Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Post by FLIP »

wixfjord wrote:
FLIP wrote:
wixfjord wrote: You've literally said that since WRU didn't punish New Zealand Rugby for fans sending death threats (something they have nothing to with, but that's another issue), then we should use the media too!

I mean they're literally the two examples you've chosen to use to try make some sort of point!
No, I said that World Rugby (not the Welsh Rugby Union) doesn't punish bad behaviour as demonstrated by both that case and the Welsh example.

And since they don't punish bad behaviour in tier one teams, let's use our media to our advantage like they do.
Yes, so you are by definition conflating the two issues.

That's ridiculous.

Likewise it's ridiculous to say that fans sending death threats is anything to do with New Zealand Rugby.
I'll simplify it for you. You think I'm saying because A then Z. I'm saying because A then C, and because B then C, and then C then Z. That does not mean because A then Z.

The lack of action and lack of condemnation is everything to do with New Zealand rugby. They are willing to cultivate such behaviour because it gets results and goes unpunished.
Anyone But New Zealand
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Morf wrote:
FLIP wrote: I think it's much more that the organisations want to be welcoming and friendly to other teams/orgs. The end result being we don't push citings and don't push negative feedback about referees.
This and not highlight too much where they are in case we were seen to get preferential treatment and suddenly things move to a tax haven.
Why shouldn't they move? We get little benefit out of hosting them beyond some jobs.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

FLIP wrote:
The lack of action and lack of condemnation is everything to do with New Zealand rugby. They are willing to cultivate such behaviour because it gets results and goes unpunished.
NZRU are cultivating behaviour that results in death threats because it gets results and goes unpunished?

WTF are you talking about!

Edit - Ah sorry, now I remember who you are! The NZ conspiracy theorist right?!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

wixfjord wrote:
FLIP wrote:
NZRU are cultivating behaviour that results in death threats because it gets results and goes unpunished?

WTF are you talking about!

Edit - Ah sorry, now I remember who you are! The NZ conspiracy theorist right?!
Where is their condemnation of such acts? Their silence speaks volumes.

If you don't think New Zealand have been on the beneficial side of refereeing for years, you're clearly mistaken.

And since you're now so clearly unable to continue this discussion without resulting to ad hominem attacks, it's over.
Anyone But New Zealand
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I was surprised that some thought JVDF wasn't good last week. At the game I thought he was close to MOM.

He was a real nuisance to the Scots all game. I think because he's such a quiet guy on the pitch compared to a lot of other back rows people tend to dismiss him too easily.

https://www.the42.ie/josh-van-der-flier ... 5-Feb2020/

His unselfish work for Standers turnover was a piece of under stated brillance.

Keep up the good work Josh :clap:
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeinsterLeader wrote:I was surprised that some thought JVDF wasn't good last week. At the game I thought he was close to MOM.

He was a real nuisance to the Scots all game. I think because he's such a quiet guy on the pitch compared to a lot of other back rows people tend to dismiss him too easily.

https://www.the42.ie/josh-van-der-flier ... 5-Feb2020/

His unselfish work for Standers turnover was a piece of under stated brillance.

Keep up the good work Josh :clap:
Yeah, the viewpoint that VDF wasn't much good astounded me. Even without that indepth analysis it was clear he was involved in so much.
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Watching Josh can sometimes be like watching Sam Warburton. A couple of times Cardiff came to Dublin, we'd beat them, and I'd go away from the RDS distinctly unimpressed with how some of their star players (including and especially Warburton) would perform. Then I'd watch the game back at home and Warburton would be close to man of the match.
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

A master at the hidden stuff eh? Have to say I'm just not convinced. I'm obviously missing something but I re-watched the first 30 mins of the match with an eye on Josh and he just wasn't a factor aside from the jackal that landed right in front of him. Don't want to get into a massive debate and I'm not trying to be controversial. Hes obviously doing something good as a lot of really good coaches are consistently selecting him. I'm just not seeing it.

Would anyone see him in the Lions picture at the moment?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:A master at the hidden stuff eh? Have to say I'm just not convinced. I'm obviously missing something but I re-watched the first 30 mins of the match with an eye on Josh and he just wasn't a factor aside from the jackal that landed right in front of him. Don't want to get into a massive debate and I'm not trying to be controversial. Hes obviously doing something good as a lot of really good coaches are consistently selecting him. I'm just not seeing it.

No but I could imagine another Leinster flanker being considered, who if he was in the frame I think the issue would be, who gets the 20 jersey:
Josh, Pom, Deegan/Doris/Conan, Beirne.

The 3 BR injuries themselves could be considered a better more cohesive unit than the one that played the majority vs Scotland.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:A master at the hidden stuff eh? Have to say I'm just not convinced. I'm obviously missing something but I re-watched the first 30 mins of the match with an eye on Josh and he just wasn't a factor aside from the jackal that landed right in front of him. Don't want to get into a massive debate and I'm not trying to be controversial. Hes obviously doing something good as a lot of really good coaches are consistently selecting him. I'm just not seeing it.

Just listening to Craig Chalmers and Brian Moore singing Jvdf praises on the telegraph pod
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote:

Just listening to Craig Chalmers and Brian Moore singing Jvdf praises on the telegraph pod
ITV commentators were singing his praises during the match and had him as a nominee for Man of the match
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Josh is carrying then you know we're playing well and the front five is on top.

But when he's not carrying the rest of his game is still top notch, it's just that we need more power to get us on the front foot.