Tour to NZ 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

kUD
Beginner

Re: Tour to NZ 2022

Post by kUD »

suisse wrote:Scared shitless of the 10 situation on tour. Carbery is going but listening to former players, journalists and extras on various podcasts and tv clips since the start of the championship, they all hit a stone wall in their analysis of Carbery within a minute of the discussion. Assumed he'll be there and he'll start and, worryingly, it'll all be okay. Have seen nothing to justify this misplaced confidence.

I think, of the 5 games, Sexton starts 2 and Carbery starts 2. I don't know about the 5th game. We're in big, big trouble when (not if) Carbery underperforms. What's next? Who's next?
What would it take for then to have another look at Jackson? He's been going well at London Irish.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

kUD wrote:
suisse wrote:Scared shitless of the 10 situation on tour. Carbery is going but listening to former players, journalists and extras on various podcasts and tv clips since the start of the championship, they all hit a stone wall in their analysis of Carbery within a minute of the discussion. Assumed he'll be there and he'll start and, worryingly, it'll all be okay. Have seen nothing to justify this misplaced confidence.

I think, of the 5 games, Sexton starts 2 and Carbery starts 2. I don't know about the 5th game. We're in big, big trouble when (not if) Carbery underperforms. What's next? Who's next?
What would it take for then to have another look at Jackson? He's been going well at London Irish.
Regardless of what anyone's thoughts are on the outcome of his trial, the reality is that Jackson will never play for either ulster or Ireland again.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

kUD wrote: April 7th, 2022, 10:26 am

If those guys from Men in Black lined the sponsors and the TV audience up and used their pen thing to erase people's memories I'd say he'd be a shoo in.

Logistics might be a bit difficult to get everyone to look the same way at the same time but I guess they have plans for that. You should give them a call.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

fourthirtythree wrote: April 7th, 2022, 10:55 am

If those guys from Men in Black lined the sponsors and the TV audience up and used their pen thing to erase people's memories I'd say he'd be a shoo in.

Logistics might be a bit difficult to get everyone to look the same way at the same time but I guess they have plans for that. You should give them a call.
There would be no consequences if they picked him on a tour to NZ so I don’t see why they wouldn’t pick him
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Lock9541 wrote:
kUD wrote: April 7th, 2022, 10:26 am What would it take for then to have another look at Jackson? He's been going well at London Irish.

There would be no consequences if they picked him on a tour to NZ so I don’t see why they wouldn’t pick him
Ever if the MIB thing worked, you've still got the small matter of the IRFU's policy of only picking players who play for Irish clubs.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Lock9541 wrote: April 7th, 2022, 11:19 am There would be no consequences if they picked him on a tour to NZ so I don’t see why they wouldn’t pick him
Here are the immediate and unarguable consequences to picking him.

Most, at least, Irish and provincial rugby sponsors will withdraw their sponsorship

Most, at least, government funding for rugby in Ireland will be withdrawn

Irish Rugby enters a state of national, political, and social pariahdom not seen since 1981
I have Bumbleflex
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 7th, 2022, 11:29 am
Lock9541 wrote: April 7th, 2022, 11:19 am There would be no consequences if they picked him on a tour to NZ so I don’t see why they wouldn’t pick him

Most, at least, Irish and provincial rugby sponsors will withdraw their sponsorship

Irish Rugby enters a state of national, political, and social pariahdom not seen since 1981
It’s been so many years since those WhatsApp messages if people can’t forgive after a couple of years then there’s something seriously wrong with you. Nobody is perfect I’m sure if all our conversations we’ve ever had got leaked we’d all be cancelled too. He’s seems like a good guy would love to see him back in Ireland one day playing for Ulster
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If his accuser publicly recanted, apologised and admitted making a false complaint and if everyone believed it; then it would be possible for him to come back if he wanted. Maybe.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

ronk wrote: April 7th, 2022, 11:41 am

If his accuser publicly recanted, apologised and admitted making a false complaint and if everyone believed it; then it would be possible for him to come back if he wanted. Maybe.
He was Not Guilty
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I know
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Barry wrote: April 7th, 2022, 11:24 am
Lock9541 wrote:

Ever if the MIB thing worked, you've still got the small matter of the IRFU's policy of only picking players who play for Irish clubs.
You found the pesky flaw in my otherwise foolproof plan!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Agree 100%. We can discuss the rights and the wrongs of it till were blue in the face, but Dave is right, the IRFU are never going to reopen that particular can of worms. They'd be mad too. It's just not worth the hassle. Paddy Jackson is doing grand, playing good rugby in a hassle-free environment. The conditions he currently enjoys, able to ply his trade on "the mainland" (irony alert) would no longer pertain, if he were to again don the jersey of the national team - or even a provincial one for that matter. The IRFU know this. He knows this, I imagine. That's why it's never going to happen.
Jimmyboy

Post by Jimmyboy »

Just out of interest, can anyone confirm the itinerary for the tour. I know it’s in previous posts but cannot find confirmation. I’m looking to go but waiting for the official itinerary.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Jimmyboy wrote: April 14th, 2022, 4:37 pm Just out of interest, can anyone confirm the itinerary for the tour. I know it’s in previous posts but cannot find confirmation. I’m looking to go but waiting for the official itinerary.
1st Test is July 2nd, 2nd test 9th and 3rd Test 16th. Two as yet unconfirmed midweek games v the Maori between 1st/2nd test and 2nd/3rd test?

https://rugbytravelireland.com/new-zeal ... tour-2022/
Jimmyboy

Post by Jimmyboy »

Have the venues for the test been confirmed ?
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Lock9541 wrote: April 7th, 2022, 11:32 am

It’s been so many years since those WhatsApp messages if people can’t forgive after a couple of years then there’s something seriously wrong with you. Nobody is perfect I’m sure if all our conversations we’ve ever had got leaked we’d all be cancelled too. He’s seems like a good guy would love to see him back in Ireland one day playing for Ulster
I beg to differ, Paddy Jackson does not seem like a good guy to me.

Regardless of that, however, you seem to be deaf to the growing voice of women in sport. Replay the recent controversies over the treatment of women's rugby, and then lay over it a track about rape and sexual abuse. Even if you're the kind of guy that likes to give the bros the benefit of the doubt, you should realise that it would be hara-kiri for our game. So it's a no, both on the basis of principals and pragmatics.
Last edited by berliner on April 14th, 2022, 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Jimmyboy wrote: April 14th, 2022, 5:16 pm Have the venues for the test been confirmed ?
Have a look at the first post on Pg 2 of this thread. Details quoted came from comments of NZ Board CEO.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Jimmyboy wrote: April 14th, 2022, 5:16 pm Have the venues for the test been confirmed ?
Provisionally yes, but not 100% etc. Auckland for Tests 1 & 3, Wellington for Test 2 according to the Rugby Travel Ireland link.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neill_m wrote: April 14th, 2022, 6:38 pm
Provisionally yes, but not 100% etc. Auckland for Tests 1 & 3, Wellington for Test 2 according to the Rugby Travel Ireland link.
According to NZ CEO on 21st March, 3rd Test will be in Dunedin, not Auckland. Possibly worth checking this on NZ website.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Interesting decision by NZ Board last weekend with their decision to add Mike Cron and Andrew Strawbridge to their coaching group for the 2022 International season. Both are very experienced forward coaches with Cron probably the most expert scrum coach in World Rugby. Greg Feek retains the role of designated scrum coach but Cron will work alongside him.

The decisions followed a "very detailed review" of performances during 2021.

Previously, the NZ Board announced that Joe Schmidt will join the coaching group as Selector, but only after the Irish Tour in July.