squad." https://www.the42.ie/ireland-six-nation ... 5-Jan2020/ he also has the best tackle success of the centres.
Fair point and may certainly be relevant to Aki's selection ahead of Henshaw. It certainly isn't for his distribution.

Watson is the Scottish back-row I fear most and Bradbury is becoming a very physical No 8, if selected.

I don't fear Scotland but we must respect them and earn the right to beat them. That will not come unless our pack control all aspects of the game. Entertaining with off-loads is not the way to beat Scotland this year.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Surprised at some of the Scottish selections - but then so will be many Edinburgh players & fans. It reads like a Glasgow Select XV (with some guest appearances). May keep some of the Media warriors happy.

Haining in the back-row will be a new face for our lads but he's a very physical player by all accounts. We should be attacking Sutherland at LHP and their half-backs with ball in hand.

Bring it on. Game to be won in final quarter.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Scottish team;

15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter, capt)
14. Sean Maitland (Saracens)
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow)
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow)
11. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)
10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow)
9. Ali Price (Glasgow)

1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh)
2. Fraser Brown (Glasgow)
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow)
4. Scott Cummings (Glasgow)
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow)
6. James Ritchie (Edinburgh)
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh)
8. Nick Haining (Edinburgh)

Reps:
16. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh)
17. Allan Dell (London Irish)
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh)
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh)
20. Cornell du Preez (Worcester)
21. George Horne (Glasgow)
22. Rory Hutchinson (Northampton)
23. Chris Harris (Gloucester)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Twist wrote:Scottish team;

15. Stuart Hogg (Exeter, capt)
14. Sean Maitland (Saracens)
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow)
12. Sam Johnson (Glasgow)
11. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)
10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow)
9. Ali Price (Glasgow)

1. Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh)
2. Fraser Brown (Glasgow)
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow)
4. Scott Cummings (Glasgow)
5. Jonny Gray (Glasgow)
6. James Ritchie (Edinburgh)
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh)
8. Nick Haining (Edinburgh)

Reps:
16. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh)
17. Allan Dell (London Irish)
18. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh)
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh)
20. Cornell du Preez (Worcester)
21. George Horne (Glasgow)
22. Rory Hutchinson (Northampton)
23. Chris Harris (Gloucester)
Leinster exposed the defending of those Scottish centres, especially Huw Jones, a couple of months ago. I'd expect Ireland to do the same.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Im not sure why Henshaw is on the bench. Obviously he covers both centre positions, but with an injury in the back three we’re in trouble. Is Ringrose our wing cover?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Twist wrote:Im not sure why Henshaw is on the bench. Obviously he covers both centre positions, but with an injury in the back three we’re in trouble. Is Ringrose our wing cover?
Ringrose is good wing cover. And we get strong players in the 23.

In the alternative scenario with Addison or D Kearney then we have cover at centre with Larmour moving, but we arent any better off.

Stockdale and Conway are only coming off if they are hurt anyway.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

ronk wrote:
Twist wrote:Im not sure why Henshaw is on the bench. Obviously he covers both centre positions, but with an injury in the back three we’re in trouble. Is Ringrose our wing cover?
Ringrose is good wing cover. And we get strong players in the 23.

In the alternative scenario with Addison or D Kearney then we have cover at centre with Larmour moving, but we arent any better off.

Stockdale and Conway are only coming off if they are hurt anyway.
Addison covers center better than any of the others cover full back.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

2 possessions in first 5 mins. Murray kicks both away - badly. Hopefully not signs of things to come..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Referees not understanding scrums and physics non shocker
Anyone But New Zealand
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Gutted for Doris. Hopefully he get another chance soon

BOD is GOD!
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

desperado wrote:2 possessions in first 5 mins. Murray kicks both away - badly. Hopefully not signs of things to come..

Yep and another one!

I hope farrel is prepared to make changes.

BOD is GOD!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dangerous tackle on Stockdale completely ignored
Anyone But New Zealand
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »