Tour to NZ 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Tour to NZ 2022

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: July 9th, 2022, 11:28 am Have a look at Lowe for the second Irish try and you'll see what he does that's almost impossible to replace. Comes in field as first receiver to give Sexton the second receiver position. Sexton hits Aki and eventually Lowe gets the ball again in the centre of the field making another two yards. He also bullocks into two rucks in that period too.

He's an extra back rower at times.

He also won the ball for the last Sexton penalty from the kick off.

He defended exactly how you'd want him to for the last NZ try, came up with the line, trusted his inside man and covered the winger. Carbery missed tackle meant there was a 2 on 1.

Lowe and Hansen are our starting 11/14 for now and rightly so because both offer playmaking ability that no other winger in Ireland does.
+1.
Apart from two knocks-ons in key attacking positions, Lowe made a huge contribution elsewhere, both in attack and defence, and regularly straightened the line, which others didn't. The only Irish failure today was Carbery who is now a defensive disaster.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Cheeses of Nazareth wrote: July 9th, 2022, 12:03 pm
Made Of Ale wrote: July 9th, 2022, 11:53 am NZ need to find some big farmers.
:lol:
Classic. Tell Keith Wood while you're at it!!! 😝😝😝
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

:green clap:
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Worth watching Lowe's actions in this.

Absolutely critical to our attack.

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/sta ... 3139023873

Lovely move.
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

wixfjord wrote: July 9th, 2022, 12:37 pm Worth watching Lowe's actions in this.

Absolutely critical to our attack.

https://twitter.com/brettruganalyst/sta ... 3139023873

Lovely move.
Watching it live you get so emotionally invested that you don't appreciate the rugby, but Jesus, that was a great try. That's the type of play we've been crying out for for a long time. To be able to do that at the highest level is great to see, credit to the Irish coaches.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

paddyor wrote: July 9th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Andrew Porter bought a few head of cattle during the week. The improvement was obvious.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote: July 9th, 2022, 12:52 pm
paddyor wrote: July 9th, 2022, 12:26 pm
Andrew Porter bought a few head of cattle during the week. The improvement was obvious.
I hear Doris has been getting back to his rootes training in an "I Shot JR" t-shirt with a thousand yard stare
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

cormac wrote:
Oldschool wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:47 am Will this result change the Ranking order.
NZ likely to drop below France but whither us.
Yep, France 2nd, Ireland 3rd, NZ 4th

If we hadn't conceded that late try, we'd be 2nd
And if Wales beat SA, we'd have gone to #1

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Shout out to Caelen Doris's fingertips btw. Probably very glad he forgot to cut his nails yesterday.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I rewatched the first half there, and it is staggering how much Peyper missed or chose not to see. We won, so i'm going to have a real b*tch and moan about it.

1] The ruck clearout/tackle by Papali'i on Porter was called by Dickson on the side line;
2] the TMO called the Fainga'anuka charge into Hansen;
3] the TMO called the early tackle on Ringrose; and
4] Dickson called the jumping across/aerial contact by Retallick.

That's four penalties in forty minutes, all in Ireland's favour, which he didn't see and wasn't going to give. His first take on the Ta'avao red card was 'just a rugby collision' – luckily he changed his mind when he saw the replay.

For the JVDF offside at the scrum, Ardie Savea broke his bind and re-engaged. A bind is defined as "Grasping another player’s body firmly between the shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder." [source: https://d26phqdbpt0w91.cloudfront.net/N ... 6dfa08.pdf - p.17]

Yes, it's a technicality, but our players know the law better than the refs do – vis JVDF breaking off the scrum when Savea broke his bind this week, and James Ryan coming through on Aaron Smith when Smith rolled the ball back with his hand in the caterpillar ruck last week.

He went back for a TMO-called knock on [Retallick snagging JGP] when he had seen it, called it backwards and told the players to play on. The TMO can't do that, and the ref shouldn't listen to him. The TMO's input is limited to:

"a. The grounding of the ball in in-goal.
b. Touch or touch-in-goal in the act of grounding the ball or the ball being made dead.
c. Where there is doubt as to whether a kick at goal has been successful.
d. Where match officials believe an infringement may have occurred in the playing area leading to a try or preventing a try.
e. Foul play, including sanctions."
[source: https://d26phqdbpt0w91.cloudfront.net/N ... 6dfa08.pdf - p.43]

Basically, getting the right decisions on scoring and foul play.

I accept that some of that is nit-picking, but I'm only talking about forty minutes of rugby, and it's an absolute mistake-fest, all of them against us. I've got a pretty big issue with his basic level of competency and his quite obvious favouritism to New Zealand.

EDIT: on the 5m lineout in the first half where we mauled round the back and went to ground [about 17'], Codie Taylor drags JVDF 5m out of the back of the maul and trips him on to the ground. You can't drag anybody out of the maul, it's a penalty. Doing it so incredibly obviously - like a showcase of not what to do for a demonstration video – just highlighted that Peyper either doesn't know the law or referees the two teams to different standards.
Last edited by hugonaut on July 9th, 2022, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

They have them, what they need is a few soft boys or more players from their "blue" franchise.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought the TMO’s remit had been expanded? Regardless the officiating was really poor, particularly the issue around NZ not going down to 12 and then the confusion when Savea came back on is on them just as much as the NZ management. Really amateurish stuff for the top level of world rugby.
Last edited by LeRouxIsPHat on July 9th, 2022, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Spotted this from @optajonny, that’s some stat for Garry.

51 - Garry Ringrose (@IrishRugby) has made dominant contact on 51 carries in Tests since the beginning of 2021, 11 more than any other player from a Tier One nation in that time.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote: July 9th, 2022, 7:27 pm I rewatched the first half there, and it is staggering how much Peyper missed or chose not to see. We won, so i'm going to have a real b*tch and moan about it.

1] The ruck clearout/tackle by Papali'i on Porter was called by Dickson on the side line;

That's four penalties in forty minutes, all in Ireland's favour, which he didn't see and wasn't going to give. His first take on the Ta'avao red card was 'just a rugby collision' – luckily he changed his mind when he saw the replay.

For the JVDF offside at the scrum, Ardie Savea broke his bind and re-engaged. A bind is defined as "Grasping another player’s body firmly between the shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder." [source: https://d26phqdbpt0w91.cloudfront.net/N ... 6dfa08.pdf - p.17]

Yes, it's a technicality, but our players know the law better than the refs do – vis JVDF breaking off the scrum when Savea broke his bind this week, and James Ryan coming through on Aaron Smith when Smith rolled the ball back with his hand in the caterpillar ruck last week.

He went back for a TMO-called knock on [Retallick snagging JGP] when he had seen it, called it backwards and told the players to play on. The TMO can't do that, and the ref shouldn't listen to him. The TMO's input is limited to:

b. Touch or touch-in-goal in the act of grounding the ball or the ball being made dead.
d. Where match officials believe an infringement may have occurred in the playing area leading to a try or preventing a try.

I accept that some of that is nit-picking, but I'm only talking about forty minutes of rugby, and it's an absolute mistake-fest, all of them against us. I've got a pretty big issue with his basic level of competency and his quite obvious favouritism to New Zealand.

EDIT: on the 5m lineout in the first half where we mauled round the back and went to ground [about 17'], Codie Taylor drags JVDF 5m out of the back of the maul and trips him on to the ground. You can't drag anybody out of the maul, it's a penalty. Doing it so incredibly obviously - like a showcase of not what to do for a demonstration video – just highlighted that Peyper either doesn't know the law or referees the two teams to different standards.
Quality rant but you may have missed the most egregious mistake. Not realising that NZ should have been down to 12 players when they went to uncontested scrums.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

cormac wrote: July 9th, 2022, 8:35 pm
hugonaut wrote: July 9th, 2022, 7:27 pm I rewatched the first half there, and it is staggering how much Peyper missed or chose not to see. We won, so i'm going to have a real b*tch and moan about it.

Quality rant but you may have missed the most egregious mistake. Not realising that NZ should have been down to 12 players when they went to uncontested scrums.
At the mall you mention, their TH comes straight in and pulls it down. He does the dead fish move and they get the scrum
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I think he did see the Ringrose headknock alright; but what's worse he called it live as accidental, until TMO called him back to it. Accidental doesn't come into it. After the pen for lifting Sheehans leg in the rolling maul; and we're on advantage. Cane charges in - another offence. ABs at this point have 1 Red, and 1 YC ongoing. Jaco .. "Sam you need to have a serious chat, I'm not going to back off" , which he did and continued to do all game. There's a complete lack of consistency with officiating. The differences for instance, between Dickson/Van der Weisthuizen, Jaco/Tom Foley (thank God for Foley), and Brace/Neville today is stark in terms of interpretations. Another thing maybe someone can explain to me - how was there not a 'high degree of danger' in the impact to the head of a winger (Hansen) running forward, and Faingaánuku jumping into him and shoulder contact to the head; does the fact that his lower arm contacts Hansens chest while (at the same time note) his shoulder hits Hansen in the face who visibly reels back. How is degree of danger defined? On another point; Cane in his on pitch post match interview (with Kristy? who's initial comment to Sam was 'that was the most bizarre game ever'!) - never once mentioned that AB discipline might have been a reason why they lost.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

A few observations after watching the full match again on YouTube:
No idea how a clearly stunned Retallick was allowed play on for a few mins at start of 2nd half before he was taken off for HIA. Hopefully he hasn't sustained any further injury as a result.
Stunning piece of instinctive skill from BB for their try although the ball did bounce perfectly for him
Like many on here, I'm not a big POM fan but he put in an extraordinary shift today. It was his best display in a long time. How he kept the ball in play before our first try was amazing.
Praise is due to the forwards and POC and Fogarty for largely sorting last week's set piece troubles.
Finally, how shite was that ref? A genuinely dreadful performance from him
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

I fear the back lash we'll get next week. NZ have form of coming out to hurt teams that beat them the week before - the Dublin match after we beat them in Chicago was a farce with how much foul play they got away with.

On one hand I'd love to win the series. On the other I want our players to come back in one piece.
Anyone But New Zealand
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Barnes is both a homer and a politician. We can expect him to cop out of a stack of decisions. They will be able to get brutal with impunity, because Wayne won't want to "ruin the spectacle".