Tour to NZ 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Tour to NZ 2022

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 18th, 2022, 2:17 pm
riocard911 wrote: July 18th, 2022, 1:32 pm ": he’s an onnoying git to play against with the PASHUN and the ANGRY FACE" - so true, Old School. But if he was togging out in blue week in, week out, we'd be just luvin' it!!! 😜😜😜
Oldschool is the “provacteur” who think everyone should just think racist jokes are funny. I’m the other one
Mea culpa!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Porter cited
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

paddyor wrote: July 18th, 2022, 3:33 pmPorter cited
For what? Being run into?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Logorrhea wrote: July 18th, 2022, 3:35 pm
Ok, that's more than a little bit exaggerated. But to me citings should be reserved for acts that are pretty clearly not accidental, just the thuggish and/or premeditated stuff.

Porter gets around the corner to fill the defensive line and sees straight away he has Retallick hitting the gap he just filled. He doesn't have time to drop and he makes the hit anyway. Retallick drops and slightly shifts to accept the hit he probably wasnt expecting and bang.

It's definitely a card, i see both sides of the colour argument. In a vacuum yellow is prob the correct call.

But a citing? Weird decision.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: July 18th, 2022, 3:04 pm
riocard911 wrote: July 18th, 2022, 1:32 pm ": he’s an onnoying git to play against with the PASHUN and the ANGRY FACE" - so true, Old School. But if he was togging out in blue week in, week out, we'd be just luvin' it!!! 😜😜😜
Oldschool is the “provacteur” who think everyone should just think racist jokes are funny. I’m the other one
Mea culpa!
All good, my time on here is so much better since I put him on ignote
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: July 18th, 2022, 3:04 pm
Mea culpa!
All good. I put him on ignore ages ago, life is just that bit nicer since…
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

jezzer wrote: July 18th, 2022, 3:46 pm
Logorrhea wrote: July 18th, 2022, 3:35 pm
Ok, that's more than a little bit exaggerated. But to me citings should be reserved for acts that are pretty clearly not accidental, just the thuggish and/or premeditated stuff.

Porter gets around the corner to fill the defensive line and sees straight away he has Retallick hitting the gap he just filled. He doesn't have time to drop and he makes the hit anyway. Retallick drops and slightly shifts to accept the hit he probably wasnt expecting and bang.

It's definitely a card, i see both sides of the colour argument. In a vacuum yellow is prob the correct call.

But a citing? Weird decision.
I guess they think it was definitely a red and want to apply the suspension. Hmmm, still find it odd.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

But Scott Barrett wasn't? WR need to get a f%~king grip.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

jezzer wrote: July 18th, 2022, 4:09 pm and he makes the hit anyway. Retallick drops and slightly shifts to accept the hit he probably wasnt expecting and bang.
If he didn't advance into the tackle, which he didn't, how did HE make the hit. He absorbed the contact that was initiated by Retalick.

I thought the ref got it exactly right.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He still needs to drop. Retallick has a broken cheekbone and is out for 2 months.

Barrett one was worse, it doesn't seem fair.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: July 18th, 2022, 5:00 pm He still needs to drop. Retallick has a broken cheekbone and is out for 2 months.

Barrett one was worse, it doesn't seem fair.
Course it's not fair! Lol!! But in the greater scheme of things it doesn't matter, as we came out series winners! Take that NZ!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It's one of those that could be red, could be a yellow and whichever way the ref looks at it - that's how it will turn out. I thought that Barnes did a very good job of talking through the decision, making the point that it was a passive or soak tackle which mitigated it down from a red. But if Barnes did decide to give a red for it, I don't think there'd be much room for rational argument, especially given there is no drop in height from Porter. It should also be borne in mind that only the tackler is required to change his height, the ball carrier has no obligation whatsoever to do so

People have to get their heads around the situation that in any kind of head-to-head tackle the penalty will start at red and after that, it's in the hands of the whistle beholder. Every penalty resulting from head-to-head contact should result in a citing.
I have Bumbleflex
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 18th, 2022, 5:11 pm It's one of those that could be red, could be a yellow and whichever way the ref looks at it - that's how it will turn out. I thought that Barnes did a very good job of talking through the decision, making the point that it was a passive or soak tackle which mitigated it down from a red. But if Barnes did decide to give a red for it, I don't think there'd be much room for rational argument, especially given there is no drop in height from Porter. It should also be borne in mind that only the tackler is required to change his height, the ball carrier has no obligation whatsoever to do so

People have to get their heads around the situation that in any kind of head-to-head tackle the penalty will start at red and after that, it's in the hands of the whistle beholder. Every penalty resulting from head-to-head contact should result in a citing.
Interesting that AKI wasn't cited for the hit on Tu'ungafasi which most Irish people on Twitter seemed to feel should have been looked at (interestingly I don't remember any New Zealand twitterers calling for a review)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

ronk wrote: July 18th, 2022, 5:00 pm He still needs to drop. Retallick has a broken cheekbone and is out for 2 months.
of course, that's why its yellow.

I can see why it could have gone either way, but Barnes made the right call and explained why it didn't go the way of a red. I feel he was correct.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

There are arguments for why Porter's card was both yellow and red, at the time I honestly thought it was red. If rugby is to survive and prosper given the recent revelations around Ryan Jones and Steve Thompson I think that should really be a red. I'm glad it wasn't of course because that could have cost us the series but there are bigger issues at play.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Flash Gordon wrote: July 18th, 2022, 5:47 pm There are arguments for why Porter's card was both yellow and red, at the time I honestly thought it was red. If rugby is to survive and prosper given the recent revelations around Ryan Jones and Steve Thompson I think that should really be a red. I'm glad it wasn't of course because that could have cost us the series but there are bigger issues at play.
Based on what Barnes said it was a YC.
However maybe that particular mitigation needs to be removed.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 18th, 2022, 5:11 pm It's one of those that could be red, could be a yellow and whichever way the ref looks at it - that's how it will turn out. I thought that Barnes did a very good job of talking through the decision, making the point that it was a passive or soak tackle which mitigated it down from a red. But if Barnes did decide to give a red for it, I don't think there'd be much room for rational argument, especially given there is no drop in height from Porter. It should also be borne in mind that only the tackler is required to change his height, the ball carrier has no obligation whatsoever to do so

Agree with all that. Think Aki was very lucky. It seems clear he clocked the guy but there's clear footage of the contact from the TV cameras(I know TMO has own feed)
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Its a bit ridiculous, last week NZ were bemoaning all the cards, that they were ruining the game, this week when the refs are a bit softer, they are crying the other way around. Which way do they want it? They seem to only care about the cards when it suits them (not all mind, but a good few commentators I have seen). The game 's gone soft and all that....
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Experimental wrote: July 18th, 2022, 6:24 pm Its a bit ridiculous, last week NZ were bemoaning all the cards, that they were ruining the game, this week when the refs are a bit softer, they are crying the other way around. Which way do they want it? They seem to only care about the cards when it suits them (not all mind, but a good few commentators I have seen). The game 's gone soft and all that....
It's almost as if NZ fans aren't purist stewards of the spirit of the game - they just want the laws to suit them at all times.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It's fair to say the win will turbocharge the players belief in the team. The Irish jersey never had the aura of the ABs or Springboks or even Wallabies but that win will have changed things in that regard. Even the Welsh players play above themselves when they put on the wales jersey and have won many a game that they'd no right to.