6 Nations 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Post by Ruckedtobits »

JB1973 wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:north has had a few too many concussions recently. not sure why he is in.
Pivac had a golden spell at the scarlets for about 12 months but that was coming up for 2 years ago now and his cv suggested that was a flash in the pan, as does his time at wales so far

To quote a well respected figure in the welsh game "he is a p@ssed up kiwi chancer with a decent eye for talent but he will get found out sooner rather than later"

Looks like he is going to be proven right
The "well respected figure in the welsh game" may have spoken too soon as that was one of the best Wesh performances in the past 12 months. The pack turned up and kept at it for the 80 minutes. The backs were back to their best and Biggar was perhaps the best player on the pitch.

As previously mentioned, the refereeing and all officials involved were very poor.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

enby wrote:Eddie Jones must be sanctioned for his disgraceful statement disputing Tuilagi's merited red card and saying that it was 13 v 16 at the end. Rugby should not tolerate Mourinhoesque ref baiting
Even more of a joke considering how much of a homer the ref was, they should have been down players in the first half.
Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Eddie Jones is on record as saying that it's not good enough for his English teams to win games he also wants them to physically beat-up teams they play. Yesterday's game was probably the most illegal 6N game in the last decade.

High hits, players taken out off-the-ball, constant obstruction, players running towards the ball knocked to the ground, illegal dangerous scrummaging were but some of the litany of offences which occured and went unpunished.

Commentators from both sides criticised the referee and other officials. Jones was particularly critical of the Red Card for Tuilagi, stupidly, because he was dismissed for a 'no arms tackle' not a high hit.

How I admired the Welsh pack for standing up to the English bullies in the first half and gave the sort of display I had hoped for from the Irish eight a fortnight earlier. The Welsh back three also gave a proud display and certainly Stockdale and Larmour could learn lots from their Welsh counterparts. But Biggar was the epitome of an inspirational out-half. He kicked intelligently and carried and passed like a man possessed. Certainly he made mistakes, but his fieldcraft and inspirational running are examples of how Harry Byrne and Ciaran Frawley should aspire to play.

Lots of examples for Leinster to follow if they want to beat Sarries, because many of the English habits will be displayed by them in the forthcoming quarter-final. So now that we understand just what we'll face, I hope we can step up to the plate.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't get over the reaction of so many English fans (and Jones) to the red card. It's as clear a red as you could ever see and North is very lucky not to be seriously injured. So many fans are comparing it to the Parkes tackle as if two wrongs make a right, but the incidents are completely different. Parkes was lucky not to be carded but it wasn't in the same league as such a deliberate act by Tuilagi.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't get over the reaction of so many English fans (and Jones) to the red card. It's as clear a red as you could ever see and North is very lucky not to be seriously injured. So many fans are comparing it to the Parkes tackle as if two wrongs make a right, but the incidents are completely different. Parkes was lucky not to be carded but it wasn't in the same league as such a deliberate act by Tuilagi.
England fans are getting real unlikable again. A big shame.
Anyone But New Zealand
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I can't get over the reaction of so many English fans (and Jones) to the red card. It's as clear a red as you could ever see and North is very lucky not to be seriously injured. So many fans are comparing it to the Parkes tackle as if two wrongs make a right, but the incidents are completely different. Parkes was lucky not to be carded but it wasn't in the same league as such a deliberate act by Tuilagi.

agree. parkes very lucky not to be carded. I was watching in a pub and couldn't hear the TMO discussion following the Tuilagi tackle on North....was a penalty try discussed? thought North would have scored.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

agree. parkes very lucky not to be carded. I was watching in a pub and couldn't hear the TMO discussion following the Tuilagi tackle on North....was a penalty try discussed? thought North would have scored.
No it didn’t get consideration
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

France down to 14 just before half time. Their earlier card should have been a red too.
Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

France will do well to come back from that h-t score.

Surprising what a difference Barnes made to the penalty, Red Card discussion. And btw, they carded the wrong Frenchman for the first incident. It was Williamse, No 5 not No 6 flanker who turned the Scottish 2nd row on his head. No 6 made a legitimate tackle but Williams, Murphy and TMO McNeice copped out of the proper decision as he landed on his head..
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Fair play to Scotland. Looks like England will win the 6N even if France get a BP win against us.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

But not if we get a BP v France
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

Penalty try is for an occasion where without the illegal action of an opponent a try is a certainty.

Slade was still holding onto North's leg in tackle along with moving him towards the sideline. PT shouldn't have entered the equation for me.

Haven't seen 'fencing response' from North mentioned after impact. Not a good sign at all.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Morf wrote:Penalty try is for an occasion where without the illegal action of an opponent a try is a certainty.

Slade was still holding onto North's leg in tackle along with moving him towards the sideline. PT shouldn't have entered the equation for me.

Haven't seen 'fencing response' from North mentioned after impact. Not a good sign at all.
Upon the item of foul play, the question of PT then removes the player committing foul play from the picture all together. The question is then, is a try likely to have been scored? Slade had a leg, sure, but I wouldn't see that tackle as a dominant one and players can and have wiggled out of such tackles to score before.
Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Assuming Tuilagi and Marker get bans for X number of weeks, they could still potentially play in England's final Six Nations game.
Is there ever a ruling where a player will definitely not be allowed to play in the next games in the specific tournament?
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Having watched the RWC19 and this year's 6N. Rolland has really hung his hat on a bunch of really incompetent SH referees. Williams, O'Keefe, Peyper and to a lesser extent Gardner.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

“The prospect of the 2020 Six Nations finale between France and Ireland, scheduled for the Stade de France next Saturday, proceeding as scheduled remains highly unlikely as France banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people to try and contain coronavirus.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4196873
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

FLIP wrote:
Morf wrote:Penalty try is for an occasion where without the illegal action of an opponent a try is a certainty.

Upon the item of foul play, the question of PT then removes the player committing foul play from the picture all together. The question is then, is a try likely to have been scored? Slade had a leg, sure, but I wouldn't see that tackle as a dominant one and players can and have wiggled out of such tackles to score before.
The burden of evidence in this case is upon the attacker to be blatantly about to score a try without the illegal intervention.

I'm happy that it stays this way to be honest.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Well no, it’s actually closer to a preponderance if the evidence. Would it have been more likely that a try would behave been scored. Tbf in a sport that’s a better balance.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

To quote the law; “3. A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts if foul play by the opposing team prevents a probable try from being scored, or scored in a more advantageous position. A player guilty of this must be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off. No conversion is attempted.”

https://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/W ... 020_EN.pdf
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Morf wrote:
MylesNaGapoleen wrote:

Penalty try is for an occasion where without the illegal action of an opponent a try is a certainty.

I thought North had a good chance of touching it down....momentum would have brought him close to the line despite slades attention.
Here is the line....and you can see slade has no chance of getting him into touch never mind pulling him back.

anyway...lets agree to disagree on the penalty try thing.

what was the "fencing response"? I missed that.