RWC 2019 Warmup Games

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Re: RWC 2019 Warmup Games

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Yeah they gave Carty MoM which i thought was a bit much. Plenty of mistakes but plenty of, let’s say, endeavour. Is that enough? I dunno, but i would’ve thought he was outside the squad previously. After last week and this week...he’s closer.

I’d be a fan of Porter myself (pun intended) just as long as he can hold up the scrum whichever side he’s on because he is a great jackal threat, moreso to slow than steal ball, and also a good counter rucker. No way is Joe not going to like that. On the other side: I would’ve had Kilcoyne outside the squad, still would, but that call is getting tight too. I think Porter is international class on either side though.

Goes without saying that he played well, but next time i see James Ryan... I would like it to be on tv3.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Fan with smartphone wrote:Marmion the biggest winner so far. Just got a turnover, but he’s sniping, passing, playing to right tempo and right decision at right time. Just a smart fella. Kilcoyne has done well which would be a comfort if Healy ends up in trouble. Conway brilliant for first try. Other than that just steady and good, although I don’t think Addison did enough and Dave K first involvement is a questionable defensive decision in 5m channel, so hopefully he can get going here. Carty will be pleased too.
I don't think Marmion has been THAT good but assuming he was penciled in ahead of Luke then I'd say he's cemented that today.

Have to say I'm not getting the praise for Carty. His passing has often been behind the man, he's missed kicks, got turned over, missed touch after we had scrambled brilliantly in defence, over committed for that last try...

A really positive performance though, don't cared what happens from here aside from injuries. Kilcoyne and Ryan were outstanding. Both are very much needed for different reasons and they gave a big boost.

I wonder have we asked players not to wear scrumcaps in preparation for Japan? Best is wearing one but Josh didn't last week and Beirne isn't today.

Would it be madness to suggest that Porter could end up being the primary backup for both sides of the scrum for Leinster next season? Limited evidence but he really is playing well.

Edit: Carty also messed up the try for Conway. A simple pop pass to Addison would have led to a walk in but he made the wrong call and compounded it with a forward pass.
Compared to Murray though, he was THAT good.
Carty needs the exposure but wasn't mom.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Can't believe Carty got MOTM. It was a very, very average performance from him and throwing that rubbish forward skip pass for Conway instead of the simple feed to Addison for a try was baffling.

Scannell and Kilcoyne the big winners today, notwithstanding the poorness of that Welsh side.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Hippo wrote:Can't believe Carty got MOTM. It was a very, very average performance from him and throwing that rubbish forward skip pass for Conway instead of the simple feed to Addison for a try was baffling.

Scannell and Kilcoyne the big winners today, notwithstanding the poorness of that Welsh side.
Very harsh.

Carty kicked well and looked very dangerous taking the ball to the line. For a relatively small man, I thought he defended excellently too. Couple of poor decisions though.

Conan, Kilcoyne and James Ryan were regularly driving people back in defence, a welcome and rare sight for Ireland. Conan didn't really show his ball carrying ability though (unlike Kilcoyne). Big performances from Porter, Scannell, Stockdale and Addison.

Conway, Henderson and Beirne were better than last week but not necessarily good enough to really 'make a statement'. I wanted to see a bit more of Henderson and Beirne in the loose, and more of Beirne at the breakdown. Still a solid showing from them all things considered.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

He took the ball to the line alright but didn't look particularly dangerous, and consistently found a spot just behind Aki's shoulder to pass to. Imo.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thought Kilcoyne, Porter, Henderson and Addison booked their tickets. Conway and Conan also impressed. The rest of them got more game time.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Patchell for MOM
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Jamie Heaslip decided the MOTM award. Bizarre.

Is Killer considered a good scrummager now? I do t rate him in that key department. The thought of him having to cover 20 minutes against the Boks or England or France scares me.

I just don’t get the Marmion and Carty hype. The former is game, the latter skillful but a work-in-progress who got an easy fixture compared to Ross’s assignment
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thoguth Marmion and Carty looked fine. Nothing special, but not out of place. thought Marmion looled a little slow but its his first real game so thats understandable.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

backrower8 wrote:Jamie Heaslip decided the MOTM award. Bizarre.

Is Killer considered a good scrummager now? I do t rate him in that key department. The thought of him having to cover 20 minutes against the Boks or England or France scares me.

I just don’t get the Marmion and Carty hype. The former is game, the latter skillful but a work-in-progress who got an easy fixture compared to Ross’s assignment
It's more about relative than absolute, not hype really.
Marmion has played a lot better than Murray over the last year and Murray isn't showing any real signs of recovery.
Carty is in competition with Byrne at the moment but in fact both he and Byrne have been playing better than Sexton since Christmas.
Heaslip is smart. Mom was going to the winning team so give it to lad who may have to be our starting OH at the RWC. (Maybe Jamie knows something we don't)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Uncle Monty
Beginner

Post by Uncle Monty »

I thought it was Shane Williams who picked Carty for homme du match, not Heaslip?
Alas I have little more than vintage wine and memories.....
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Uncle Monty wrote:I thought it was Shane Williams who picked Carty for homme du match, not Heaslip?
It was
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Peg Leg wrote:Patchell for MOM
Agreed. Thought he booked his seat on the plane for wales yesterday.
Kid who presented the MOTM to carty looked well pi$$ed off. Carty played well...but against much weaker opposition than Ross did last week.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Strange match. Ireland looked physically Impressive at times, driving back the Welsh. James Ryan to the fore in that regard. He was bullying the Welsh pack. Some good defensive displays from the whole pack and Aki led the backlines defensive effort. Aki looks like he's lost weight and looks quicker than last season.

I like they way Carty mixes the game up. He is a heads up player who looks for space. I don't think he is the greatest talent but runs the game well. He can't be accused of being one dimensional and there were a few times when himself and the backline really threatened to pull away but for some handling errors.

And there were a lot of handling errors! That's one area where we need to see an improvement. I think it was Gerry Thornley who said they didn't do much ball work in the last 7 weeks. It shows. They need to work on that.

In general they've been looking to go wide in the games so far. We have seen little ball carrying which shows by the number of times the backrow has carried. The attacking patterns are looking good, just the execution left. I'd expect to see an improvement again next week but they could have done with another game. If they could have squeezed a midweek game in against one of the provinces or T2 nations it would have ment another 1200 minutes of preseason for the squad.

One other area of worry was they seemed to drop off in the last 15 or 20 min.

I think Addison might have played himself into the WC squad. First game in 2019 I think and he looked very rusty but still offered something different in attack.

The final match will probably have to be full strength with a view to the Scotland game. If the handling improves and they can finish strongly then they're on the right track.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

A lot of handling errors alright, but their footwork was excellent. Looks like something they might have been working on. If you beat the first man with footwork, or even half do it, the space really opens up (obviously I know)
Dont Panic!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Last warmup game.
Team should be close to full strength, first choice with maybe a little experimentation.
Given the opposition up front, Joe's likely 23.
Kilcoyne, Best, Furlong
Ryan, Henderson
Pom, VDF, Stander
Murray, Sexton
Stockdale, Ringrose, Henshaw, Earls
Kearney
Bench
Porter, Scannell, Ryan
Kleyn, Beirne
McGrath, Carty, Conway

Healy left out to ensure a full recovery.
Close call between Conway/Larmour.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Team according to Murray K:

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Robbie Henshaw
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. James Ryan
5. Jean Kleyn
6. CJ Stander
7. Josh van der Flier
8. Jack Conan

I like the look of that backrow a lot more than what we have been playing so far.
Maybe a little light in lineout options albeit so will be interesting to see how that goes with Ryan calling.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

A lot of chat/rumour that Wales may play a relatively weak side with players from outside the 31 involved. May be fake news.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

You know something, I'm not sure that would be a bad thing for us.
I know it would be a hollow victory, but a potentially good win playing some good rugby against Wales at home to send the lads off to Japan would be welcome.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

neill_m wrote:A lot of chat/rumour that Wales may play a relatively weak side with players from outside the 31 involved. May be fake news.
If that's the case, someone forgot to tell Gerry Thornley as he's saying they'll be at full-strength.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish