Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Blueberry wrote:Watched it back again...Murray was pants and the other thing that stood out was Scotland totally took the p**s at the breakdown......Murray spent half the game moaning at the ref about the breakdown whereas when Cooney came on he simply pulled the ball out and got on with it. The scrum was a mess and the Ireland pack bemused at many of the decisions but as per the breakdown we need to be a bit more savvy when the ref hasn't a rashers and react.

Nobody seems to be giving the Scots any credit for their improvement since September. De Villiers and Tandy have had a marked impact in improving a Scottish team which looks good on paper but have only performed twice in the past two Seasons. Fagerson, Cummins, Hanting,Watson and Browne out-played their Irish counterparts up front and were like Scottish forwards of old. We exerted no pressure on their half-backs and nothing out wide.

Ireland have a settled team with little X-factor. At this level that's not enough.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:If only we had a scrum half who was a fixture for one of Europes top three or four teams. Imagine that. That would be mad, especially if the same guy was a regular partner of the Irish outhalf - crazy stuff. We obviously haven't though, otherwise the entire narrative in the media and online wouldn't be focussing on the choice between the worlds shortest giant and the worlds tallest dwarf
I think people really underrate Luke's ability to get his forwards running off him/on to his passes and it could potentially make a big difference to how we play.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:If only we had a scrum half who was a fixture for one of Europes top three or four teams. Imagine that. That would be mad, especially if the same guy was a regular partner of the Irish outhalf - crazy stuff. We obviously haven't though, otherwise the entire narrative in the media and online wouldn't be focussing on the choice between the worlds shortest giant and the worlds tallest dwarf
I think people really underrate Luke's ability to get his forwards running off him/on to his passes and it could potentially make a big difference to how we play.
If Farrell goes with Luke McGrath then I'll give up.
Cooney is a superior, more rounded SH with no glaring weakness, here's looking at that passing Luke.
If Luke fixes his passing then I'd reconsider.
We've had a SH with shyte passing for the last 18months, it's shown in the team's performances and you guys want to keep making the same mistake.
Thanks but no thanks.
I agree on the need to get our forwards running onto the ball btw but again passing is critical to getting this right.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Disappointing that full time brainfart allows England levae with a point.

Edit: sorry wrong thread.
Last edited by fourthirtythree on February 2nd, 2020, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Post by Twist »

Edit - wrong thread
Last edited by Twist on February 2nd, 2020, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote:He didn't run to the nearest defender, he ran to the nearest Irish pod - which is what Irish full backs do when playing for Ireland. If Will Addison starts the next day, he'll do the same thing and people w'll be calling for Tiernan O'Halloran to be picked. Then when he does the same thing, they'll be looking for Mike Haley.

An Irish full backs primary responsibility when running the ball back is to not put themselves in a position where the opposition can turn the ball over with the backfield exposed.
Is the word Irish superfluous here?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Blueberry wrote:Watched it back again...Murray was pants and the other thing that stood out was Scotland totally took the p**s at the breakdown......Murray spent half the game moaning at the ref about the breakdown whereas when Cooney came on he simply pulled the ball out and got on with it. The scrum was a mess and the Ireland pack bemused at many of the decisions but as per the breakdown we need to be a bit more savvy when the ref hasn't a rashers and react.

Nobody seems to be giving the Scots any credit for their improvement since September. De Villiers and Tandy have had a marked impact in improving a Scottish team which looks good on paper but have only performed twice in the past two Seasons. Fagerson, Cummins, Hanting,Watson and Browne out-played their Irish counterparts up front and were like Scottish forwards of old. We exerted no pressure on their half-backs and nothing out wide.

Ireland have a settled team with little X-factor. At this level that's not enough.
Yes Scots were better than they have been but they also took advantage of the ref, despite the penalties there could have been many more. Still doesn't take away from the fact that our scrum half was pants and we had better options washing their hair this weekend. Anyway hopefully Farrell makes a change there....we shall see.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Scotland came to be aggressive and disrupt, they succeeded. Both teams blew good opportunities.
Hogg, couldn't have happened to a nicer tosser.
Wales will be marginal favourites next week which is not ideal.
The Welsh thrive on being favourites whereas you'd be left wondering if our performance against Scotland was our typical reaction to being favourites.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

Theres even less x-factor now with Ringrose injured. He looked the most dangerous player on the pitch on Saturday. Tom Farrell would be an ideal replacement IMO but that's not going to happen. It'll be Henshaw and Aki.

I'd like to see Cooney, Deegan and Kelleher start. That would give the attack more x-factor. I was impressed with some aspects of the attack at the weekend. As I said previously, it was mixed.

Agree on the Scots too. They were 34Kg heavier than the pack that played us in the world cup. They have a lot more motivation too for various reasons and they have a dangerous attack except when near the line. People complained about Ireland's line speed but the Scots usually have a few tricks up their sleeves for rush defences so overall the irish defence was a positive.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Just on a side note from the game (I haven't seen much talk of it elsewhere) but the teams came out to a half empty stadium again.

I'm not one to tell people what they should and shouldn't do at a rugby match (God knows the tickets are dear enough so you have the right to stay at the bar if you want) but surely that's just bad manners, no?

Anyway, obviously didn't effect the game but just thought it set a bad tone (in terms of atmosphere) from the start.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Just on a side note from the game (I haven't seen much talk of it elsewhere) but the teams came out to a half empty stadium again.

I'm not one to tell people what they should and shouldn't do at a rugby match (God knows the tickets are dear enough so you have the right to stay at the bar if you want) but surely that's just bad manners, no?

Anyway, obviously didn't effect the game but just thought it set a bad tone (in terms of atmosphere) from the start.
Half full at best. Was surrounded by people who had no interest in the game, oblivious to what happening on the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Barry wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:Just on a side note from the game (I haven't seen much talk of it elsewhere) but the teams came out to a half empty stadium again.

Half full at best. Was surrounded by people who had no interest in the game, oblivious to what happening on the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
I think it could equally be an issue with the staff in the bar at the Aviva, I know at the Leinster vs Saints game I missed a try shortly after half time, due to this! :evil:
Queued for the entire 15mins before I reached the top of the queue all the while watching several staff standing around clearly with no knowledge on what they were doing. The entire bar queue was funneled into two tills which also didn't help! I ordered 2 pints of Guinness and a bottle of Heineken 0 for our designated driver. The staff member, a young man no more than 19, twice asked me what Heineken 0 was before telling me he didn't have any until I pointed out that I could see it in the fridge behind him. He then proceeded to hand me the glass bottle unopened, when I asked him to open it he looked at me like I had two heads before a colleague gave him a bottle opener and he opened it, he then presented me with the glass bottle before the same colleague (who by this stage had served 3 people in her queue) informed him that he had to put that into a plastic glass. All this before he got the 2 pints of Guinness, what should have been a 20sec transaction turned into almost 3 minutes.

I can't understand why the Aviva don't hire adequate bar staff or at least train the ones they have, their efficiency is terrible they must be losing tens of thousands of euro in unsold alcohol pre-match and at HT as a result.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

locho wrote: I can't understand why the Aviva don't hire adequate bar staff or at least train the ones they have, their efficiency is terrible they must be losing tens of thousands of euro in unsold alcohol pre-match and at HT as a result.
+1
Should probably be in the Friday Rant thread.
Four Stars
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Transition year students. Different ones every game. Hip flask is yer only man.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

johng wrote:Transition year students. Different ones every game. Hip flask is yer only man.
Surly knot. TY students aren't old enough to serve alcohol?
Mind you I agree on the hip flask and regularly bring one along. Not sure why it was forgotten on Sat.
Four Stars
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Rewatching the game back and Im surprised there was no citings. There was one especially egregious no-arms hit on Henderson at a ruck on around 4 mins
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twist wrote:Rewatching the game back and Im surprised there was no citings. There was one especially egregious no-arms hit on Henderson at a ruck on around 4 mins
Ireland and Leinster are really bad at requesting citings.
Anyone But New Zealand
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

FLIP wrote:
Twist wrote:Rewatching the game back and Im surprised there was no citings. There was one especially egregious no-arms hit on Henderson at a ruck on around 4 mins
Ireland and Leinster are really bad at requesting citings.
Where is World Rugby/was EPCR based?

Imagine they're reluctant to pop round the corner unless it's really necessary.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Morf wrote: Where is World Rugby/was EPCR based?

I think it's much more that the organisations want to be welcoming and friendly to other teams/orgs. The end result being we don't push citings and don't push negative feedback about referees.
Anyone But New Zealand
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

FLIP wrote:
Morf wrote: Where is World Rugby/was EPCR based?

I think it's much more that the organisations want to be welcoming and friendly to other teams/orgs. The end result being we don't push citings and don't push negative feedback about referees.
Agreed. I dislike coming off as crybabies, so I'm happy enough that we don't push for them. After all, we're not going to play these guys again, so asking for them to be banned is only going to help teams against whom we will be competing.