Tour to NZ 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: Tour to NZ 2022

Post by desperado »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: July 18th, 2022, 4:23 pm But Scott Barrett wasn't? WR need to get a f%~king grip.
or Jonny Hill (who is a dose)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The more I think about it the more I think that Porter has essentially been cited because WR refuse to introduce a law that requires tacklers to have to bend and therefore allow situations like this where a tackler can try to make a legitimate tackle and end up with their head in a dangerous place. Sometimes there’ll be contact, sometimes there won’t, it’s a complete lottery that they allow to happen and I find it very hard to find fault with a tackler like Porter in this case.

I’d hope it’s obvious that I’m not one of the “game’s gone soft” brigade and indeed I thought JGP should have seen red when he made head contact against Connacht because he was far more proactive and it wasn’t as dynamic a situation. Or NZ’s card last week was fine by me too despite being similar to Porter’s one because the tackler was rushing up so therefore I think there’s more onus to be in control. But what has Porter really done wrong here? You’re allowed make an upright tackle, and as long as that’s the case then incidents like this will happen.

I hate the idea of the game changing but I hate reading about Ryan Jones and Steve Thompson even more, and if part of the solution is that in future Porter just has to wave Retallick past him then so be it, but WR need to stop blaming players for the environment they’ve created and also start hammering the deliberate acts of foul play and the dangerous entries at the breakdown. Sometimes I think they don’t care about injuries at the breakdown because it’s not related to concussion so doesn’t matter. There are probably older examples but something should have changed around side entries all the way back to when Jean De Villiers blew out his knee against Wales in 2014 and yet nearly 8 years later we still see them happen all the time.

It just winds me up how they focus on the punishment rather than the cure for certain incidents, and then how they overreact to some things while covering their eyes and ears when it comes to others. Some of it is just so basic, punish the likes of Scott Barrett (and Bundee btw) for dangerous play, and get the TMO to call out dangerous side entires that they can see as clearly on their screen as I can see on mine. Simple simple stuff.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

desperado wrote: July 18th, 2022, 10:12 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: July 18th, 2022, 4:23 pm But Scott Barrett wasn't? WR need to get a f%~king grip.
or Jonny Hill (who is a dose)
Absolutely, should have mentioned him too in my rant above, and what difference did his presence make to England winning the series while Australia lost their man? Infuriating.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Experimental wrote: July 18th, 2022, 6:24 pm Its a bit ridiculous, last week NZ were bemoaning all the cards, that they were ruining the game, this week when the refs are a bit softer, they are crying the other way around. Which way do they want it? They seem to only care about the cards when it suits them (not all mind, but a good few commentators I have seen). The game 's gone soft and all that....
Yeah was thinking the same thing. It's funny seeing seeing the roles reversed.
Dont Panic!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Didn't know Israel Dagg was in line to come to Leinster but his gf put the kibosh on it so we got Lowe instead. Worked out pretty well overall.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Just watched the third test again. Gets better with age!

What really stands out on second view is the composure and execution under pressure, the ingredient maybe most lacking in the New Zealand side.

Some incredible decisions got made in that game. At nearly every phase in attack or defence someone was doing something really smart that gave the rest of the team a tiny edge. A guy hits a defensive ruck solo, but makes enough nuisance of himself with leg drive and wrestling the guy in front that NZ have to put in 2 more guys to stabilise it. The guy was Hansen. He's just bought his team time for the line to reset and a numerical advantage. Almost every phase we were a step ahead in our decision-making.

A guy that stood out as immense on second view that I didn't appreciate as much live was Furlong. He was a wrecking ball and a tackling machine. I don't blame him for the Ioane try as Tadgh saw him really late from behind VDF and then got handed off as he made a last gasp lunge.

If i saw one chink in our game it was our tactic for our 13 or guy in that spot, who rushes up to discourage the ball going wide. If the attacker dummies, goes and then passes once he's through the dogleg we are toast. Getting in the opponents eyeline so he thinks twice about the pass is enough. I think we're overplaying that card and need to rein it in. Hansen got caught out once but bad execution saved us. The were other chances for them to punish us with the same issue. Other than that it was pretty immaculate.

If you remove the tries that were moments of individual brilliance from NZ's tally over the series and look just for the team-constructed tries - how many were there? Two or three? That has to be a worry for them, but also a sign that if they do get team cohesion they could be scoring 4 or 5 a game as a baseline.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jezzer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 10:47 am Just watched the third test again. Gets better with age!

What really stands out on second view is the composure and execution under pressure, the ingredient maybe most lacking in the New Zealand side.

Some incredible decisions got made in that game. At nearly every phase in attack or defence someone was doing something really smart that gave the rest of the team a tiny edge. A guy hits a defensive ruck solo, but makes enough nuisance of himself with leg drive and wrestling the guy in front that NZ have to put in 2 more guys to stabilise it. The guy was Hansen. He's just bought his team time for the line to reset and a numerical advantage. Almost every phase we were a step ahead in our decision-making.

A guy that stood out as immense on second view that I didn't appreciate as much live was Furlong. He was a wrecking ball and a tackling machine. I don't blame him for the Ioane try as Tadgh saw him really late from behind VDF and then got handed off as he made a last gasp lunge.

If i saw one chink in our game it was our tactic for our 13 or guy in that spot, who rushes up to discourage the ball going wide. If the attacker dummies, goes and then passes once he's through the dogleg we are toast. Getting in the opponents eyeline so he thinks twice about the pass is enough. I think we're overplaying that card and need to rein it in. Hansen got caught out once but bad execution saved us. The were other chances for them to punish us with the same issue. Other than that it was pretty immaculate.

If you remove the tries that were moments of individual brilliance from NZ's tally over the series and look just for the team-constructed tries - how many were there? Two or three? That has to be a worry for them, but also a sign that if they do get team cohesion they could be scoring 4 or 5 a game as a baseline.
This tour could now be a double edged sword. It has been very good exposure for all of Ireland's player who got game time.
However were we to meet NZ in the RWC, have they seen enough to be able to unlock our defense and/or expose other weaknesses.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote: July 19th, 2022, 8:55 am https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... gg#p676337

Indo link in that thread too
In hindsight thank god we didn't sign Dagg, Keenan might not have developed the way that he has.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I agree that showing your hand can have negative consequences down the line. But a test series win is a real, tangible achievement in itself. We've built up the World Cup QF too much in this country. We will win one sooner or later.

As for what NZ will take from the series, we'll know we've really got under their skin if they go and put an Irish citizen in charge.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

The same applies for both teams OS.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

No further action on Porter after Discipinary Hearing.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/071 ... ng-citing/
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

jezzer wrote: July 19th, 2022, 2:08 pm The same applies for both teams OS.
True, and for what it is worth we are now in their head. We've beaten them 5 out of the last 8 encounters, I think a lot of the mystique/mojo of the All Blacks is they have teams beaten before the first kick of the ball, they don't have that with us anymore
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

jezzer wrote: July 18th, 2022, 10:58 am
Flash Gordon wrote: July 18th, 2022, 10:24 am Overall I'd go Josh too. I thought POM had a very good series too but the hysteria over him in the media is off the wall, if there was a Lions Tour next month Josh would be a nailed on starter, POM wouldn't make the squad, Josh is a much better player. Again, not to take away from POM and it's not is fault that the media do what they do.
Justin Marshall on NZ sports radio just said the ABs with POM in their team would be a drastically different proposition. I'm not sure POM is over hyped on Irish media, I think he's just unfairly dinged on Leinster media!
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/tadhg-be ... Exyi5pJG6U

You were saying? ;-)

Again, the lad had a great series but Beirne, Sexton or Van Der flier for me
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote: July 19th, 2022, 1:47 pm
johng wrote: July 19th, 2022, 8:55 am https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... gg#p676337

In hindsight thank god we didn't sign Dagg, Keenan might not have developed the way that he has.
Dagg retired when Keenan was still playing 7s. He probably would have played wing.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ah thanks. So the rumours are true often enough.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Citing against Porter dismissed
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Thinking about the tour, did anything really change wrt the pecking order for various positions. Probably Treadwell as 4th choice lock and maybe Frawley but everyone else is as you were really. Loughman and Scannell came in and did a good job but they're like 4th or 5th choice in their position. McCloskey is 3rd choice 12 etc. I don't think anyone ruled themselves out of future plans which is something Farrell said at the start of the tour.

Prendergast maybe didn't do enough as I think we're stacked at 6 and the opening is for a 3rd 7. Would he have toured if Connors was fit or Kendellan a year older?

Barid is the odd one out maybe. Travelled as a backrow and used as a sub lock in both Maori games having previously been 4th choice lock. Seems to have been supplanted by MacCarthy at Leinster too.

It's a good position to be in that you can lose 3 from your first choice 15/23 and still win a series like that. Will likely be the same 23 as started first test with Henderson and Kelleher to come in either to start or bench for SA. Maybe Earls stays on the bench and captains vs Fiji for his ton.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Sheehan went from impact sub to viable starter at the highest level. Was really impressed with him.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Logorrhea wrote: July 19th, 2022, 8:36 pm Sheehan went from impact sub to viable starter at the highest level. Was really impressed with him.
Maybe, but that was started during 6n.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles