Andy Farell's Reign of Terror

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Andy Farell's Reign of Terror

Post by paddyor »

backrower8 wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:02 pm So Addison is in, I would still question his personal affinity. Ruddock and Marmion were here from the get go.

What’s your opinion on the broader point made?
Addisons mam is from Ulster(Fermanagh IIRC) and he has family there which he's holiday with when he was younger.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

On a different topic. POMs one highlight reel item being adored by the press will ensure his continued presence in the squad. While it was a great piece of play, the attention is all on that play, and the intercept from Sexton. Not nearly enough on the debutants who to a man played above expectations.
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

FLIP wrote: October 25th, 2020, 5:38 pm On a different topic. POMs one highlight reel item being adored by the press will ensure his continued presence in the squad. While it was a great piece of play, the attention is all on that play, and the intercept from Sexton. Not nearly enough on the debutants who to a man played above expectations.
I hope not, his brain fart from the restart would have got Stockdale crucified had he done it. It was also noticeable in the subsequent play that he was trotting around lackadaisically, getting up slowly after tackles. Compared to say, Stander, you wouldn't tell who'd been working non stop for 80 minutes and who was a late sub against a beaten team.

Le Roux cited for hitting Alun Wyn Jones's head with his elbow. It was a neck roll too (AWJ did one of those too but not deemed citeable evidently) I guess Bernard won't be able to use the "Alun was blatantly cheating coming round the side to flop on the ball so I lost my head" excuse.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 25th, 2020, 5:49 pm
FLIP wrote: October 25th, 2020, 5:38 pm On a different topic. POMs one highlight reel item being adored by the press will ensure his continued presence in the squad. While it was a great piece of play, the attention is all on that play, and the intercept from Sexton. Not nearly enough on the debutants who to a man played above expectations.
I hope not, his brain fart from the restart would have got Stockdale crucified had he done it. It was also noticeable in the subsequent play that he was trotting around lackadaisically, getting up slowly after tackles. Compared to say, Stander, you wouldn't tell who'd been working non stop for 80 minutes and who was a late sub against a beaten team.
the root cause of that try at the death was that dropped restart - typical from POM - one or two moments of excitement and then nada or in this case a fuppup
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

RichardP wrote: October 25th, 2020, 4:44 pm
heno wrote: October 25th, 2020, 10:16 am As someone who's partner wasn't born here, I have a problem with the view that people can come here as an economic unit and live and work but will never be truely Irish.
I know some will say they aren't talking about life in general, and that sport is different. But for me sport is quite a big part of who we are.
So if you have 2 people lining out for Ireland, one who had only been here for 5 years but has been walking our streets, paying our tax, giving out about our weather, calling kitchen cupboards presses, etc and the other has "Irish blood" but has only been here a wet week and doesn't know where the GPO is, I know who I think is more Irish.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Well said.
Yes. This is a republic not an ethnonationalism enclave.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

RichardP wrote: October 25th, 2020, 4:42 pm Don’t make rugby all about racial purity.
Race has no place in this discussion. Missed the target there.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
the root cause of that try at the death was that dropped restart - typical from POM - one or two moments of excitement and then nada or in this case a fuppup
Ah come on, he was barely on the pitch and managed to set up two tries.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Peg Leg wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:44 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote:

The funny thing with that moment of error was that he jumped as if he was expecting to be lifted, as you would expect to be the case from any kickoff. Then his look of disbelief when he realised that he wasn’t being lifted.

It may well have been POM who dropped the ball, and I’m sure he is disappointed with himself for doing so, but I’d say someone else got a serious talking to after the game for not being where they should have been.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:24 am
Peg Leg wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:44 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
The funny thing with that moment of error was that he jumped as if he was expecting to be lifted, as you would expect to be the case from any kickoff. Then his look of disbelief when he realised that he wasn’t being lifted.

It may well have been POM who dropped the ball, and I’m sure he is disappointed with himself for doing so, but I’d say someone else got a serious talking to after the game for not being where they should have been.
Not getting dragged into a hypothetical but nobody else looked surprised that he wasn’t being lifted so that theory holds no water, he’s a big boy and should accept the responsibility of dropping a ball he shouldn’t have gone for
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:32 am
munster#1 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:24 am
Peg Leg wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:44 am Ah come on, he was barely on the pitch and managed to set up two tries.

Not getting dragged into a hypothetical but nobody else looked surprised that he wasn’t being lifted so that theory holds no water, he’s a big boy and should accept the responsibility of dropping a ball he shouldn’t have gone for
I have no doubt that he will take responsibility for it, just pointing out that the way he jumped and his look after coming down has every indication that he was expecting to be lifted.

Lifting at the restart is something that you teach at schools level, so it would be fair to say that someone should have been there to lift him.
This IMO was a system error.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Honestly I think he might have taken a bang to the head. He looked gormless knocking on the restart, but look again at the next few phases and his defensive application is a world away from the others. He trotted around and got up slowly. Compare to Stander who was still at the pitch of the game.

Either that or he's done.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

fourthirtythree wrote:Honestly I think he might have taken a bang to the head. He looked gormless knocking on the restart, but look again at the next few phases and his defensive application is a world away from the others. He trotted around and got up slowly. Compare to Stander who was still at the pitch of the game.

Just re-watched it there and you’re right. He looks absolutely gassed.

That try brought back bad memories of 2007. That late Italian try in Rome followed by Elvis Vermeulen being awarded a fairly invisible try by an Irish TMO....
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Twist wrote: October 26th, 2020, 2:07 pm
fourthirtythree wrote:Honestly I think he might have taken a bang to the head. He looked gormless knocking on the restart, but look again at the next few phases and his defensive application is a world away from the others. He trotted around and got up slowly. Compare to Stander who was still at the pitch of the game.

Just re-watched it there and you’re right. He looks absolutely gassed.

That try brought back bad memories of 2007. That late Italian try in Rome followed by Elvis Vermeulen being awarded a fairly invisible try by an Irish TMO....
Just had another look at the try.

If you look at the dropped kickoff, there are a few pods with lifters and jumpers.
Heffernan is with POM. POM is watching the ball and moves into position to catch it. Heffernan looks lost, and does not follow POM.
POM should have been aware of this, and perhaps he did have a knock to the head, but Heffernan deserves a big kick up the backside.

Also worth nothing that there was some shocking defensive work to allow the try, including a purchase of an obvious dummy.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

They did every restart to deep on Ireland's left. Stockdale bolloxed up one and we are discussing dropping him. This is the other.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Objectively it was a systems error. POM is a lot of things but he's not as bad as I would like him to be. He's designated as Irelands player to recover the ball in that quadrant but he needs a pod around him to make that happen. Its a system failure and not a POM one. Plus, as alluded to above, the defence was atrocious
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Up Wexford wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:19 pm Objectively it was a systems error. POM is a lot of things but he's not as bad as I would like him to be. He's designated as Irelands player to recover the ball in that quadrant but he needs a pod around him to make that happen. Its a system failure and not a POM one. Plus, as alluded to above, the defence was atrocious
looked like standers ball to everyone who was looking at the match
brenno
Bookworm

Post by brenno »

hugonaut wrote: October 24th, 2020, 9:05 pm
backrower8 wrote: October 24th, 2020, 8:01 pm I know all the arguments but I really am disappointed to see so many non-Irish players in the Irish squad. Playing for your country internationally is more than a job and it lessens the integrity of the team as well as denying Irish players the opportunity to represent their country. I don’t buy the citizenship status either. Richardt Strauss )lovely guy, super player) doesn’t live here anymore, others will return to their families and true homes when they retire from Irish rugby or move on.

Herring, Bealham, Roux, Stander, Gibson-Park, Aki, Lowe, Addison are the current crop. There were 5 in the 23 today.

Heffernan/Kelleher/Sheehan, Molony, Conan, Marmion/McGrath, Farrell, Kearney, Daly are all squeezed out by the players above and there isn’t a cigarette paper between them.
Will Addison's mother is Irish. Bealham and Herring both have Irish grandparents.
Whatever about project players and residency qualifications - whether it's 3 or 5 years - anybody from outside Ireland with an Irish parent or just one grandparent is fully entitled to Irish citizenship and represent the country in whatever sport. Hell, was reading in Sunday Times magazine a couple of weeks ago that Lee Child has an Irish father and is getting an Irish passport because of all the Brexshit stuff. Serves the Brits right for claiming Daniel O'Donnell as British on Sky News a couple of weeks ago.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:55 pm
Up Wexford wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:19 pm Objectively it was a systems error. POM is a lot of things but he's not as bad as I would like him to be. He's designated as Irelands player to recover the ball in that quadrant but he needs a pod around him to make that happen. Its a system failure and not a POM one. Plus, as alluded to above, the defence was atrocious
looked like standers ball to everyone who was looking at the match
POM couldn't hear Stander's call for it over the fake crowd noises obvs.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

brenno wrote: Whatever about project players and residency qualifications - whether it's 3 or 5 years - anybody from outside Ireland with an Irish parent or just one grandparent is fully entitled to Irish citizenship and represent the country in whatever sport. Hell, was reading in Sunday Times magazine a couple of weeks ago that Lee Child has an Irish father and is getting an Irish passport because of all the Brexshit stuff. Serves the Brits right for claiming Daniel O'Donnell as British on Sky News a couple of weeks ago.
Somebody correct me if the following is wrong :
If you have a parent or grand parent you can play for the country, but there is no requirement to become a citizen and get a passport.
On the opposite side, if you get a passport without the residency or blood rule (ie Arab sheik), you don't become entitled to play.
And also if you play for one country, and later change passports to another country, you can't play for the new country.
So in effect playing for a country and passports are totally independent of each other.
Although they will obviously overlap in the vast majorty or cases.

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

heno wrote: October 27th, 2020, 10:53 pm
brenno wrote: Whatever about project players and residency qualifications - whether it's 3 or 5 years - anybody from outside Ireland with an Irish parent or just one grandparent is fully entitled to Irish citizenship and represent the country in whatever sport. Hell, was reading in Sunday Times magazine a couple of weeks ago that Lee Child has an Irish father and is getting an Irish passport because of all the Brexshit stuff. Serves the Brits right for claiming Daniel O'Donnell as British on Sky News a couple of weeks ago.
Somebody correct me if the following is wrong :
If you have a parent or grand parent you can play for the country, but there is no requirement to become a citizen and get a passport.
On the opposite side, if you get a passport without the residency or blood rule (ie Arab sheik), you don't become entitled to play.
And also if you play for one country, and later change passports to another country, you can't play for the new country.
So in effect playing for a country and passports are totally independent of each other.
Although they will obviously overlap in the vast majorty or cases.

It all depends on what sport you’re playing and when.

There seems to be zero controversy when cricketers change national affiliation.
There seem to be lots of Kenyans and Ethiopians competing for European teams in track sports
There was not an eyebrow raised when Michael Jones togged out for 55 times for New Zealand after being awarded his first cap by Western Samoa in 1986.