The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

kermischocolate
Mullet

Re: The Six Nations, now with added bonus points!

Post by kermischocolate »

Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to do a random draw of fixtures that lasts 4 or 8 years for example.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That would be close to the worst idea in the world for the 6 Nations' most important customers, the corporate entertainment sector.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

kermischocolate wrote:Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to do a random draw of fixtures that lasts 4 or 8 years for example.
Well that would be better than rewarding poorly performing teams with home games. I say that not knowing how money is distributed.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Owen Farrell sat out goalkicking at captains run today, Alex Lowozki sic trained with team

Still think England have the bench to win but Fords kicking is even worse, and its a very late change
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Farrell's kicking has been fairly terrible lately too
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:Owen Farrell sat out goalkicking at captains run today, Alex Lowozki sic trained with team

Still think England have the bench to win but Fords kicking is even worse, and its a very late change
We want England to win by 8 points scoring no tries ie 9-0 will do nicely.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:Farrell's kicking has been fairly terrible lately too
I know, he fupped up my fantasy rugby team v Italy with it

England are under pressure here, if T'eo starts at 12 they lose their one impact sub in the backs and get a bit more one dimensional plus they would have trained for 2 weeks with Ford Farrell Joseph (T'eo)

Cant see them getting a bP unless Scotland do some epic brain farts early doors
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Dave Cahill wrote:That would be close to the worst idea in the world for the 6 Nations' most important customers, the corporate entertainment sector.
Peg Leg wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to do a random draw of fixtures that lasts 4 or 8 years for example.
Well that would be better than rewarding poorly performing teams with home games. I say that not knowing how money is distributed.

I don't understand. How would it affect the corporate folks or reward poorly performing teams? Once year each team will still have 3 home games, the next 2.

I meant every 4 years (or 2 or 8), call it a cycle, have a random draw as to which teams play home and away in which order for the duration of the cycle. I.e. If a 4 year cycle fixtures year 3 repeat that of year one, year 4 repeats year 2. Make the cycle 8 years so there's less change if you want. Saves the fixture list favouring the same teams every second year forever.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

kermischocolate wrote:
I don't understand. How would it affect the corporate folks or reward poorly performing teams? Once year each team will still have 3 home games, the next 2.

I meant every 4 years (or 2 or 8), call it a cycle, have a random draw as to which teams play home and away in which order for the duration of the cycle. I.e. If a 4 year cycle fixtures year 3 repeat that of year one, year 4 repeats year 2. Make the cycle 8 years so there's less change if you want. Saves the fixture list favouring the same teams every second year forever.
The corp ents sector make their commitments well into the future - hotels, plane charters, tickets etc are all booked years in advance. We're playing England next week, but these folks are finalising their plans for Ireland v England '21. If a random element is introduced to arranging the fixtures then they'll be annoyed and the Unions don't want to annoy their most prized customers!
I have Bumbleflex
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Alright, so the Six Nations is the best-attended sporting tournament per match in the world, and it's got an inherently unfair two-year home and away structure.

Also, it's the financial powerhouse for all the 6 nations unions, yet it's competing with ambitious clubs in both England and France.

So why not expand it to a home and away every year format?

It would make it a lot easier for actual fans to get seats, make a lot of money, strengthen international rugby compared to the clubs, and give a balance to the tournament structure. It could also enable some creative solutions to the fewer/more teams issue [ eg 5 nations play 2 matches against each other and 1 against Italy, Georgia, and/or winner of 2nd tier tournament ]. More test rugby should help grow standards too.

BNZ and Aus play 6x4n matches + extra Bledisloe game every year so 7 excluding summer/November tours.

Home and away for 5 nations would give 8 for games plus 1 to 3 against Italy etc - not a crazy number overall.

For me anyway, I don't think playing England more often would ever make it less sweet to beat them.

Couldn't happen overnight but surely achievable in time for the corporates to buy their 2021 plane tickets!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

bonzo wrote:Alright, so the Six Nations is the best-attended sporting tournament per match in the world, and it's got an inherently unfair two-year home and away structure.

Also, it's the financial powerhouse for all the 6 nations unions, yet it's competing with ambitious clubs in both England and France.

It would make it a lot easier for actual fans to get seats, make a lot of money, strengthen international rugby compared to the clubs, and give a balance to the tournament structure. It could also enable some creative solutions to the fewer/more teams issue [ eg 5 nations play 2 matches against each other and 1 against Italy, Georgia, and/or winner of 2nd tier tournament ]. More test rugby should help grow standards too.

BNZ and Aus play 6x4n matches + extra Bledisloe game every year so 7 excluding summer/November tours.

Home and away for 5 nations would give 8 for games plus 1 to 3 against Italy etc - not a crazy number overall.

For me anyway, I don't think playing England more often would ever make it less sweet to beat them.

Couldn't happen overnight but surely achievable in time for the corporates to buy their 2021 plane tickets!
I'd disagree with a couple of things there

Firstly, its not the financial powerhouse for all six nations - it is for the Celtic Nations, perhaps marginally, at best, for England, not at all for France.

Secondly, the fewer actual fans there the better for the bottom line. Actual fans spend their own money - which is relatively limited, they aren't on expense accounts and if they're at the game they aren't watching it (and more importantly the advertising) on telly.

Lastly, the Rugby Championship is not a good example - the extra games have given fans rugby fatigue
I have Bumbleflex
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Dave Cahill wrote:
bonzo wrote:Alright, so the Six Nations is the best-attended sporting tournament per match in the world, and it's got an inherently unfair two-year home and away structure.

I'd disagree with a couple of things there

Firstly, its not the financial powerhouse for all six nations - it is for the Celtic Nations, perhaps marginally, at best, for England, not at all for France.

Secondly, the fewer actual fans there the better for the bottom line. Actual fans spend their own money - which is relatively limited, they aren't on expense accounts and if they're at the game they aren't watching it (and more importantly the advertising) on telly.

Lastly, the Rugby Championship is not a good example - the extra games have given fans rugby fatigue
I think you're making my point to an extent - expanding international rugby would change the financial balance between unions and clubs in England and France, thereby reducing the power of the clubs and helping to avoid a soccer type outcome for the game.

After last night's depressing result, I might add that an opportunity for revenge over the Welsh would be great - I'm feeling rugby frustration not rugby fatigue...!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Poor Daire O'Brien doesn't seem to want to be on the studio right now. Hopefully someone in RTE takes note.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

On mature reflection we need England to beat Scotland by more than 15 points.
This would give us the best chance of retaining our 4th place IRB ranking.
Who would have thought post AIs that we'd need England to beat Scotland by 15+ points and do us a big favour in the process.
C'mon England.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dirty play receives it's own reward.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

At time of this comment England led 30-7. Joseph and Watson (and May) really illustrate the importance of out and out pace in international rugby. Get Gilroy, Adeleokun, A.Byrne, Sweetnam in there ASAP!
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:At time of this comment England led 30-7. Joseph and Watson (and May) really illustrate the importance of out and out pace in international rugby. Get Gilroy, Adeleokun, A.Byrne, Sweetnam in there ASAP!
Was thinking something similar.
Whichever of the above is the best under an offensive high ball is the man - Tommy Bowe loike.
Cos we're not going to get through the English defence so it's either around or over them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

May has been muck for them tbf but Watson has been class and Joseph has remembered who he is

But am on the Sweetnam train for Ireland, this summer has to be the start of the 2019 building
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Jaysus that was a nail biter.
Was really worried that Scotland were going to get a TBP.
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

Um, bump?
Hyper conservative selection policy would surely make less sense with annual home and away fixtures...