Instead of Ireland's Call.....

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Instead of Ireland's Call.....

Post by TerenureJim »

Inspired by a comment on another thread what would you rather have than Ireland's call?

I'm partial to this one...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcfnr3Ao8n4
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Instead of Ireland's Call.....

Post by blockhead »

Danny Boy......all the way
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

The foggy dew sends tingles up and down the spine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

An anthem should be something that has a sense of ownership, something that makes you proud to sing, and has a tone that sends shivers down your spine when sang in a full stadium.

At yesterday's match there were 3 songs sang, and all 3 have most those qualities.

Ireland's call is no more than a song, which many refuse to sing, and many that do sing it do so because they feel that it would be rude not to.

Ireland's call has been a disaster since it was first introduced.
I am all for a song that includes all four provinces, but sadly we picked the wrong song.

The Isle is a great song, and I remember hearing before that it was proposed many years ago for a joint Anthem.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote:An anthem should be something that has a sense of ownership, something that makes you proud to sing, and has a tone that sends shivers down your spine when sang in a full stadium.

At yesterday's match there were 3 songs sang, and all 3 have most those qualities.

Ireland's call is no more than a song, which many refuse to sing, and many that do sing it do so because they feel that it would be rude not to.

Ireland's call has been a disaster since it was first introduced.
I am all for a song that includes all four provinces, but sadly we picked the wrong song.

The Isle is a great song, and I remember hearing before that it was proposed many years ago for a joint Anthem.
The Isle is too much of a dirge to be a national anthem.
The field would be a much better bet especially as Munster only have it on loan from Connacht.
Munster could do worse as a mark of respect to Anthony Foley to adopt the Isle for the rest of season.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I think the fields is likely out as its not very all island inclusive given the somewhat political nature of elements of it
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Why would anyone refuse to sing Ireland's call?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I'd imagine it's because the lyrics are just about nothing. Come what day? Come what hour? It's a song about nothing

Something I'd really like to see adopted is a flag of some sort to represent the whole island. I don't much care what's on it - St Patrick's cross on a green background? - but using the crests of the various sporting unions isn't going to stir anyone's soul. It'd be nice to have something common to all sports and political persuasions so that athletes like Rory McIlroy weren't put in the awkward position of having to choose all the time

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Come the day, come the hour.

surely the day and the hour are today and now? That's a no brainer. That's not a valid reason the refuse to sing an anthem, and not one I would find very plausible.

The air of it's not great, but in fairness it's no worse than any of the alternatives being suggested here.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Come the day, come the hour.

surely the day and the hour are today and now? That's a no brainer. That's not a valid reason the refuse to sing an anthem, and not one I would find very plausible.

The air of it's not great, but in fairness it's no worse than any of the alternatives being suggested here.
It's a lot worse, it's just so bland.

Am I arsed singing it? not really because I find it meaningless and just generally a poor tune. But if we had a song that meant something, if we had a tune that has a bit of history and not just "we need something that doesn't offend anyone", also I wouldn't be happy with a song that offended anyone hence no ArNaBh or Fields when we're away and no Molly either.

It just irkes me that for such a musically talented nation "the call" is what we have to put up with
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Em, just a suggestion, you could try losing the self consciousness and belt it out with all of your might. Never know you might just surprise yourself and grow to love it?

gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

If i had one wish in life it would be that "hey baby let the free birds fly!" never be uttered again. The Fields of Athenry is a stunning song which reminds me of my childhood. The sped up version version with clapping and the "IRA" bit are as inspiring as a Carrolls' Irish Gift Store.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Yeah, maybe that's what ruined it for me

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Why would anyone refuse to sing Ireland's call?
They don't. it's belted out with gusto at every international.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Why would anyone refuse to sing Ireland's call?
They don't. it's belted out with gusto at every international.
Just picking up on m#1 saying some people refusing to sing it.

kickahead
Learner

Post by kickahead »

I've often thought Luke Kelly's 'song for Ireland ' could be an option. Obviously the lyrics would have to be changed up but if it was done tastefully by the right artist it could be a runner.
I never sing irelands call. It all just seems a bit forced and cringeworty. Especially during the middle instrumental bit when no one seems to be sure what's going on.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

kickahead wrote:I've often thought Luke Kelly's 'song for Ireland ' could be an option. Obviously the lyrics would have to be changed up but if it was done tastefully by the right artist it could be a runner.

It was looked at for 95 when the process that led to Irelands Call was embarked upon, but its not Luke Kellys song, it was written by the Colcloughs, a well known (in folk music circles) songwriting married couple from England. It was decided before the process was started that one of the requriements was that that the song had to be written by a songwriter either from the Island of Ireland or with very strong links to the Island. Also, ownership would be an issue.
I have Bumbleflex
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

How about something off rattle and hum? Or the cranberries?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Surprised that the auld triangle hasn't been suggested

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Surprised that the auld triangle hasn't been suggested

It's a bit Dublin centric that said Molly used to be sung with gusto at internationals before the fields