Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Post by fourthirtythree »

hugonaut wrote:asking for them to be banned is only going to help teams against whom we will be competing.
That would be my thinking. If they get away with head high hits on us, it's not our job to police them for everyone else's benefit.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

fourthirtythree wrote:
hugonaut wrote:asking for them to be banned is only going to help teams against whom we will be competing.
That would be my thinking. If they get away with head high hits on us, it's not our job to police them for everyone else's benefit.
The issue with that is that it invites such behaviour onto us, as it isn't penalised. If other teams can get away with it, why wouldn't they?

Same with not offering negative feedback on referees. Wales and New Zealand over the years have gotten very preferential behaviour because they complain.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

FLIP wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
The issue with that is that it invites such behaviour onto us, as it isn't penalised. If other teams can get away with it, why wouldn't they?

Same with not offering negative feedback on referees. Wales and New Zealand over the years have gotten very preferential behaviour because they complain.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Well I've no problem with referee feedback though I do think the Welsh approach with a full press media assault needs to be stomped on harshly.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well I've no problem with referee feedback though I do think the Welsh approach with a full press media assault needs to be stomped on harshly.
And the New Zealand fans sending Wayne Barnes death threats should have resulted in severe punishment for the NZRFU.

But it didn't. It won't be. And since it isn't, we should do use the media too. Maybe not to the same extent for sure, but our media should be supporting our sides more.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FLIP wrote:
And the New Zealand fans sending Wayne Barnes death threats should have resulted in severe punishment for the NZRFU.
Why?

What can they do about what some nutcase in Rotarua or Nelson decides to send in the post or online?

FLIP wrote:
But it didn't. It won't be. And since it isn't, we should do use the media too.

And are you seriously conflating death threats with using the media to put pressure on a referee?!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

FLIP wrote:the New Zealand fans sending Wayne Barnes death threats should have resulted in severe punishment for the NZRFU.
That's just stupid. Anonymous internet personas hurling abuse and threats is not the same as an official representative verbally questioning the competency of an official.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

FLIP wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Well I've no problem with referee feedback though I do think the Welsh approach with a full press media assault needs to be stomped on harshly.

But it didn't. It won't be. And since it isn't, we should do use the media too. Maybe not to the same extent for sure, but our media should be supporting our sides more.
Related - someone needs to have a word with French producers. This 'quirk' whereby they can only find camera angles that are beneficial to French teams has been going on for at least 13 years now. It's the same with stadium replays. The TMO should have a small team ensuring he gets every angle that exists.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Twist wrote:
Related - someone needs to have a word with French producers. This 'quirk' whereby they can only find camera angles that are beneficial to French teams has been going on for at least 13 years now. It's the same with stadium replays. The TMO should have a small team ensuring he gets every angle that exists.
A friend was asking what happened in France / England that led to the fight in the in goal area, I said I didn't see but assume French skulduggery given the lack of replays...
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Cowan Dickie slid in on teh try scorer long after he scored! should have been looked at more IMO!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

wixfjord wrote:
FLIP wrote:
Why?

What can they do about what some nutcase in Rotarua or Nelson decides to send in the post or online?
Logorrhea wrote:
FLIP wrote:the New Zealand fans sending Wayne Barnes death threats should have resulted in severe punishment for the NZRFU.
That's just stupid. Anonymous internet personas hurling abuse and threats is not the same as an official representative verbally questioning the competency of an official.
They should have at least said something condemning it as opposed to the silence we got from NZRFU and their media on the issue. And it would deter future attempts. Instead from 2007 onward they've received massively beneficial refereeing because of it - so why wouldn't some crank from the booneys continue doing it, since it worked?
wixfjord wrote:
FLIP wrote: But it didn't. It won't be. And since it isn't, we should do use the media too.
And are you seriously conflating death threats with using the media to put pressure on a referee?!
Not quite sure how you reached that conclusion. My point was that using the media and officials to put pressure on referees to benefit their sides has been shown to work, and has been shown to been accepted by World Rugby. Sittings on our high horse for a decade has done SFA.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

flustered wrote:Cowan Dickie slid in on teh try scorer long after he scored! should have been looked at more IMO!
https://twitter.com/theblitzdefence/sta ... 0172857344
Anyone But New Zealand
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Twist wrote:
A friend was asking what happened in France / England that led to the fight in the in goal area, I said I didn't see but assume French skulduggery given the lack of replays...
Surprisingly, no. Very much English skullduggery imo.

Wales are also particularly good at using the big screens in the stadium to their advantage.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Twist wrote:
FLIP wrote:

TMO has a tech person wih them and they can get any angle they seem necessary to make best decision... and has for years
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FLIP wrote:Not quite sure how you reached that conclusion.
Eh well it was the part where you said 'since NZ didn't get punished for sending death threats, we should use the media too'. :lol:
FLIP wrote:

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

wixfjord wrote:
FLIP wrote:Not quite sure how you reached that conclusion.
Eh well it was the part where you said 'since NZ didn't get punished for sending death threats, we should use the media too'. :lol:
FLIP wrote:

Failing your comprehension there. One is talking about lack of punishment for bad behaviour against World Rugby, and how it shows a trend of them giving out preferential treatment. The other is a rational for using the media like Wales has. Hardly conflating at all.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

FLIP wrote:
flustered wrote:Cowan Dickie slid in on teh try scorer long after he scored! should have been looked at more IMO!
https://twitter.com/theblitzdefence/sta ... 0172857344
I noticed it immediately and thought yellow but replays were bad (even with pause and rewind).

From that angle it's red. Elbow comes down on the back of the head and the scoring player upper body moves 45 degrees from the impact.

Owens is too into giving an headmaster talk to both sides
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FLIP wrote:
Failing your comprehension there. One is talking about lack of punishment for bad behaviour against World Rugby, and how it shows a trend of them giving out preferential treatment. The other is a rational for using the media like Wales has. Hardly conflating at all.
You've literally said that since WRU didn't punish New Zealand Rugby for fans sending death threats (something they have nothing to with, but that's another issue), then we should use the media too!

I mean they're literally the two examples you've chosen to use to try make some sort of point!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

wixfjord wrote:
FLIP wrote:
You've literally said that since WRU didn't punish New Zealand Rugby for fans sending death threats (something they have nothing to with, but that's another issue), then we should use the media too!

I mean they're literally the two examples you've chosen to use to try make some sort of point!
No, I said that World Rugby (not the Welsh Rugby Union) doesn't punish bad behaviour as demonstrated by both that case and the Welsh example.

And since they don't punish bad behaviour in tier one teams, let's use our media to our advantage like they do.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FLIP wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
FLIP wrote:

No, I said that World Rugby (not the Welsh Rugby Union) doesn't punish bad behaviour as demonstrated by both that case and the Welsh example.

And since they don't punish bad behaviour in tier one teams, let's use our media to our advantage like they do.
Yes, so you are by definition conflating the two issues.

That's ridiculous.

Likewise it's ridiculous to say that fans sending death threats is anything to do with New Zealand Rugby.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

FLIP wrote:
Morf wrote: Where is World Rugby/was EPCR based?

Imagine they're reluctant to pop round the corner unless it's really necessary.
I think it's much more that the organisations want to be welcoming and friendly to other teams/orgs. The end result being we don't push citings and don't push negative feedback about referees.
This and not highlight too much where they are in case we were seen to get preferential treatment and suddenly things move to a tax haven.