Tour to NZ 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Tour to NZ 2022

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Who could have predicted that we’d need extra cover at hooker? Really poor planning IMO.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 27th, 2022, 9:50 am Who could have predicted that we’d need extra cover at hooker? Really poor planning IMO.
There should be an extra prop also.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ROC not missing the opportunity to have a little pop at Joe.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

dropkick wrote: June 27th, 2022, 10:38 am
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 27th, 2022, 9:50 am Who could have predicted that we’d need extra cover at hooker? Really poor planning IMO.
There should be an extra prop also.
Agreed, and I’d hoped to hear that they’d taken the opportunity to send someone else with Scannell. We haven’t even played a game yet, this has the potential to get much worse.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by the spoofer

Scannell called up due to Herring injury. Henderson also injured but no replacement called up.
Where would folks put Delahunt on that list? He played just as well or better than Heffernan for a lot of the season and while there is nothing wrong with Scannell I am wondering why he wouldn't give another guy a try and see if he can do something different.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

the spoofer wrote: June 27th, 2022, 10:53 am ROC not missing the opportunity to have a little pop at Joe.
I don’t understand what his issue is. It’s as if he thinks Joe was obligated to finish his career here and lied to get away. We all know how obsessed Joe is with the game, the issues with his son’s health, and that a parent died just before the World Cup. He clearly needed a break and could then decide if he was actually done or not with coaching. A Covid outbreak is a pretty reasonable excuse for speeding up his involvement with NZ too, such a strange and bitter take.

Very different to someone like Afoa abusing Ulster’s trust for being “homesick” and then moving to Gloucester. That’s the kind of thing that I think warrants those snide comments.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

sunshiner1 wrote: June 27th, 2022, 11:06 am
by the spoofer

Scannell called up due to Herring injury. Henderson also injured but no replacement called up.
Where would folks put Delahunt on that list? He played just as well or better than Heffernan for a lot of the season and while there is nothing wrong with Scannell I am wondering why he wouldn't give another guy a try and see if he can do something different.
Personally I’d have sent Stewart or McKee, don’t see a point in persisting with the older lads who aren’t good enough. I think we’d benefit far more from playing one of those two against the Maori, which realistically is what they’d have been touring for. We could easily get to a World Cup in 15 months time and still be calling up Scannell etc if there’s an injury, I’m at a loss as to why we wouldn’t start the process of integrating the others right now when the Maori games seemed like an open goal.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Leinster Lout wrote: June 27th, 2022, 9:20 am Would anyone know of a place that would be showing the Maori game in Dublin city centre on Wed morning?
The Wind jammer opens at 7am
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

the spoofer wrote: June 27th, 2022, 10:53 am ROC not missing the opportunity to have a little pop at Joe.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat

Personally I’d have sent Stewart or McKee, don’t see a point in persisting with the older lads who aren’t good enough. I think we’d benefit far more from playing one of those two against the Maori, which realistically is what they’d have been touring for. We could easily get to a World Cup in 15 months time and still be calling up Scannell etc if there’s an injury, I’m at a loss as to why we wouldn’t start the process of integrating the others right now when the Maori games seemed like an open goal.
I'd love to see McKee down there but realistically I can see why he hasn't. Hopefully one of them gets gametime in the November.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Xanthippe wrote: June 27th, 2022, 3:26 am
neill_m wrote: June 26th, 2022, 11:51 pm 4 positive COVID cases in All Black camp - Ian Foster, John Plumtree, David Havili and Jack Goodhue.
And now one in the Irish camp - Mack Hansen isolated from rest of team
3rd Kiwi coach isolating now - Scott McLeod backs coach.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 27th, 2022, 11:07 am
I don’t understand what his issue is. It’s as if he thinks Joe was obligated to finish his career here and lied to get away. We all know how obsessed Joe is with the game, the issues with his son’s health, and that a parent died just before the World Cup. He clearly needed a break and could then decide if he was actually done or not with coaching. A Covid outbreak is a pretty reasonable excuse for speeding up his involvement with NZ too, such a strange and bitter take.

Very different to someone like Afoa abusing Ulster’s trust for being “homesick” and then moving to Gloucester. That’s the kind of thing that I think warrants those snide comments.
Access journalism. Compare it to the sweetheart coverage the failure van Graan got when he was leaving and the complete lack of knives out for the liar Erasmus. It's not really a big deal as rugby is just a game at the end of the day but the cozy nature of access journalism in Ireland is a real problem in our political and economic spheres.

I remember the editor of the Irish Independent boasting, on a show about investigative journalism, about how they agreed to kill a story about Ahern (a man who couoldn't even tell you his name without lying) in order to get the "scoop" on when the election was to be called.

That's not a scoop Anne, that's being the PR mouthpiece of a politician.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

by the spoofer

I am a fan of Delahunt – very physical, strong and lairy. It's a little surprising that Farrell hasn't brought him in to have a look at him first hand at any stage. He's a player who Farrell could work with. Very distinctly not a tidy player, but a guy with a big appetite for getting involved and not backing down. I'd say one of the most abrasive forwards in the county.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Delahunt suffered a serious hamstring injury three months ago: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 34184.html

If he is back available he still doesn't have any match fitness.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 27th, 2022, 11:11 am
by the spoofer

I see it differently. McKee has 3 caps, and a fair bit of that gametime was because of injuries. He's probably not at the stage where he's developed enough at provincial level that international training makes sense or he can get full benefit from. Pretty much the same for Stewart.

It made sense not to bring Scannell but now that they had to make the call it's good to have an experienced player who's been in international squads and will be up to speed quickly. He's here for the Maori game but is closer to the full internationals and we need to be ready for that.

Scannell is young enough that he'll still be around for the RWC and it's a chance for him to make an impression. An experienced player is a solid option that lets the team play,one of the better things about Scannell is that he's accurate.

Kelleher and Sheehan will be on international minutes and may miss the start of next season. McKee is well placed to get some valuable provincial gametime behind Tracy, especially with Cronin retired. He might not actually be better off on the tour at this stage of his career. It's the same for Stewart, Roberts is off, Herring was on the tour. He might develop more in the early season.

Either of them starts the season hot and they could get called for the November internationals. Probably won't happen as they weren't there last I saw. Going on the tour means they come back without time to establish form.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

15. Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas) uncapped
14. Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 30 caps
13. James Hume (Ulster/Banbridge) 3 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 37 caps captain
11. Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 96 caps
10. Ciaran Frawley (Leinster/Skerries) uncapped
9. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 5 caps

1. Jeremy Loughman (Munster/Garryowen) uncapped
2. Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) 6 caps
3. Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 2 caps
4. Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin) uncapped
5. Kieran Treadwell (Ulster/Ballymena) 5 caps
6. Cian Prendergast (Connacht) uncapped
7. Nick Timoney (Ulster/Banbridge) 2 caps
8. Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) 2 caps

Replacements

16. Niall Scannell (Dolphin/Munster) 20 caps
17. Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 116 caps
18. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 23 caps
19. Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 8 caps
20. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 27 caps
21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 96 caps
22. Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 32 caps
23. Michael Lowry (Ulster/Banbridge) 1 cap
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by berliner

15. Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas) uncapped

Replacements

I like the look of the team. The back row is beautifully balanced and I think Aki and Hume compliment each other in the centre. Also happy to see Frawley get some gametime at 10.
Last edited by sunshiner1 on June 28th, 2022, 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Interesting. 5 uncapped players who have to wait, all Leinster or ex Leinster.

Strong backline. Frawley at 10 is the big news. It'll be interesting to see if it's just him getting a shot or a big change in the selection debate.

More experience on the bench that the players ahead, which suggests a lot of these lads will be the bench on Saturday.
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

Apparently Byrne had a hamstring issue so Frawley is in at 10.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

berliner wrote: June 28th, 2022, 1:29 am 15. Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas) uncapped

Replacements

Some very interesting selections. I had hoped to see more of the inexperienced players been held back for the first test match, but given that there are 5 games, it is highly likely that a good number of these players will play some part in one of the 3 tests.

Interesting to see the make up of the squad as it seems to show that Conan has fallen out of favour, and we will likely see Dorris play at 8, which imo is his best position.

As an Irish fan with a slight Munster bias, it is great to see Scannell and Loughman involved.

Loughman in particular, as he is a player who took a risk by taking up a development contract at Munster, and has now managed to force his way into an international squad, and could well pick up a cap or 2 in the coming weeks.

The back line has a good mix of experience and inexperience, and provides Frawley a great opportunity to move up the depth chart.

JOB at fullback will be one I will be watching with interest, as I really think that Farrell has failed to develop any depth at 15. And JOB could be the person to provide that for him.

In the pack is where things get really interesting.
Is that the least experienced pack Ireland has ever fielded?

You would hope that come the RWC, at least one of these players will have established themselves as internationals.
I would like to see Prendergast play some minutes at 7, as I think he would make a great open side.

Really looking forward to this one.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.